What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will there ever be another rugby league game

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I'm resorting to playing Madden for the first time ever because the Rugby League games suck so bad.

See what you make me do, NRL? You useless f**ks.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Maybe the league franchise should go back to EA sports..

Not in a million years will EA invest in such a small sport again. Our best hope is the Aus branch of Creative Assembly, but they're probably too busy with Total War to bother. They did do ARL '96 so there is precedent.

One thing I know for sure is Big Ant need to be slingshotted into the sun and never touched again. So f**king bad, but I guess that is what we get when a studio based in Melbourne is hired to make an NRL game.

nöyd

Staff member
ARL 96 on PC is downloadable as abandonware apparently, might give it a go when I get home from work, hopefully it works on Windows 10.

Also wondering if it can be modded to update it to 2021/22...

Generalzod

Immortal
ARL 96 on PC is downloadable as abandonware apparently, might give it a go when I get home from work, hopefully it works on Windows 10.

Also wondering if it can be modded to update it to 2021/22...
Will Dos games play on window 10.....

nöyd

Staff member
Got ARL 96 running fine on Windows 10, the download I got came with a .bat file, double click that and the game starts with no issue.

Pretty pixelated on a 32" 4k monitor though (obviously)

Kakihara

Juniors
I'm willing to give Big Ant one last chance provided they use a decent game engine because what ever they are using now is complete dog :poo:. Unreal Engine 5 could do wonders for their games

nöyd

Staff member
BA's games issues go far deeper than how they look. A new graphics engine ain't going to help if the gameplay continues to come up short.

Kakihara

Juniors
Thats true but a game engine does play a big part in the gameplay provided the developers know how to take make use of it. Unreal 5 is looking like a game changer for smaller devs because of its many features and the fact Epic is only charging once revenue hits a certain point so could help for a studio like BA.

Matua

Bench
I'm still playing my career as a coach in the most recent version of the game (RL3 or 4 I can't remember) - it's 2052, the game has managed to not create anymore props from NZ so I basically play an all second row and lock forward pack when playing as the Kiwis, my club team is Toronto but they have Dunedin stadium as a home ground too. It also randomly places players in teams, so Samoa is basically white these days and Oz has gone completely Poly. NZ is a mix. England is still fairly white.

Even with all the glitches/stupidity etc I still have fun playing it.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I would assume the game would be released towards the end of this year then? Or do they get faces early on in development then add/subtract/swap players to teams closer to release?

Ozzi_78

First Grade
I would assume the game would be released towards the end of this year then? Or do they get faces early on in development then add/subtract/swap players to teams closer to release?
Was wondering myself would faces be early or late. I have no idea. Need confirmation of this from saints4ever

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
gjd1878rxlc81.jpg

God help us all.