What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willy Mason shoulder charge?

POPEYE

Coach
One consolation for soc's like me who haven't got many years left is that the game as we knew it is dying just as quickly . . . sort of like Communism in reverse

Sleep

Juniors
It was funny when they were showing the replay of this, someone went to say "Was that a..." and Sterlo quickly cut them off and said "Don't say it, let's just leave it alone" and quickly changed the topic. You could tell how disappointed he was that the hit was going to land a player in trouble.

Tommy Smith

Referee
The charge against Mason is so bad that it'd be great if fans boycotted attending matches en masse. Just empty stadiums.

I can't believe a bloke can cop two weeks for something that imo wasn't even a shoulder charge.

They should be penalty sufficient, with bans for charges that make contact with the head or cause injury. But an automatic grade 2 for even a gentle glance with the shoulder is pathetic.

Sandow got out at just the right time given he makes more than one shoulder charge per game.

Last edited:

cleary89

Coach
Complete farce that Mason has been hit with that charge. F*ck me that is just soft to the enth degree.

And they send out the advice of the rule chance on a Friday afternoon with the game played that night? :crazy:

Would sanity not dictate that they announce a new rule change on a Tuesday morning so that it gives all teams due notice?

Rule change? The shoulder charge has been banned for 3 years ffs. What next, nrl reminding people not to do high tackles?

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Rule change? The shoulder charge has been banned for 3 years ffs. What next, nrl reminding people not to do high tackles?

So there was no rule change implemented on the shoulder charge on Friday afternoon hey dickhead? :roll:

cleary89

Coach
No there was no rule change. The shoulder charge is still illegal just like it has been for the last 3 years. Penalties for the illegal act have increased. But thats like saying i was only speeding because i didnt realise the fines went up.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
They did change it moron.

It went from a discretionary call to blanket bans.

Take a look at Kane Evans last week and tell me there was no rule change.....

bileduct

Coach
For the first time in my life I agree with Willie Mason.

Two weeks for that "shoulder charge" is a load of shit.

cleary89

Coach
They did change it moron.

It went from a discretionary call to blanket bans.

Take a look at Kane Evans last week and tell me there was no rule change.....

So if speeding fines went from $100 to $300 that means they have changed the rule about speeding?

Its still illegal like everyone knows it has been. Penalties have just been increased for illegal play.

Card Shark

Immortal
Good on Willie for complaining about the sentence - it is the most ridiculous suspension ever.

1 week / 100 points for a basic shoulder charge is heaps - go from 0 to 200??

nomis88

Juniors
The charge against Mason is so bad that it'd be great if fans boycotted attending matches en masse. Just empty stadiums.

I can't believe a bloke can cop two weeks for something that imo wasn't even a shoulder charge.

They should be penalty sufficient, with bans for charges that make contact with the head or cause injury. But an automatic grade 2 for even a gentle glance with the shoulder is pathetic.

Sandow got out at just the right time given he makes more than one shoulder charge per game.

Judging by some of the crowds I thought we were already boycotting games, especially at ANZ where all I can see is empty seats.

POPEYE

Coach
It was funny when they were showing the replay of this, someone went to say "Was that a..." and Sterlo quickly cut them off and said "Don't say it, let's just leave it alone" and quickly changed the topic. You could tell how disappointed he was that the hit was going to land a player in trouble.

Warren Smith on the other hand would have raved on about it for 2 sets of six . . . if he spots a mole hill he'll do his best to turn it into a f**king mountain

Nice Beaver

First Grade
So if speeding fines went from $100 to $300 that means they have changed the rule about speeding?

Its still illegal like everyone knows it has been. Penalties have just been increased for illegal play.

You don't seem to understand that what Mason did has been done hundreds of times this year for NO citing or suspension. Nothing.

I totally understand that shoulder charges have been outlawed but copping suspensions for that shit is laughable. There was zero contact with the head and zero impact on the tackled player. There is no common sense here at all.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Shillington gets 0 weeks? When was that announced?

I didn't think the MRC had released anything from that game?

Edit: Sorry just saw the charges.

F*CK ME! If that does not demonstrate how upside down this whole process is then nothing will.

Well it shows what a farce it is and on Mason's point, hes absolutely right about grading, players are confused, so are the fans.

You can head butt a bloke, get sent off and play the following week.

But with a so called shoulder charge, you get 2 weeks.

The MRC have lost the plot. Theyre too focused on clamping down on shoulder charges, yet do bugger all on other incidents, like lifting tackles and head butts.

Latest posts