What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie Mason, New York Jets

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh can just see him standing up to an NFL offensive line! If Kidwell can smash him these guys will eat him up! He could always be trying out as the guy who holds the ball for point afters of course!

aqua_duck

Coach
imagine if he made the jets, they'd have willie mason and ben graham (ex afl player)

Though I don't think Willie would make it, he's never played the game before, gridiron is a vey strategic game, his brain wouldn't be able to handle it

aqua_duck

Coach
gaterooze said:
It's a strategic game for the *coach* and quarterback, the other players are just cogs.
I think thats abit ignorant because the defence has so many different plays and formations that they can employ and that players need to learn

t-ba

Post Whore
hrundi99 said:
A lot of those big blokes don't strike me as being particularly clever...

They secretly compose operatta's and read the original Archaic Greek Version of Homer's Iliad in their spare time

Mr Saab

Referee
hrundi99 said:

Mensa members they may not be, but they would have much more of a clue about the "ins and outs" of NFL than what you, i, or Willie has.
If Willie plays one game of pro NFL then the sports world has well and truly gone mad

aqua_duck

Coach
hrundi99 said:
they not geniuses but they'd played the game they're whole lives so they know whats going on, willie has never played the game before.

Think of it as learnng a new language, say French, even the dumbest french prson would know french but say you get a really stupid italian person to learn french it'd take them along time.

innsaneink

Referee
aqua_duck said:
they not geniuses but they'd played the game they're whole lives so they know whats going on, willie has never played the game before.

Think of it as learnng a new language, say French, even the dumbest french prson would know french but say you get a really stupid italian person to learn french it'd take them along time.

So if it takes so long and virtually impossible to learn unless you been playing since you were a kid, why are the Jets club, coach and admin wasting their time looking at Willie?
Theyre the experts.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Novelty? Publicity? To make their unintelligent players feel smarter? Who knows but I don't know of any sportsman who didn't play Am Football at College level who has made it in NFL history (excepting kickers who hardly need a lifetime of experience at Am Football to kick the ball!)

I played at high school level and as a linebacker (not the most challenging position) I had around 50 plays I had to know off by heart. God knows how many they have at NFL level?

aqua_duck

Coach
Danish said:
Give me one aspect of a blockers game that requires either talent or athleticism.
a blocker has to learn a whole offensive playbook, running plays, passing plays, and its not easy trying to block a really athletic DL lineman, someone like Mario Williams for example who's 6'7, 129kg and runs 40 yards in a tick over 40 seconds. O-lineman are very highly paid, if it was so easy everyone would be doing it

Stranger

Coach
Danish said:
Give me one aspect of a blockers game that requires either talent or athleticism.

Aqua Duck said:
a blocker has to learn a whole offensive playbook, running plays, passing plays, and its not easy trying to block a really athletic DL lineman, someone like Mario Williams for example who's 6'7, 129kg and runs 40 yards in a tick over 40 seconds. O-lineman are very highly paid, if it was so easy everyone would be doing it

Is that good enough Danish?

Angry_eel

First Grade
innsaneink said:
So if it takes so long and virtually impossible to learn unless you been playing since you were a kid, why are the Jets club, coach and admin wasting their time looking at Willie?
Theyre the experts.
Read this mornings newspaper(Tele), they don't seem THAT interested to me.

His manager must have been bugging them for months so they finally got sick of him and thought "allright, bring him over, we'll have a look at him". By US standards willie isn't that huge. just remember what chris rock said about the NFL "N*gg* phuckin large".

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I do see a few holes in their rules that could be exploited. Maybe Willie could bring more than impact, he could bring a new direction.

innsaneink

Referee
Angry_eel said:
Read this mornings newspaper(Tele), they don't seem THAT interested to me.

His manager must have been bugging them for months so they finally got sick of him and thought "allright, bring him over, we'll have a look at him". By US standards willie isn't that huge. just remember what chris rock said about the NFL "N*gg* phuckin large".

:lol: They dont seem.....

Yeah you can look at it that way if you like, but they are a professional sporting outfit, and i'm sure they get thousands of similar requests from wannabees every year.

Latest posts