What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wimbledon 2007

dragonfire

Bench
lockyno1 said:
Join the club there..although Venus is better than Serena at least!

what is going on with Venus's outfit? Almost looks like she is wearing some sort of loose nappy?

Razor said:
Hawkeye is not that accurate.

I agree, there was no way that ball wasnt long. What i was getting at with it only being used on one court means that it doesnt allow a completely equal tournament for every player if you know what i mean. But yeh i think it shouldnt be used in tennis, no need to change the way it has been for the last however many years. I can just imagine a 5 set tournament final coming down to a hawkeye decision which is blatantly wrong..

lockyno1

Post Whore
I like Hawkeye, and the fans get involved. It is good for tennis. The line calls from linesmen/women are sometimes blatantly wrong as well. I actually thought Dkjovic's one was in when I saw it live.

As for the Henin/Federer double, yep cannot see anyone beating then. Berdych in the mens is a chance, and I rate Ivanavic a chance against Henin on grass.

Shorty

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
Ivanavic to get to the final..the last thing I want s to watch a final involving Williams and Henin! I hate both of them!
I would have loved Martina to be there too,oh well Henin is the lesser of two evils.
At least Venus worked hard to get where she is,unlike Serena...f**k I hate Serena lol.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Put it this way well I know Women's tennis will be over in a hour (which dead set annoys me why they claim to deserve equal pay despite only playing for a hour!). Well if it is over in a hour- I want someone out there looking hot..and well Henin has a busted face and Venus..well the least said about her the better (mind you serena is worse)

Razor

Coach
Last year was the first time in the Open Era that the Wimbledon final was the same as the French Open final (for the men)

Now this year it's happened again.

Prior to last year, 12 years a player made the final of both GS in the same year, but each of those times they had different opponents.

petetheileet

First Grade
Nadal is soooo f**kn lucky its a joke, he doesnt deserve to be there!!!! Youzhny should have smoked him, inexperience cost Soderling the match against him and Djokovic would have cleaned him up if it wasn't for this ridiculous playing schedule

I know i picked Roger to win the tournament whilst only dropping 2 sets, but id love to see him smoke Nadal in straight sets. He should do it, it will only be nerves if Roger drops a set.

If he does drop one itl b the first or second one

Razor

Coach
The betting at Centrebet shows how dominant Federer and Nadal are

To win tonight Nadal is $5.25; at the start of the tournament he was $6.00

Federer is $1.16. I can't remember exactly what he was before the tournament started, but he was under $1.40

So both players have not come in much at all, considering they've had 6 matches before this(of course Federer couldn't have come in much anyway)

petetheileet

First Grade
Nadal should have started in the teens, he is very lucky to have made the final, if anyone seriously got on Nadal paying only 6's at the start of the tournament they are foolish

Razor

Coach
he is very lucky to have made the final

No he wasn't.

He struggled against Youzhny, but Nadal always does. Same as Federer always struggles against Canas. It's just a player who gives him trouble.

Nadal struggled against Soderling because of the rain. Without the rain delays it would have been a straight-sets defeat. Nadal had match points in the 3rd set. So it would have been an easy victory without the on-off-on-off-on-off events.

Djokovic is the number 5 in the world, and on this years events only, the number 3 in the world. It was always going to be a close match . Prior to Wimbledon, they've played 3 times this year - twice on hard-court(1 each both in straight sets), and once on clay (Nadal in straight). All the tournaments have been big ones (Nadal beat Djokovic in the Indian Wells final; Djokoic beat Nadal in the Miami QF; Nadal beat Djokovic in the FO Semis). If Djokovic played Federer it would have been close too. You can take it as a guarantee that 3 of the semi-finalists at the US will be Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

Remember Nadal is a dominant number 2. With the results he has, he would have been number 1 for the entire period that Hewitt was number 1 (and also for all of the musical chair period). It's just Federer is a dominant number 1, so despite Nadal's results being good enough for number 1 for a lot of the early 00's, it's not good enough now. Both of them are so dominant, that if after Wimbledon, they don't play again this year, they'll still probably be number 1 and 2 in the world at years end (No matter the result of Wimbledon final Nadal is ahead of Federer this year). At worst they can be 2nd and 3rd.

lockyno1

Post Whore
So again someone remind me why Women deserve the same as men..the final was over in a hour! What a disgrace!

petetheileet

First Grade
Razor said:
No he wasn't.

