What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie "I HATE SOUTHS"

gong_eagle

First Grade
By Steve Mascord | March 11, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23353424-5006066,00.html

WILLIE Mason last night ensured a fiery opening to the centenary season on Friday when he declared to a room full of Sydney Roosters faithful: "I hate Souths". "That's nice to hear," was the response of South Sydney co-owner Peter Holmes a Court.
The Tricolours' star recruit made the comment at the club's season launch after coach Brad Fittler named his side for Friday night's premiership-opening clash between the bitter inner-city rivals at ANZ Stadium.
Asked on stage at Eastern Suburbs Leagues Club if he was buying into the century-old rivalry with South Sydney, 198cm Mason said with a grin: "I hate Souths too so there's no problem there.
"I'll jump on that bandwagon."
An amused Fittler, who surprisingly named internationals Mark O'Meley and Iosia Soliola on his bench, later commented: "It's always good to sell papers but Willie's good, as long as he backs it up."
Following the presentation, Mason told The Daily Telegraph: "I think it's great for the game.
"I obviously haven't been involved in the hundred-year rivalry but I think it's something you've got to embrace. It's part of the club here, part of the history.
"Souths, they really try and thrive on it. You can't look too much into it. We've just got to worry about our own game.
"When the ball's kicked off, everybody is going to want to win the game. The rest is trying to sell tickets, really."
Souths' other owner, Russell Crowe, has made no secret of his distaste for Sydney Roosters and players will be reminded over the next few days when they hear extracts from his infamous Book Of Feuds.
Mason's former Bulldogs teammate O'Meley declined to join him in criticising the Bunnies, telling MC Tim Webster and 200 guests: "I've got mates there".
But in a dig at his former club the Bulldogs, O'Meley said one of the positives about his move to Bondi Junction was "there's not much drama off the field".
In leaving O'Meley, New Zealand international Soliola and Queensland Origin stars Nate Myles and Danny Nutley out of his starting side, Fittler has a powerful bench.
But he said O'Meley may still start. "The side isn't finalised yet, we're still waiting on a few injuries," Fittler said. "We won't know until Wednesday or Thursday."
As well as the representative quartet, Frank-Paul Nuausala, Mitch Aubusson and Sam Perrett have been named on an extended reserves list.
Sia has just come back from a busted knee cap, said Fittler. Sam Perrett is more likely to play reserve grade, Mitch Aubusson is more likely to play reserve grade.
Former Warrington centre Brent Grose has won a start after signing a modest deal and there is no room for Myles in the back row of Anthony Tupou, Craig Fitzgibbon and Mason.

MattJ

Juniors
Wasnt all that long ago you were saying how you hate Easts wasnt it willy?
Anything to keep your big stupid head in the media i guess.

he use to bag the Easts when he was at the dogs so it sounds a bit hypocritical especially since he criticized O'Meley and Wing for leaving their club and heading elsewhere. A couple of months later he did the same thing, but with a difference the other 2 players left "peacefully" Mason wanted to take half our team with him.

parra pete

Referee
Wait for him to come out with "We are the Chooks of War"....statement...

Willie Mason. What a joke!!!!

strewth_mate

Bench
Karmawave said:
He did, just last night on Fox Sports News...

" Yeah its been tough on my brain, mentally "

:lol:

Ah this is great, whether or not he backs up what he says at least it's entertainment. Now if only the footy would bloody start.

Abz

Juniors
gong_eagle said:
But in a dig at his former club the Bulldogs, O'Meley said one of the positives about his move to Bondi Junction was "there's not much drama off the field".
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nope, Mason pissing in Public wasn't an off-field drama was it Shrek!

Grail

Juniors
If Mason ended up at Souths instead and came out with an "I hate Roosters" comment, I'm sure all you bunnies fans would be singing his praises.

When he played for the Bulldogs he hated the Eels. Now he plays for the Roosters he hates the Bunnies. It's good for the game these rivalries, and rivalry is built on that kind of hate. It's harder to hate someone if they think you're pretty cool. Whether he truly believes it or not is moot, but if he is getting into the spirit of his club, isn't that a good thing - isn't that what we want in this day and age of club jumping, someone who can instantly empathize with their new club.

Of course, Willie might only be able to empathize with a brick, but meh!

Dogaholic

First Grade
Grail said:
If Mason ended up at Souths instead and came out with an "I hate Roosters" comment, I'm sure all you bunnies fans would be singing his praises.

When he played for the Bulldogs he hated the Eels. Now he plays for the Roosters he hates the Bunnies. It's good for the game these rivalries, and rivalry is built on that kind of hate. It's harder to hate someone if they think you're pretty cool. Whether he truly believes it or not is moot, but if he is getting into the spirit of his club, isn't that a good thing - isn't that what we want in this day and age of club jumping, someone who can instantly empathize with their new club.

When he played for the Dogs he hated the Roosters more than any other team actually.

So if he went to Souths and said that he hated the Roosters there would be no change except the colours he wears.

Freddy's Girl

Juniors
jimmy_the_greek said:
he use to bag the Easts when he was at the dogs so it sounds a bit hypocritical especially since he criticized O'Meley and Wing for leaving their club and heading elsewhere. A couple of months later he did the same thing, but with a difference the other 2 players left "peacefully" Mason wanted to take half our team with him.

He didn't bag out wing for leaving the roosters, its more about how wing went about it, and fair enough to.

Roosterphin1

Juniors
Everyone hates Souths....what with all their whining and "poor me" attitude. It is only the Souths club and fans that believes they are this truly loved club that league cant do without

Grail said:

ahh, myself personally, I wouldnt wanna go there, Mason is so over-rated its not funny., is only good close to the line, otherwise he goes MIA for alot of the game.

Roosterphin1

Juniors
Rabbitohs2005 said:
ahh, myself personally, I wouldnt wanna go there, Mason is so over-rated its not funny., is only good close to the line, otherwise he goes MIA for alot of the game.

mmmmm.....must be why he keeps getting picked for Australia??

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Freddy's Girl said:
He didn't bag out wing for leaving the roosters, its more about how wing went about it, and fair enough to.

Wing went about his move South with 1000 times more credibility than Willie did when he left our club.

bulldog

Bench
Timmah said:
Wing went about his move South with 1000 times more credibility than Willie did when he left our club.

I don't think either exit was handled with much dignity, Wing getting paraded about while still under contract and Willies comments that the Roosters jersey was just another colour aren't the best look for their new or old clubs.

Most hated player in the NRL!!! by a country mile... this guy is the biggest clown in the history of the NRL off-field., even worse than Mundine...