What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

horrie hastings

First Grade
Was on a gondola end last week at $9.95. Stupid pricing really.

Yes as you say it destroys the brand's credibility at that price. It was still on a gondola end at the front but was $14. I only went in to Dans as Brown Brothers have bought back Tarrango and I wanted to try it again as about 7-8 years ago it was a pleasant summer red that sat quite perfectly in the middle if you didnt want a white with the BBQ but also didn't want a full on red. I saw it was advertised at BWS and Dan's, went in yesterday and could not find it anywhere in their Port Mac store and couldn't find any staff apart from the check out so looked on line and it said they had in stock so was going to ask a staff member if I couldn't find it this time but found it on a gondola end at the back of the shop, i swear it wasn't there yesterday but maybe I did miss it. Anyway hope it is still like what it was 7 years ago.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Yes as you say it destroys the brand's credibility at that price. It was still on a gondola end at the front but was $14. I only went in to Dans as Brown Brothers have bought back Tarrango and I wanted to try it again as about 7-8 years ago it was a pleasant summer red that sat quite perfectly in the middle if you didnt want a white with the BBQ but also didn't want a full on red. I saw it was advertised at BWS and Dan's, went in yesterday and could not find it anywhere in their Port Mac store and couldn't find any staff apart from the check out so looked on line and it said they had in stock so was going to ask a staff member if I couldn't find it this time but found it on a gondola end at the back of the shop, i swear it wasn't there yesterday but maybe I did miss it. Anyway hope it is still like what it was 7 years ago.
Some of CSIRO's best work.

JamesRustle

First Grade
I'd argue its blatant foolishness and ignorance.

The fact all the Riverland is primarily planted with Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Chardonnay and Sauv Blanc instead of Nero, Assyrtiko, Monte, Temp etc shows how dumb we are.

Shiraz in the Barossa aside (as its now a 'style' thing), why people don't drink more mataro, grenache etc is insanity. We drink sub par pinot at $20 instead of grenache for the same price which is twice the quality.

We drink merlot from everywhere we shouldn't instead of mataro from Barossa. It's just an industry being driven by retailers who have no f**king clue about how to strengthen the agricultural foundations that are in desperate need for change to survive, especially with climate change.
Samuel's Gorge (McLaren Vale) do a fantastic Grenache, Mourvedre and Graciano. Not a fan of their Tempranillo though. Their premium blends were awesome too, and the winemaker was an absolute character. They do a lot of their sales via cellar door, so he says they operate with a bit more freedom than moving to the beat of the retailers demands.

They also do shiraz and cab, but I was interested in what they are doing in the lesser loved varietals.

I lucked upon this joint on a boys trip a few weeks back. It was the highlight for wines (went to d'Arenburg, Chalk Hill, Gemtree and Maxwells too). If you're every in the area, I recommend dropping in for the view and tasting. No food offering, but that wasn't a problem as we'd had lunch at Cube.

Bazal

Post Whore
Vasse Felix Classic Dry White 2023. Felt like it matched the hot weather and it was 14 bucks at Uncle Dan's.

Tbh, it's a little disappointing? Nose is nice, gooseberry and lime and pineapple and passionfruit, with a little grassy undertone.

Maybe it's my palate today/in general but it just kind of tastes like white wine? There's more sav blanc character than you'd expect for 35% of the blend, again that passionfruit and gooseberry, but it just seems to lack the depth I remember it having years ago. It's just clean and dry and fresh like the decent $12 wines we used to sell.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it I just remember it being a lot better

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Vasse Felix Classic Dry White 2023. Felt like it matched the hot weather and it was 14 bucks at Uncle Dan's.

Tbh, it's a little disappointing? Nose is nice, gooseberry and lime and pineapple and passionfruit, with a little grassy undertone.

Maybe it's my palate today/in general but it just kind of tastes like white wine? There's more sav blanc character than you'd expect for 35% of the blend, again that passionfruit and gooseberry, but it just seems to lack the depth I remember it having years ago. It's just clean and dry and fresh like the decent $12 wines we used to sell.

They had to lower the wine grades to keep it in the price range. Quality of the semillon dropped, as a consequence.

Welcome to commercial wine in 2024; where $14 used to see you start to grab some real bargains but now its all C grade mass produced wine.

