What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Bazal

Post Whore
Explain as I always like the wines they provide and love the social element of the tasting tours....mind you I did stop my dealings with the Times Wine Club.

The other thing I would say (and not everyone cares mind you, esp as you've said you're in the UK?) Naked Wines always talk smack about the way Woolworths and Coles pump out exclusive liquor labels masked as 'real' wines, made by contract winemakers with huge markups and deliberately overpriced so they can heavily 'discount'..

Well I just had a look at the Naked Wines website and the first wine I saw was a Rod Easthope Sav Blanc. Rod used to be the winemaker at Craggy Range in NZ, then moved on to his own label. And it's probably a tasty wine. I'm not having a shot at him, he is responsible for some all time great wines IMO, especially the reds off the Gimblett Gravels. But now he's contracting this Rod Easthope label for Naked Wines. Can't get it anywhere else, no reference point for price (and I reckon it'll absolutely be a 300% markup or more), no competition and they'll "discount" it from $25-odd to $15 if you join their club.

Apart from having a famous name attached, that sounds exactly like what they slam the big box retailers for. They're doing what they say they absolutely wouldn't in their advertising, just putting a name and some provenance to it and pretending that makes it different.

But like I said, I rarely shame anyone for buying what they like where they can get it. It's just something that gets to me as someone who spent a long time in the industry.

Dark Corner

Juniors
The other thing I would say (and not everyone cares mind you, esp as you've said you're in the UK?) Naked Wines always talk smack about the way Woolworths and Coles pump out exclusive liquor labels masked as 'real' wines, made by contract winemakers with huge markups and deliberately overpriced so they can heavily 'discount'..

Well I just had a look at the Naked Wines website and the first wine I saw was a Rod Easthope Sav Blanc. Rod used to be the winemaker at Craggy Range in NZ, then moved on to his own label. And it's probably a tasty wine. I'm not having a shot at him, he is responsible for some all time great wines IMO, especially the reds off the Gimblett Gravels. But now he's contracting this Rod Easthope label for Naked Wines. Can't get it anywhere else, no reference point for price (and I reckon it'll absolutely be a 300% markup or more), no competition and they'll "discount" it from $25-odd to $15 if you join their club.

Apart from having a famous name attached, that sounds exactly like what they slam the big box retailers for. They're doing what they say they absolutely wouldn't in their advertising, just putting a name and some provenance to it and pretending that makes it different.

But like I said, I rarely shame anyone for buying what they like where they can get it. It's just something that gets to me as someone who spent a long time in the industry.
Thanks for the great reply but you are on a different level to me with wine as i'm still a novice and now nothing about it apart from taste and my favourite Red is Grant Burge Barossa Ink at 14.5% but only buy when the supermarkets have it on 20% off when buying 6 bottles plus trying out whites and pairing with food.

If Naked Wines are the best then makes wonder how bad the wines are in the supermarkets and Co-ops and it must be a waste of a grape.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
So who's best for wine to buy in the UK ?
Check in on Laithwaites UK. It's at least proper wine.

Thank f**k someone else sees it. Exactly what I thought too. They're hypocrites.
Thanks for the great reply but you are on a different level to me with wine as i'm still a novice and now nothing about it apart from taste and my favourite Red is Grant Burge Barossa Ink at 14.5% but only buy when the supermarkets have it on 20% off when buying 6 bottles plus trying out whites and pairing with food.

If Naked Wines are the best then makes wonder how bad the wines are in the supermarkets and Co-ops and it must be a waste of a grape.
Naked Wines are not the best. Not even close. Cheap commercial wine is all it is.

Bazal

Post Whore

That's fair, and like I said people can buy what they like tbh.

I don't think Naked Wines are especially good though, let alone the best. I've actually never been to the UK (yet) but I'd hazard a guess the supermarket wines are at the same standard as Naked Wines. And Europe has the advantage of easy access to some excellent affordable Italian, Spanish and even French wines. If Aldi out here can do a cracking Sicilian Nero d'Avola for $6 there will absolutely be some bargains that only have to come over the Channel rather than halfway around the world. It's just about doing a little research and trying them tbh. Which is a terrible job...

