What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie Mason's NFL Dream

Paullyboy

Coach
Has Mason actually had meetings with NFL teams? I havent taken this thing seriously at all and thus haven't devoted much more than a passing glance to it.

Fin077

Juniors
I think he has Paully.

From memory, San Francisco, the Jets, and Giants wanted to talk....there were a couple other teams, but I cant remember who!

Cupid Stunt

Not going till his contract is over with the Dogs. Anyone know how tight his 2 or 3 years are he has left?

Eelementary

Post Whore
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=169060

Mason in NFL trial with New York Jets

Thursday Dec 7 10:00 AEDT
0712_mason_a.jpg

Bulldogs forward Willie Mason has taken the first step to realising his dream of playing in the NFL after taking part in a low key trial with the New York Jets.
Mason took part in a speed work session with the side this week.
He was invited by the club to test his power and speed in a non-contact workout in front of Jets trainers.
Mason has long expressed a desire to play in the NFL and was given permission from the Bulldogs to undertake a trial.

A statement from the Bulldogs said it expected him to fulfil his contractual arrangements with the club, with Mason signed-on until 2008.
"After some original concerns about Willie having the trial we were convinced this was something he wanted to do out of interest rather than a desperate urge to play NFL," Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad said.
Noad and Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes had visited the US on a fact finding mission for the club last month and dropped in on three NFL clubs on the trip.

legend

Coach
Willie would be a TE or DE. I've never seen a 6 foot 5 fullback or linebacker.

Willie would be great across the middle of the field as a TE against LB's and DB's because he would create mismatches due to his height.

If he wants to go then now is the time. If he leaves it any later he will miss the boat.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Antonio Gates - 6' 4", 260 pounds
Kellen Winslow - 6' 4", 248 pounds
Tony Gonzalez - 6' 5", 251 pounds
Jeremy Shcokey - 6' 5", 251 pounds
Willie - 6' 5", 255 or so pounds?

So yeah he matches up physically with the best TE's in the game. Also similar build to some of the best DE's in Abraham and Kearse so i'd say Legend is on the money as to where he could play.

Cupid Stunt

I get the feeling he thinks because he plays Madden he can play the game. I dont think he will pick it up quick enough or well enough to be a force. He may make a roster for a year or 2, & yes I agree thats still impressive, but I dont see him making waves over there. Big mobile guys are a dime a dozen in College, Mason is big BUT older AND has no real idea of the game.

Put his physique up against someone like Shawn Merriman & he suddenly doesn't look so domineering. Merrimans age makes him a more attractive prospect & the fact he has a good grounding in the game just means that although Mason may have a good league highlight reel, Merriman has the runs on the board in the game of Gridiron where it counts. There a hundred Merrimans, or close enough to, running around over there so Mason wont be a standout.

Sav Rocca I thought would be the next Aussie to wave our flag in that game with any real pride. Until Adrian Thomas is done at school at least.

legend

Coach
Willie has a fair bit of agility and his cover tackle a while back would have the NFL teams taking notice.

We don't know how much Willie knows about the NFL and he may have done some prep work and had a look at some playbooks and might be a little firther advanced than we thought.

I liken Willie to Jason Taylor of the Dolphins and I'd love to have Taylor at the Broncos. He is a quick, athletic DE who can get around guards with ease and playing DE would be an easier position to pick up than TE IMO.

legend

Coach
Taylor is 6 foot six and 255 so Willie is almost an exact clone of Taylor's size.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well, the reason I mentioned FB was because I question his hands.

I think that, with his size and (presumable) strength, he could make a handy blocking FB. And even pick up short gains in a 3rd and 3 sort of scenario.

But as you pointed out, he could even make a decent TE.

I'm not sure if he'd have the concentration required to play, though...Tends to go missing mentally at times.

Mal Meninga

Bench
An article in the paper said that Mangini didn't think a great deal of him, they just wanted to have a look. The drills he did weren't even football related!
Also had to do with his age and that the complexity's may be too much for someone as raw, while the feeling is if Aussies want to make it in the NFL/NBA etc they should go through college.

Willie isn't quick enough to be a Jason Taylor/John Abraham like player.

legend

Coach
Eelementary said:
legend...Are you a Rugby League fan, too?

I know...Random question lol.

Sure am mate. I'm one of the owners of this website.;-)

I love Rugby League and the Raiders but the element of absolute professionalism is sadly lacking in the NRL. This is where the NFL kills every other sport and I love the way the whole sport is structured from free agency to the draft and the divided tv rights which ensures almost all fans get a fair go with coverage whereas the NRL's coverage across Australia is a shambles.

I've been a diehard Broncos fans for at least ten years but I used to follow it as much as I could before we had pay tv in Australia through the ABC and Don Lane.

I've got some great NFL videos including the fifteen greatest comebacks of all time. If you can get your hands on a copy, I highly recommend it.

Latest posts