What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie "I HATE SOUTHS"

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Jatz Crackers said:
I think they were very different.

The troubles mason caused at the dogs was prolonged, destabalising and the threat of taking players with him was tantamount to mutiny. Most of his public statements were laced with malice.

I dont believe the intent of Wings public appearance was meant with any malice and im pretty sure wasnt at his own request. Rather the club owners.

Hit it on the end. The "woe is me" angle from the poor poor Roosters is wearing thin.

Karmawave

Bench
Oh its all promotion for the game.

Rugby League needs characters , some we love, some we hate.

That's what entertainment is all about. I personally think he is awesome for the game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Um, what Willie did hardly promoted the game in a positive light. :?

TeZbIaN

Juniors
Roosterphin1 said:
Last time I checked Coogee was in the Eastern Suburbs?
Mate your clutching at straws there.
Last time I checked, Coogee Wombats is a souths juniors team.

Grow a brain you knob!

i like mason

this is another example of him helping to promote RL.

on top of being a fantastic player he is a character as well.

too many players these days come up with robotic answers to questions

with mason, crowe and holmes a court all talking up RL, its all really good publicity for the game

Freddy's Girl

Juniors
Shorty said:
It gives him more excuse than Mason,who had no past history with the Roosters and has admitted dislike for them on occasion.
Makes him look like a hypocritical tool.

I'm not questioning which one is worse but because wing has a history with souths doesn't make wing any better. Wing direspected his club and fans, just like mason did. Players stating they hate other clubs is not unusal, is it? I'm sure anasta has said it in the past about the roosters to. Those comments build up a game more, just like mason saying now "I hate souths".

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
gong_eagle said:
By Steve Mascord | March 11, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23353424-5006066,00.html

WILLIE Mason last night ensured a fiery opening to the centenary season on Friday when he declared to a room full of Sydney Roosters faithful: "I hate Souths". "That's nice to hear," was the response of South Sydney co-owner Peter Holmes a Court.
The Tricolours' star recruit made the comment at the club's season launch after coach Brad Fittler named his side for Friday night's premiership-opening clash between the bitter inner-city rivals at ANZ Stadium.
Asked on stage at Eastern Suburbs Leagues Club if he was buying into the century-old rivalry with South Sydney, 198cm Mason said with a grin: "I hate Souths too so there's no problem there.
"I'll jump on that bandwagon."
An amused Fittler, who surprisingly named internationals Mark O'Meley and Iosia Soliola on his bench, later commented: "It's always good to sell papers but Willie's good, as long as he backs it up."
Following the presentation, Mason told The Daily Telegraph: "I think it's great for the game.
"I obviously haven't been involved in the hundred-year rivalry but I think it's something you've got to embrace. It's part of the club here, part of the history.
"Souths, they really try and thrive on it. You can't look too much into it. We've just got to worry about our own game.
"When the ball's kicked off, everybody is going to want to win the game. The rest is trying to sell tickets, really."
Souths' other owner, Russell Crowe, has made no secret of his distaste for Sydney Roosters and players will be reminded over the next few days when they hear extracts from his infamous Book Of Feuds.
Mason's former Bulldogs teammate O'Meley declined to join him in criticising the Bunnies, telling MC Tim Webster and 200 guests: "I've got mates there".
But in a dig at his former club the Bulldogs, O'Meley said one of the positives about his move to Bondi Junction was "there's not much drama off the field".
In leaving O'Meley, New Zealand international Soliola and Queensland Origin stars Nate Myles and Danny Nutley out of his starting side, Fittler has a powerful bench.
But he said O'Meley may still start. "The side isn't finalised yet, we're still waiting on a few injuries," Fittler said. "We won't know until Wednesday or Thursday."
As well as the representative quartet, Frank-Paul Nuausala, Mitch Aubusson and Sam Perrett have been named on an extended reserves list.
Sia has just come back from a busted knee cap, said Fittler. Sam Perrett is more likely to play reserve grade, Mitch Aubusson is more likely to play reserve grade.
Former Warrington centre Brent Grose has won a start after signing a modest deal and there is no room for Myles in the back row of Anthony Tupou, Craig Fitzgibbon and Mason.
I never thought moving to Bondi would make a person smarter, alas, I've been proven wrong. My dislike for Mason has now subsided somewhat.