Heytesbury are better than most and Paul Holmes a Court is actually a wine lover, but nobody can produce decent wine for under $15 now.

You need to spend about $20 minimum on decent aromatics and at least $25 to get a chard with some character.

Industry is imploding.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Le Macine Pinot Grigio, a Liquorland exclusive which usually lands at $27 a bottle, clearance tickets came through on Friday for $7 a bottle so i snapped up the four bottles we had in stock and with the staff discount it landed just over $5.50 a bottle, absolute steal, a very easy drinking Pinot Grigio, getting a nice almond taste from it , went well with Greek lemon chicken with rice i had for dinner tonight but drinking nicely by itself afterwards too. Hopefully i can order more in.

20240105_140952_resized.jpg

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Le Macine Pinot Grigio, a Liquorland exclusive which usually lands at $27 a bottle, clearance tickets came through on Friday for $7 a bottle so i snapped up the four bottles we had in stock and with the staff discount it landed just over $5.50 a bottle, absolute steal, a very easy drinking Pinot Grigio, getting a nice almond taste from it , went well with Greek lemon chicken with rice i had for dinner tonight but drinking nicely by itself afterwards too. Hopefully i can order more in.

View attachment 83108
Outrageous value. Great buy.

Drew-Sta

Staff member

@Bazal & @horrie hastings - one of the best articles on the issues right now.

Can Thor save Australian Wine?​

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeremyoliverwine/

Jeremy Oliver​

Australian wine writer, author and presenter
15 articles Follow
January 10, 2024
Open Immersive Reader

As we enter 2024, with an Australian wine industry struggling under the weight of unprecedented unsold stocks that are filling tanks which should be empty in anticipation of the coming 2024 vintage, you can depend upon this industry’s ability to regurgitate dream-based unreality and complete ignorance of truth as the foundations of its strategy to seek better times.

Yesterday there was an article in The Australian newspaper by business reporter Giuseppe Tauriello which blamed China for Australia’s current wine glut, quoted a winemaker whose marketing solution was to recruit Hollywood’s Thor, and reported that the strategy favoured by Lee McLean, the CEO of wine’s peak industry body, Australian Grape and Wine, was to work harder to get younger people to drink more wine.

With that level of wisdom doing the rounds, I suggest anyone involved in the wine industry start working hard on their golf handicap. Immediately.

Anyone who actually believes the tariffs imposed by China caused our oversupply doesn’t get it that China’s emergence as a wine market actually put a 10-15 year bandage on an already dire situation over here. Check the data if you feel otherwise.

Tauriello did however report correctly that our winemakers believe the issues facing the industry run much deeper than that. They certainly do, and the skeletons are buried everywhere.

Australian winemakers are fed daily misinformation suggesting that China might return to something like its previous scale as an export market and that India, which is coming off a very small base, which is Hindu and which also has its own wine industry which it prefers not to tax, is their best long-term bet. Despite a general consensus that Indian wine market will increase by less than 20% over the next 4-5 years. China is a today very different market and my guesstimate is that it might return to around $250-$300 million (from a previous high around $1.5 billion) for a variety of reasons – although I sincerely hope I’m wrong. But don’t forget what you probably haven’t yet been told: most of our prior exports to China were though Chinese citizens seeking Permanent Residency here and trading wine to meet government visa requirements; a solid foundation indeed for a wine export strategy.

One of the major problems when trying to solve the mess of Australian wine from roles within either Government body (Wine Australia) or the industry itself (Australian Grape and Wine) is that your role forces you to treat all your constituents equally. This is why Lee McLean says his group and Wine Australia needs to ‘go about tailoring (a solution) that in a way that allows everyone in this really diverse industry that we’ve got here in Australia, to fall under that strategy and be part of it’.

That is also patently impossible. Today, even in these difficult times, there are wine businesses that are doing well and making good profits (even if less than 4-5 years ago). There are also wine companies with vineyards they can not afford to harvest because the tanks in their winery remain totally full because they haven’t sold much wine over the last 5 years and they can’t afford to bottle the wine they made back in 2021 or even earlier. There are wineries in rightly famous regions whose location and brand command a premium in the market. There are others in regions that should never have been planted at all. There are brands whose teams are focused 24/7 on maximising the quality they deliver but there are plenty more whose staff simply turn up for their 9 to 5 job. There are luxury wine brands and there are brands that are little more than FMCGs (fast moving consumer goods). How on earth can you tailor a solution that works for all them?