Dark Corner

Juniors

I don't think Naked Wines are especially good though, let alone the best. I've actually never been to the UK (yet) but I'd hazard a guess the supermarket wines are at the same standard as Naked Wines. And Europe has the advantage of easy access to some excellent affordable Italian, Spanish and even French wines. If Aldi out here can do a cracking Sicilian Nero d'Avola for $6 there will absolutely be some bargains that only have to come over the Channel rather than halfway around the world. It's just about doing a little research and trying them tbh. Which is a terrible job...
Aldi and Lidi are good in my eyes....it's been 10 years since I join Naked Wines...any advice on long tasting Reds would much appreciate it.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Check in on Laithwaites UK. It's at least proper wine.

Thank f**k someone else sees it. Exactly what I thought too. They're hypocrites.

Naked Wines are not the best. Not even close. Cheap commercial wine is all it is.
I was in Laithwaites and I was getting the Big Reds of Portugal but lots were to sweet....maybe have to go back and try a case again ?

Drew-Sta

Staff member

Frank Tate imports the Sicilian Nero. Best selling Nero in Australia.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Get a PWA / wine broker and tell them what you like. They'll do the rest for you.
Last one for you as if you were in my shoes would you just stick to Aldi/Lidi or go back to The Times/Laithwaties.
Funny I bought some Jacob's Creek Double Barrel Red from discount store B&M's for £6.99 when it's on sale in the supermarkets for £12.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Last one for you as if you were in my shoes would you just stick to Aldi/Lidi or go back to The Times/Laithwaties.
Funny I bought some Jacob's Creek Double Barrel Red from discount store B&M's for £6.99 when it's on sale in the supermarkets for £12.

Worked for Pernod a while back. The original appellated wines were pretty decent. The SA stuff just average. But consistent drop and blended well.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Liquorland bombing out the last of the Children of the Revolution stock for $5 a bottle, the Grenache, Sangiovese and Tempranillo, i picked the last few bottles of Grenache and Sangiovese we had left in stock, Tempranillo had been out of stock for a while.This clearance does not include the Pinot Noir.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Sure. In what sense? Are you looking to get some stuff to lay down?
Just wanting to go to an honest retailer as I like my Black Reds or an easy Merlot.
What makes my wonder about Naked Wine is why doe's he fly his winemakers around the world to England twice a years as that mush burn a hole in the profits.

Bazal

Post Whore
Just wanting to go to an honest retailer as I like my Black Reds or an easy Merlot.
What makes my wonder about Naked Wine is why doe's he fly his winemakers around the world to England twice a years as that mush burn a hole in the profits.

Tbh I don't think there's such a thing as an honest retailer these days. Not large ones anyway. I'm not across the UK retail market unfortunately.

Ultimately the best way to buy wine is direct, but that obviously becomes a problem half way around the world if you like Australian wines. Small business wine stores are a good bet too, especially because they normally have experts who can work with you directly about what you like and recommend options for branching out.

That said, most wine I don't buy direct these days I buy from big business like Dans, with the exception of a semi regular trip to either Canberra Wine & Spirit Merchants or Blackhearts & Sparrows (small local businesses - used to work with the owner of the former). It's unavoidable.

I'd also say that for all this talk about exclusive wines that run under made up labels, they aren't necessarily bad wines. A great example over here is the Earthworks range at Coles. Sure, they used to be about $20 and discount to $10, so you know the landed cost is less than 5 bucks. But they're good, solid wines. They used to be made by Elena Brooks of Dandelion and a couple of other labels, and I think they are/were then made by Yalumba. So they have pedigree and drink well even at $20, the ethics are just a bit shit. Although Yalumba don't need the money, and neither did Elena tbh...

If you're buying wine, the best tip I can give from afar is look for specifics. Region, not just "South Australia" or "Wine of France". Info on the vineyard is even better, if it's there and it isn't the name of the wine (e.g. Tyrrells HVD Semillon is off the HVD vineyard) it'll often be on the back label. Check that the producer info (I assume this is still on UK labels) seems to match the name on the label. For European wines, a protected origin like Chianti or Cotes du Rhone is usually a good sign. The more specific info, the better. These things won't help prove the retailer selling them is necessarily decent, they just mean there's a higher chance that someone who is decent is getting the money in some way.

Bazal

Post Whore
Early contender for best value wine of the year, Domaine de Blayac Minervois.

Underrated appelation already IMO, but this...this is f**king gorgeous. Darker than a black ruby, hugely full bodied but not in any way overdone. It's almost too complex to be in this price bracket. Bramble, mulberry, black olive, vanilla, gamey cured meat, cloves, flint and an almost Campari-esque herbaceousness. It still manages to stay soft and fresh. Ridiculous for $15 bucks, absolutely ridiculous.

