What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willy Mason shoulder charge?

DiegoNT

First Grade
Watching the manly Souths game, was there a shoulder charge by willy Mason on one of the burgess brothers?
While it seemed pretty innocuous, it was probably by the letter of the law a shoulder charge. Willy had the arm tucked and made no attempt to wrap the arm around.
while I have no problem with the no shoulder charge rule, I think the incident was accidental and didn't deserve a penalty (which is how the on field refs saw it) but after making such a hard stance during the week the nrl have painted themselves into a corner. They can
a) not charge willy, but make themselves look silly after taking a hard line during the week
Or b) charge willy, which depending on willy record could see him suspended for 1-3 weeks, making themselves look silly to the majority of fans who are still adjusting to the changing rules

A2_tha_MFK

Juniors
Watching the manly Souths game, was there a shoulder charge by willy Mason on one of the burgess brothers?
While it seemed pretty innocuous, it was probably by the letter of the law a shoulder charge. Willy had the arm tucked and made no attempt to wrap the arm around.
while I have no problem with the no shoulder charge rule, I think the incident was accidental and didn't deserve a penalty (which is how the on field refs saw it) but after making such a hard stance during the week the nrl have painted themselves into a corner. They can
a) not charge willy, but make themselves look silly after taking a hard line during the week
Or b) charge willy, which depending on willy record could see him suspended for 1-3 weeks, making themselves look silly to the majority of fans who are still adjusting to the changing rules

NO

Just stood his ground. If he had of bent into it then yes. But I think the refs let it go because he just stood his ground.

DiegoNT

First Grade
NO

Just stood his ground. If he had of bent into it then yes. But I think the refs let it go because he just stood his ground.

I hope your right and they see it that way, but I remember seeing the Kade Snowden/Ray Thompson incident a few years back the same way and he got 8 weeks ( though it didn't help Thompson came away with a broken jaw in that situation.)

Rabbits20

Immortal
Nothing much in it.

I don't think Willie will be suspended.

However the other week Evans from the Roosters definitely should have been suspended for 1-2 weeks.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Nervous you'll miss the 8 it seems to me.

Hugely nervous off missing the 8, but that's not my worry here.
My worry is that the nrl continues to make knee jerk reactions without fully thinking it through. While I agree with the ban on the shoulder charge, a blanket automatic charge of 200 judiciary points for all shoulder charges may not of been the best way around it, if it means a situation Mason got himself into their means he may spend weeks on the sideline.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Nothing much in it.

I don't think Willie will be suspended.

However the other week Evans from the Roosters definitely should have been suspended for 1-2 weeks.

While theirs nothing much in it, the new rule brought in just this week means all shoulder charges are automatically charged.

TheFrog

Coach
I hope your right and they see it that way, but I remember seeing the Kade Snowden/Ray Thompson incident a few years back the same way and he got 8 weeks ( though it didn't help Thompson came away with a broken jaw in that situation.)

It also didn't help that he'd been suspended only a couple of weeks earlier for kneeing a bloke in the face.

Was there a shoulder involved in the tackle? Yes. Was there a charge involved? No. Was there a shoulder charge....lol. No !

This confusion that predisposes opinions of people who havnt played or dont understand the sport is idiotic. The ARLC do need to listen to participants and make common sense involved in rule interpretations.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Was there a shoulder involved in the tackle? Yes. Was there a charge involved? No. Was there a shoulder charge....lol. No !

This confusion that predisposes opinions of people who havnt played or dont understand the sport is idiotic. The ARLC do need to listen to participants and make common sense involved in rule interpretations.

Commom sense and the ARLC doesn't go well together unfortunately.
While those of us who've played the game know that what Mason done was pretty minor, the nrl have come out with their definition of a shoulder charge being a situation where a player keeps his arm tucked into their body and makes no attempt to wrap arms around. They've also made a rule midweek that all shoulder charges (no matter what the outcome of the tackle is) is now a judiciary charge.

While those of us who've played the game know that what Mason done was pretty minor, the nrl have come out with their definition of a shoulder charge being a situation where a player keeps his arm tucked into their body and makes no attempt to wrap arms around. They've also made a rule midweek that all shoulder charges (no matter what the outcome of the tackle is) is now a judiciary charge.

Okey dokey.

For those of us who have played the game why dont you display some common sense outrage.

We can all then marvel.

Perth Red

Post Whore

This