According to The Australian, McLean said ‘One of the key things that we want to try to figure out is how do we attract new consumers to the category’. But is it possible to allocate all the wine made in Australia to a single category? Brands succeed all over the wine world because people like the wines and the stories behind them. Does a consumer fall in love with the taste of a wine simply because it comes from a particular country, or might it be a little more complicated than that? Do you buy a bottle of Morris Muscat just because the label says ‘Made in Australia’ or because you have tasted it before and want some more?

And how can you tailor a marketing solution for an industry that can only sell about half its production at full price, whose producers have no idea by and large who their customers actually are or indeed what they want, and is largely and excessively focused on making kinds of wine that nobody really wants to drink?
Does the solution concern the identity of Australian wine? Can Australia simply market itself out of this problem? Will marketing alone persuade consumers to start drinking wines they currently choose not to buy? Or is there something rather more fundamental at stake?

The notion that you will grow and make and they will come and buy is totally defunct and has been ever since Australian wine decided to supersize itself a few decades back. Sure, some brands and producers have done exceptionally well – just look at YellowTail and Penfolds – but wasn’t it the idea that Australia would become the world’s fourth largest wine exporter and its most profitable one at that? Right now New Zealand exports about 50% more wine (by value) than Australia does. Think on that for a moment. Whatever your feelings might be about Kiwi sauvignon blanc, it has a name, it has a market and people (if not the wine drinking elite) certainly enjoy drinking it.

Australia actually needs to make better wine that more people want to drink more of and at a more attractive price. Ouch! This is one of the lumpiest of the herd of elephants in the room occupied by Australian wine right now. For what we generally rate highly, the rest of the world doesn’t. That reality will remain a problem until more producers get their heads around it.

Mark Maxwell of Maxwell Wines in South Australia’s McLaren Vale believes Thor (Chris Hemsworth) can replicate the success of now-retired American wine critic Robert Parker jnr as the next ‘ambassador’ for Australian wine in the US. I’d suggest he might be more careful what he’s wishing for, since Robert Parker was an ambassador for Australian wine in the same way we are now learning Big Pharma is a standard bearer for community health.
As Maxwell is well aware, Parker championed a single kind of ultra-ripe, high-alcohol expression of Australian red, largely from McLaren Vale (funny) and the Barossa Valley that was nearly always made from shiraz. Some makers voted with their feet for this style, changing gear to suit the newly-awakened American wine buyer, making in the process wine more akin to shiraz soup that was totally unfamiliar to the Australian buyer. I remember writing at the time that this was just fine for those makers so long as no American actually tried to drink the Australian wines they had purchased. Sure enough, this did happen eventually, and the reputation of high-end Australian wine in the US died that instant. The memory has lingered…

I have never met Chris Hemsworth and other than through the movies I have watched with my son, I know very little about him. I do however know that the premium US wine buyer is most likely to react to messages of quality based on knowledge of wine, their particular buying habits and their unique market. I’m very optimistic about Australian wine’s chances in the US, but it’s more about a careful introduction of brands and styles into well-researched markets and demographics than it is about reminding them that the guy who plays Thor has an authentic Australian accent, whenever he chooses to use it.

To conclude, I honestly believe that neither government or industry bodies can rescue Australian wine, most of which is for sale right now. The sons and daughters of most of those who set up our small wineries have seen the toll it’s taken on their parents and want nothing to do with wine production. Hard to blame them. And the owners of most of the big producers would welcome an offer.

What’s going to resolve it? Economics. Your company loses value when your products aren’t in demand. Changes in ownership occur or vineyard owners seek another use for their lands. Huge areas of vines need to be removed and unprofitable wine businesses need to be sold at a price that makes them viable for their next owners to operate. It won’t be pleasant to watch. But neither has been the destruction of our capital cities and the small businesses that used to give them life. These are the times we are in. And a new image, Thor or otherwise, is not what it’s about.

