What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will there ever be another rugby league game

Nuke

Staff member
Favourite moment from playing ET's Rugby League as a kid was playing in a Grand Final for Newcastle, being behind with only something like 11secs remaining and needing to kickoff from halfway.
A perfectly weighted kick found my left winger on the full in full flight and he scored in the corner.
Given the primitiveness of the game, once the fulltime siren went, game ended (not when that play ended after the siren). I had no time to run closer to the posts. My goalkicker booted it hard and straight and it JUST got over the crossbar before the final whistle and I won the game by either 1 or 2 points.

Probably the highlight of my 12yr existence at that point..!

Fangs

Coach
So what game do I run simulations on now? And which one has a community to update my squad with new players?

Not interested in manager games. I want to see action.

Nuke

Staff member
That brings back some memories!

I won't have seen that for probably 22 years or so, but it's amazing how much I found I remembered of it.

I wonder if the old DosBox thing would allow my laptop to play it...

Fangs

Coach
That brings back some memories!

I won't have seen that for probably 22 years or so, but it's amazing how much I found I remembered of it.

I wonder if the old DosBox thing would allow my laptop to play it...

Works just fine if you can get it a working. Gotta fiddle with it.

I love the step up in stamina when you play Origin or test football. Its like they give them all steroids.

Exsilium

First Grade
I wouldn’t put too much faith in that article

“Big Ant has developed every game in the series since the original in 2003.”

umm no

Im sure it’s all rubbish.

There’s a lot of incentive to release a game in 2021. The game has a new batch of marketable superstars and the technology has improved ten fold since the last release.

That being said, the rugby games have struggled to nail an engine and development to truely replicate the game. I’d imagine League is the same

Someone2

Juniors
Can’t believe we still haven’t got a new game. There were rumours last year that we were gonna get a new one but still nothing

the only games I really play are wwe and nrl haven’t touched my PS4 in over 6months (last game played gta5)
when a new nrl game comes out I’ll buy a ps5

all the old games by big ant suck so the last 2years I’ve just been playing rugbyleague19 on the iPad which is a good game and would be awesome if they just made that into a PS game

Choppy91

Juniors
An email shared directly from the NRL has confirmed that they are looking to release a game in 2022. The email reads as follows:

“We are currently working with the developer to ensure the best possible game will be released. At this stage, the launch date is yet to be confirmed but we are hoping to launch in 2022”.

This is the second time in 2 years a fan has shared an email from the NRL stating that the game will be launched in the following year. Last year, the NRL specified a potential launch date of 2021, but have now pushed it back to 2022 without any official media release.

*https://www.popcornbanter.com/will-there-be-a-rugby-league-live-5/

soc123_au

Staff member
An email shared directly from the NRL has confirmed that they are looking to release a game in 2022. The email reads as follows:

“We are currently working with the developer to ensure the best possible game will be released. At this stage, the launch date is yet to be confirmed but we are hoping to launch in 2022”.

This is the second time in 2 years a fan has shared an email from the NRL stating that the game will be launched in the following year. Last year, the NRL specified a potential launch date of 2021, but have now pushed it back to 2022 without any official media release.

*https://www.popcornbanter.com/will-there-be-a-rugby-league-live-5/
A lot of games that were due this year have been pushed back to 2022. So possibly it's true and not just lip service.

Nuke

Staff member
Just re-watching that intro video for ARL '96. Wow. They can't make an intro like that again in 2021. Look at the clips they used: Most of them are illegal tackles, brawls, and an occasional headbutt. Ahh, the good old days...

As for the new game, what would we like to see included?
I'd be very surprised if they don't include the NRLW clubs, but I'd like to see the opportunity for clubs without an NRLW team to have one. Womens Origin, too, I'd expect to be in there.
I'd love to see all competing nations actually have the proper logos and kit designs.
I'd also love, somehow, for any and all jersey / logo / whatever mods to be able to be uploaded to somewhere where all users can access. I'd love to create updated / old / new jerseys, logos, ect, but I have a PS4, so I can't work my magic on my PC and then send them across to my PS4 game. Is it even possible?? I dunno. Just a frustrated designer rabbitting on now, I suppose. Hoping..!

Obviously some gameplay things being tweaked / fixed would be appreciated too. Probably a few too many for me to go into, but I'm sure plenty here could list some.

Fangs

Coach
Just re-watching that intro video for ARL '96. Wow. They can't make an intro like that again in 2021. Look at the clips they used: Most of them are illegal tackles, brawls, and an occasional headbutt. Ahh, the good old days...

I still watch it every now and then. Crazy that it was the intro to the game. Used to love watching it.

Nuke

Staff member
Especially when the closest the game came to including a brawl was when there was the big stacks-on occasionally! I believe it was a left-over from it being a rugby union game, but I always liked to think a mouthy player said something in the tackle and fists started flying!