Honestly tastes better than some $40 Rhone's I've had

Back to my borderline alcoholism and on the subject if exclusive labels (although it's a Dans import, not a contract label)...f**k off it's been 5 years since I put this in here! I was just looking to see what I said before, maybe see if it's changed with vintages etc. I deadset thought I might have almost had the next vintage or the one after. Not 5 years!

Anyway, it's still very good. And still on sale for 15 bucks! The one thing I would say, whether my palate is different today or whether it's the vintages, the 2021 is more elegant and lean than what I described here. More violets too, and less ripe fruit. Oak is a bit toastier. Tbh it's more up my street.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Tbh I don't think there's such a thing as an honest retailer these days. Not large ones anyway. I'm not across the UK retail market unfortunately.

Ultimately the best way to buy wine is direct, but that obviously becomes a problem half way around the world if you like Australian wines. Small business wine stores are a good bet too, especially because they normally have experts who can work with you directly about what you like and recommend options for branching out.

That said, most wine I don't buy direct these days I buy from big business like Dans, with the exception of a semi regular trip to either Canberra Wine & Spirit Merchants or Blackhearts & Sparrows (small local businesses - used to work with the owner of the former). It's unavoidable.

I'd also say that for all this talk about exclusive wines that run under made up labels, they aren't necessarily bad wines. A great example over here is the Earthworks range at Coles. Sure, they used to be about $20 and discount to $10, so you know the landed cost is less than 5 bucks. But they're good, solid wines. They used to be made by Elena Brooks of Dandelion and a couple of other labels, and I think they are/were then made by Yalumba. So they have pedigree and drink well even at $20, the ethics are just a bit shit. Although Yalumba don't need the money, and neither did Elena tbh...

If you're buying wine, the best tip I can give from afar is look for specifics. Region, not just "South Australia" or "Wine of France". Info on the vineyard is even better, if it's there and it isn't the name of the wine (e.g. Tyrrells HVD Semillon is off the HVD vineyard) it'll often be on the back label. Check that the producer info (I assume this is still on UK labels) seems to match the name on the label. For European wines, a protected origin like Chianti or Cotes du Rhone is usually a good sign. The more specific info, the better. These things won't help prove the retailer selling them is necessarily decent, they just mean there's a higher chance that someone who is decent is getting the money in some way.
As I said your posts are on another level and but I do like from Naked Wines Peter Gajewski's Juicy and Big Juicy Shiraz but I really appreciate your replys and might check the Chianti and Cotes Du Rhone on my side of the world.
I also go to Mark's and Spencers for their Shiraz at £8 down from £10 and I like Aldi's Kooliburra Shiraz plus do like a glass of Tawny Port and trying the others types of Rose and White.

Bazal

Post Whore
2017 Artemis Artsmith Petit Verdot. Sadly I don't think this is a regular release. Really good wine, super clean and clear deep colour. Blueberry and purple plums, vanilla, marzipan/nougat, rooibos, dark chocolate, autumn spices. Slippery and juicy but not in any way overripe or overdone, it's long and soft on the finish but kicks left and leaves you with a bit of crunchy acid right at the end. You'd never know it was 7 years old

Last edited:

Drew-Sta

Staff member
He flies them around for promotion. That's why.

Put it this way. They're buying Australian wine and selling it at 60%. Cost price includes WET ex GST. Angel price is what you're paying. It's commercial grade wine they sell at silly prices.

CC @Bazal ; I'm sure you'll be interested.

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 10.22.47 AM.png

Bazal

Post Whore
He flies them around for promotion. That's why.

Put it this way. They're buying Australian wine and selling it at 60%. Cost price includes WET ex GST. Angel price is what you're paying. It's commercial grade wine they sell at silly prices.

CC @Bazal ; I'm sure you'll be interested.

View attachment 90820

Yeah that's about what I expected... although NGL I wish I could get any Sorby Adams wine for $8.72 lol. Looks like I was pretty close to spot on with the Rod Easthope.

It's always stuck with me, so I remember the Cradle Bay Sav Blanc that's always 6 for 36 at Coles (or used to be) was $2.72 landed. And it sold for $15 at First Choice. More at LL I think.