He struggled against Youzhny, but Nadal always does. Same as Federer always struggles against Canas. It's just a player who gives him trouble.

Nadal struggled against Soderling because of the rain. Without the rain delays it would have been a straight-sets defeat. Nadal had match points in the 3rd set. So it would have been an easy victory without the on-off-on-off-on-off events.

Djokovic is the number 5 in the world, and on this years events only, the number 3 in the world. It was always going to be a close match . Prior to Wimbledon, they've played 3 times this year - twice on hard-court(1 each both in straight sets), and once on clay (Nadal in straight). All the tournaments have been big ones (Nadal beat Djokovic in the Indian Wells final; Djokoic beat Nadal in the Miami QF; Nadal beat Djokovic in the FO Semis). If Djokovic played Federer it would have been close too. You can take it as a guarantee that 3 of the semi-finalists at the US will be Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

Remember Nadal is a dominant number 2. With the results he has, he would have been number 1 for the entire period that Hewitt was number 1 (and also for all of the musical chair period). It's just Federer is a dominant number 1, so despite Nadal's results being good enough for number 1 for a lot of the early 00's, it's not good enough now. Both of them are so dominant, that if after Wimbledon, they don't play again this year, they'll still probably be number 1 and 2 in the world at years end (No matter the result of Wimbledon final Nadal is ahead of Federer this year). At worst they can be 2nd and 3rd.

a lot of ifs and buts there dickhead, uv just reinforced how lucky he was....

Federer threw that 4th set down the toilet with a shonky hawk - eye call.

will have to wrap it up in 5, Feds has been sub par today

petetheileet

First Grade
Feds 3 - 2 in the 5th...

the champ is really struggling, cant buy a first serve and is struggling to find any court deeper than the service line, Nadal has guts and unless Fed's finds something we could be in for a major upset.

Feds aint been stretched to 5 that often all signs point to Nadal, looks like an interesting finish....

dont think i can remember one of Sampras' winning finals goin to 5, could be a bad omen for another one of the greats

petetheileet

First Grade
Federer breaks Nadal!!!! the champ shows unbelievable courage and finally plays some tennis worthy of the final, score is no 4 - 2 Fed's

Nadal all of a sudden finds the need to constantly wipe the sweat from his ars and face between points with the towel...

petetheileet

First Grade
Roger Federer 2007 Wimbledon Champion!!!

A galant effort from Nadal, who produced some excellent tennis however Federer really showed he is a class above the rest, rising above Nadal when it really mattered

It is now his 5th consecutive Wimbledon Championship and 11th Grand slam title, Congratulations to a true champion of the game!!!!

I hope to see him this time next year breaking or at least equalling Sampras' all tiem Grand Slam record.

Shorty

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
So again someone remind me why Women deserve the same as men..the final was over in a hour! What a disgrace!
:roll:
Because it's always a guarentee who's going to win the tournaments.

Get over it.

Anyway,Venus played well I can stomache her far more than Serena because she's not nearly as arrogant and far more skillful.

I'm wondering if Bartolli will emerge again,she was a damn good little player.

Atleast with the girls it's different,I'm so sick of Federer winning it's boring...someone beat him consistently already!

lockyno1

Post Whore
So again why should Venus who won in just over a hour get the same prizemoney as a final that went 4 hours! Hell I'll ask you this question..if you could go to a really good mens match or a really good womens match which one would you choose? 90% of people would choose the men's match because it will not be lopsided rubbish that is over in a hour.

Shorty

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
So again why should Venus who won in just over a hour get the same prizemoney as a final that went 4 hours! Hell I'll ask you this question..if you could go to a really good mens match or a really good womens match which one would you choose? 90% of people would choose the men's match because it will not be lopsided rubbish that is over in a hour.
Most would go to the men's match regardless.
Television coverage prefers men,they will show two lower ranked men playing before they show high ranked women playing.

I don't really understand why you're blaming this on women tennis players,results aren't carved in stone.

You can't control who does and doesn't win,women's tennis is totally unpredictable at the moment but at the same time...nobody is exactly worrying Federer a whole lot.

Look at the men's Aus Open final,that was a snorefest it should have been Safin there...but wasn't.

sh*te happens.

Considering that you only watch women's tennis for looks I don't even understand why you're complaining in the first place.