Roosterphin1

Juniors
TeZbIaN said:
Mate your clutching at straws there.
Last time I checked, Coogee Wombats is a souths juniors team.

Grow a brain you knob!

I just love internet insults......they just have so much impact.

Ask the question why is the Coogee Wombats a Souths Junior club?

In the end last time I looked Coogee was well and truly the Eastern Suburbs....that fact cannot be proven wrong

Karmawave

Bench
Timmah said:
Um, what Willie did hardly promoted the game in a positive light. :?

Mate all publicity is good publicity.

Why else would News LTD, owners of the NRL, continually let their newspapers run campaigns against footballers in nightclubs drinking late :lol:

Because it puts Rugby League on tele, and it gets us talking about it, and it creates interest.

Positive light or not, it sells - newspapers and bums on seats at games.

Tom Ace

Bench
Jatz Crackers said:
I think they were very different.

The troubles mason caused at the dogs was prolonged, destabalising and the threat of taking players with him was tantamount to mutiny. Most of his public statements were laced with malice.

I dont believe the intent of Wings public appearance was meant with any malice and im pretty sure wasnt at his own request. Rather the club owners.

Speaks volumes for the sort of club they are.

ozzie

Bench
Abz said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nope, Mason pissing in Public wasn't an off-field drama was it Shrek!
I guess neither was cough cough harbour and the dogs

Eels Dude

Coach
Freddy's Girl said:
I'm not questioning which one is worse but because wing has a history with souths doesn't make wing any better. Wing direspected his club and fans, just like mason did. Players stating they hate other clubs is not unusal, is it? I'm sure anasta has said it in the past about the roosters to. Those comments build up a game more, just like mason saying now "I hate souths".

I don't see how Wing disrespected the club. He gave them his full service for year on end and when his contract was over he signed with Souths, given the situation when he left in the first place it was only going to be natural for them to celebrate it the way they did. It was easily South's decision to heavily publicise it. The Roosters started it in the first place too, by announcing Wing was leaving to join Souths on their website before any announcement was made by Wing or Souths. The Roosters got what they deserved.

Willie on the other hand bagged the club and those in it left right and centre before walking out on his contract. As much as I hate the Bulldogs, I felt sorry for them. It was a really low act for him to act like that and give his fans and Bulldogs fans no consideration whatsoever

Shorty

Staff member
Freddy's Girl said:
I'm not questioning which one is worse but because wing has a history with souths doesn't make wing any better. Wing direspected his club and fans, just like mason did.
Oh please for signing with Souths?
As others have said what Mason did was much worse and intentional.

Wing can do what he wants when signing,I didn't really see what the fuss was about tbh.
The guy just was happy to be at Souths and he was a junior coming back,if it had been any other club you wouldn't give a sh*t.
Freddy's Girl said:
I Players stating they hate other clubs is not unusal, is it? I'm sure anasta has said it in the past about the roosters to. Those comments build up a game more, just like mason saying now "I hate souths".
Looks like you've completely missed the point.

Tom Ace

Bench
Timmah said:
Mason was far worse. He made a big deal about the club and practically badmouthed anyone he could before the door hit his ass on the way out. Whether or not the club was in crisis or tatters was irrelevant, he turned his back on the many years of service and became a giant hypocrite in the process.

Wing paraded as a future bunny, and at no time made derogatory remarks toward the Roosters as he exited. The only words against them he's said since have come very recently IIRC... on the eve of a clash with them.

Like a bitter ex-wife, you just won't stop whingeing about him will you?

He's gone, let it go and move on for f#!ks sake.

Max Power said:
Like a bitter ex-wife, you just won't stop whingeing about him will you?

He's gone, let it go and move on for f#!ks sake.

People from all walks of life, differing clubs, and of all persuasions dislike willie mason.

So its not just Tim and not just bulldogs supporters.

Latest posts