Bazal

Post Whore
It's an interesting and honestly shit position to be in given where the wine industry was a decade it so ago.

Ultimately you'd think the solution is simple and we've talked a lot about it before (well, simple in thought more than execution) - plant grapes more suited to the regions, make them well and make them approachable. Reputation will come from quality.

Also, f**ken locality and provenance! As an example, Canberra wine is still pretty much booming - quality wines, planted mostly to region, made well and the industry isn't afraid to experiment. Enough goddamned "wine of South Eastern Australia".

I have to say, in a schadenfreude kind of way, it's a bit funny that the hard drive on Yellowtail and Rosemount and other mass produced shit wines has killed the industry though. It's a macro example of what plenty of us working for big businesses called out years ago at the business level

Bazal

Post Whore
Frescobaldi (lol bald) Nipozzano Chianti 2019

Felt right to grab a red like this after we got 60mm of rain in 90 mins at cricket.

I really like it, as a huge fan of Italian reds. It almost feels like a cabernet, super dry and structured right down the line, with a belt of acid at the finish that makes you salivate. In between, grippy tannin, cherry, almost a blood orange note from the sharpness of the acid finish. Dusty cigars, even a little tomato which only adds to the cabernet trickery.

It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, especially if the only exposure they've had to Chianti has been the standard Ruffino et al. I think it would feel odd to some in that case. But II enjoy. Might be a few bucks over the odds at $37 but not far enough I'm complaining.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Was thinking of you today when i filled up the Vasse Felix Classic Dry white on the shelf, we have it sitting on the bottom shelf so i ended up pulling out what was already on the shelf before filling the rest up, had a few 2023 in front but a few bottles at the back were 2022 ( slack staff lol ) , Have to admit i haven't had the CDW for a long while.

Bazal

Post Whore
Just got made redundant out of Naked Wines. They're in free fall. About 60-80 people worldwide gone.

/ffs

Ah man, that sucks. Hopefully you at least got a decent package out of it...looks like a lot of these big online retailers are feeling it?

Seems odd given the shift online elsewhere, although I suppose coming out of Covid has seen a few others in various industries going under too

Bazal

Post Whore
2022 Quealy Turbul Friulano

Apparently turbul means cloudy in Friuli dialect and isn't just the shortened, snappy version of turbulent. Either way, my bottle is pretty much clear so....

Hand picked late in the season, fermented as whole berries without crushing, wild yeast. Fermented in amphora and left there 5 months or so, then moved to french oak for 12.

Wild ferment is super obvious on the nose, with loads of wildflower and lemon balm, honey and fresh bay leaf, even a touch gamey? Tastes like preserved lemon, coriander and fennel seed, green herbs, the barest hint of oak but it's more about the experience. It's very rich, phenolic, with a texture that almost pushes flabby but cuts that all away with acid just at the exact right moment and ends up clean and prickly peppery and almost totally savoury.

Incredibly interesting wine, highly recommended for me. It won't be up everyone's street but it's very well made.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Taylor Made Pinot Noir Rose 2022.

Light dry and delectable , very subtle strawberry flavour coming through, nice to have something a bit different and nice and refreshing with this humidity.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Ah man, that sucks. Hopefully you at least got a decent package out of it...looks like a lot of these big online retailers are feeling it?

Seems odd given the shift online elsewhere, although I suppose coming out of Covid has seen a few others in various industries going under too

Got something out of it, which I wasn't expecting.

Online retailers got fat and stupid during COVID. Coming out of COVID and they're like Latrell Mitchell after a long off-season; you can see the potential but they need to shred.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
They were a 57m business in Rev carrying 48m in inventory (so about 18-24m worth of stock). Insanity.

Bazal

Post Whore
Margan Saxonvale Shiraz Mourvedre. NGL I thought this was a cheaper Margan when I grabbed it off the rack, but oh well

Great wine. Fruit from Broke Fordwich, planted bush vine style not delineated in the vineyard, so the wine is made as a field blend about 85/15. Rich, dark nose, black fruit and spice lifted into perfume by the mourvedre. Starts soft and sweet with the fruit, rolls into woody spices, a little cherry chocolate, finishes with sharp red damson acid and tannins that make it feel super light and elegant.