What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Tigers be bandwagoners in 2006?

DJ1

Juniors
Looking at the average home crowd figures for each NRL season you find an interesting stat when you compare the crowd figures for the team which won the premiership that year and how there crowd support increased or decreased the following year.

Obviously the higher the rise in the year following a premiership the greater the degree of bandwagoners.

Year : Premiers : Prem Yr : Nxt Yr : BWagon Factor
1998 : Broncos : 20073 : 22763 : 13.4%
1999 : Storm : 12902 : 13756 : 6.6%
2000 : Broncos : 21239 : 20035 : -5.7%
2001 : Knights : 17553 : 18519 : 5.5%
2002 : Roosters : 11449 : 16100 : 40.6%
2003 : Panthers : 17771 : 16836 : -5.3%
2004 : Bulldogs : 19693 : 18997 : -3.5%
2005 : Tigers : 18635 : ????? : ???%

How will the Tigers average home crowds compare to last year?

Will they have a large increase and develop a bandwagon component or will they remain reasonable stable?

simon says

First Grade
Shouldnt last years count as "the bandwagon"???Before we started winning last year there were no Tiger fans.......club official super imposed crowds over an empty stadia to fool the media into believing there were fans that supported the club.

We are all bandwagon fans.....I played darts on the weekends prior to the Tigers winning the comp,now Im 100 percent behind the Tigers.

Yay team,carn the bandwagon......

sooperdooper

First Grade
well realistically this will happen all the time, in all sports.

people love a winner! some people may not be into the sport but just followed the tigers due to being local etc and attend a few games etc....

all teams doing well will have a bandwagon

It's one term I'm sick of hearing - bandwagon.

So what if the Tigers crowds increase this year, it can only be a good thing. And its only natural that a team who finds success gains a greater interest and hence increased crowd figures.

Call it the "bandwagon" if you like, but regardless of what it may be....here we go......"rugby league is the true winner"......

Balmain_Boy

Exactly.

What do you want the club to do, turn away people because they've only just started to follow the team? Regardless, our bandwagon will be even larger I would think. Simply because those other teams were already successful. Last year was the first time we tasted any sort of success, albeit the highest team honour in the game.

sunny

A bandwagon can be both a good and a bad thing.

As I said before though, watch Souths. If they ever start to do any good, they'll have the biggest bandwagon of all time. It'll be truly nauseating stuff.

Mr Saab

Referee
Bring back John Fifita said:
Call it the "bandwagon" if you like, but regardless of what it may be....here we go......"rugby league is the true winner"......

if the Tigers are going well then league is going well. ;-)

Davester

Juniors
Bring back John Fifita said:
It's one term I'm sick of hearing - bandwagon.

So what if the Tigers crowds increase this year, it can only be a good thing. And its only natural that a team who finds success gains a greater interest and hence increased crowd figures.

Well said :clap:

There is always going to be the more "plastic" fans supporting all forms of sport.
Let them jump from "Wagon" to "Wagon" doesn't hurt the game.
Just gives new people more exposure to Rugby League.

DJ1

Juniors
I don't think they will increase dramatically this year but remain reasonably steady.

Most likely range -5% to +5%

aids

Bench
half of the home games won't go up to dramtically, all six games at campbelltown and leichardt were all close to or at compacity in 2005

the telstra games on the other hand could get 30,000+ to at least 2 games this year.

also, the drop in attendace for penrith and broncos are strange, both teams wen't well the following years after winning the comp

40% increase for the roosters is excellent

Their number of supporters were increased by the number of FOFF(Federation of Fairweather supporters) members and supporters there are.

Very expensive being a FOFF member having to buy different jersey's throught the year depending on who is leading the comp. They all bought Nth Queensland and Wests Tigers jumers on the week of the grandfinal and a number even had return flight to Townsville booked for after the grand final.

OVP

Coach
DJ1 said:
2003 : Panthers : 17771 : 16836 : -5.3%

Those Panthers figures would be interesting if you showed the previous years figures. Their bandwagon was enormous in 2003, however i say good luck to them. Without these so-called "bandwagoners" that every stupid person seems to hate, the game would simply be dead. The more the merrier i say, we need them all.

Danish

Referee
Nice try squeezing in the Double-header included crowd numbers for the bulldogs there DJ1 ;)

gallagher

Juniors
The tigers home ground attendances have gone up for the past two years. Thats before they won the comp. Is that bandwagoning aswell?

Balmain_Boy

OVP said:
Those Panthers figures would be interesting if you showed the previous years figures. Their bandwagon was enormous in 2003, however i say good luck to them. Without these so-called "bandwagoners" that every stupid person seems to hate, the game would simply be dead. The more the merrier i say, we need them all.

Exactly!

I don't like being referred to as a bandwagoner. I don't like that some people who don't know I supported the Tigers for 13 years (never seeing a final series) will think I just started supporting towards the end of last year. But that's it. I hope we have a sh*tload of bandwagoners who stay on the wagon when it gets derailed. After all it's more money for my club and the game.

LRC

I could never understand why the roosters got somuch crap over having bandwagon supporters...after all..out of all teams they have the most competition trying to attract their locals than any other..they have the swans, warratahs,so many pubs and clubs etc...
Yet they have had good crowd figures and have being keeping the game alive in the east..if they werent around winning ,the game would be dead in the city really.
This is important forthe league because it helps introduce people to the game with influence and money who may have gone to the other codes if not for a successful team in the city/east.
They may never fully support a team but may enjoy going to marquee games at the sfs which could hook them in.
Other teams dont risk losing fans to rival codes as much as the roosters /raiders /broncos... look at the raiders crowds...how many kids will grow up never knowing that the raiders were the number one team in town.
How hard is it going to be for themtorebuild their crowds if they dont become a force again.

Southernsaint

Staff member
marshall stalin said:
Their number of supporters were increased by the number of FOFF(Federation of Fairweather supporters) members and supporters there are.

What's doing?!?!

Latest posts