What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wing out to launch bid for NSW No.7

OVP

Coach
gorilla with a shotgun said:
f**knig penrith fans!
for all we know the panthers played the 5 weakest teams in the last 5 rounds (although they cant play themselves) so those stats could be a load of bullsh*t

i wont name what i think should be nsw backline because i think it should be whoever has the best form at the time,

Head is a better 7 than most

^
| ..... drugs.

Palms

Juniors
noone can deny that at 22/23 yrs of age, representing NSW and australia, jamie lyon had one of the biggest and brightest futures going around. Put all discrepancies aside I still reckon that jamie lyon will be a massive threat in the NRL this year if he has a genuine 5/8 half combination inside of him...he is a gap running centre not a play maker and i for one cannot justify writing this 'kid' off like some can so willy nilly...id like to hear reasons as to why he wont be good enough, plain and simple.

Im a tigers supporter for all concerned

Palms said:
noone can deny that at 22/23 yrs of age, representing NSW and australia, jamie lyon had one of the biggest and brightest futures going around. Put all discrepancies aside I still reckon that jamie lyon will be a massive threat in the NRL this year if he has a genuine 5/8 half combination inside of him...he is a gap running centre not a play maker and i for one cannot justify writing this 'kid' off like some can so willy nilly...id like to hear reasons as to why he wont be good enough, plain and simple.

finally, thanks for that

mxlegend99

Referee
gorilla with a shotgun said:
f**knig penrith fans!
for all we know the panthers played the 5 weakest teams in the last 5 rounds (although they cant play themselves) so those stats could be a load of bullsh*t

i wont name what i think should be nsw backline because i think it should be whoever has the best form at the time,

Head is a better 7 than most
I named the teams we played. We played 3rd place Cowboys, 4th placed Warriors, 7th placed Souths and the inform Roosters that charged up the ladder. The only crap team we played was the Knights. :oops:

Manly played 4th placed Warriors, 7th placed Souths, 8th placed Broncos, and the Dragons and Knights. So if anything, Jamie Lyon had easier oppoisition to boost his stats. :oops:

The only thing remotely close to being correct is that NSW should pick who is in form at the time of Origin.

Palms said:

It's entirely possible that he could find his way and start carving up again. But he has to improve quiet a bit before he is anywhere near the level of Mark Gasnier, Justin Hodges, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau etc.

NthKnight

mxlegend99 said:
I named the teams we played. We played 3rd place Cowboys, 4th placed Warriors, 7th placed Souths and the inform Roosters that charged up the ladder. The only crap team we played was the Knights. :oops:

Manly played 4th placed Warriors, 7th placed Souths, 8th placed Broncos, and the Dragons and Knights. So if anything, Jamie Lyon had easier oppoisition to boost his stats. :oops:

The only thing remotely close to being correct is that NSW should pick who is in form at the time of Origin.

It's entirely possible that he could find his way and start carving up again. But he has to improve quiet a bit before he is anywhere near the level of Mark Gasnier, Justin Hodges, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau etc.

*clap clap clap* well said young man

mxlegend99 It's entirely possible that he could find his way and start carving up again. But he has to improve quiet a bit before he is anywhere near the level of [B said:
Mark Gasnier, Justin Hodges, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau etc.[/B]

out of the names you provided only gaz is eligible for nsw. so that means he should get in then

mxlegend99

Referee
Actually, another thing that slipped my mind was that in those 5 rounds, Jamie Lyon faced sides all ranked far lower then his. So ontop of having an easier run then the Panthers, he was facing teams which were technically worse then his own.

Needless to say, Panthers coming dead last put all their opposition ahead of them. And ofcourse, it meant that the team around Jennings was not as good as the team around Jamie Lyon.

Jamie Lyon should have had a much easier job to bust tackles, make linebreaks and score tries then a rookie centre in the wooden spoon team.

dallymessenger said:
out of the names you provided only gaz is eligible for nsw. so that means he should get in then
Michael Jennings had better stats then Jamie Lyon. He had better stats in a worse team with harder opposition. If Michael Jennings isn't good enough, Jamie Lyon sure as hell isn't. Matt Cooper is better then Jamie Lyon, and if experience gets a player in, it HAS to be Cooper.

Dally if you can get a copy of the Cows V Manly ,ithink rd 8 last yr ,you will see why Lyon is overated by many.A great example of fat ,slow & useless.
Terrible decisions in defence,& very slow lateral defence.

Phil McGrawhan said:
Dally if you can get a copy of the Cows V Manly ,ithink rd 8 last yr ,you will see why Lyon is overated by many.A great example of fat ,slow & useless.
Terrible decisions in defence,& very slow lateral defence.

look im not saying lyon played well last year.

whether thats coming back to the nrl, playing at a new club at manly or playing a new position ive got no idea (i suspect a mix of all 3)

ive seen lyon kill it at parra for yrs, and then do the same at origin and australia. he was the best player in england too - guess which position he played there?

it takes a while to go from centre to five eigth. inglis struggled, injury ruled out gasniers shot at it. whilst the move from fullback to 5/8th took lokyer years.

if lyon was playing centre regularly again, id back him to be amongst the best nsw has

Slackboy72

Coach
Just a few quick points:

1 - Everyone is basing their opinions on what they've seen in 2007. We haven't even seen a ball kicked in anger in 2008 yet so a lot can change. Saying someone is absolute-crap/Jesus-incarnate based on the last five rounds of 2007 in isolation is ridiculous.

2 - NSW has a real problem in the halves. This will cost the the series (despite my overly optimistic sig prediction). There are NO standouts for filling 6 or 7. Zero. Selections aren't made till round 9 so we have 70-odd games of football to be played before that happens.

3 - NSW selectors are known to be conservative, sticking with tried and true where possible. That said it is just as likely that they will stick a good player in their wrong position instead. We've seen it before (and we've seen it come off). This counts against the young longshots like Pearce and Soward.

4 - Several players were dissapointing for NSW last year. Particularly Lyon, Anasta, Kite and Gidley.

5 - Craig Bellamy is the coach and this is sure to have an impact on selections. White and Hoffman would be specials to be selected.

All that said my prediction for a side would be:

FB Stewart
WING Hayne, El Masri
CENTRE Gasnier, Cooper
5/8 ??? Bird
1/2 ??? Orford
LOCK Gallen
2nd ROW Hindmarsh, Ryan
FRONT ROW Mason, White
HOOKER Buderus
INT O'Meeley, Bailey, Tupou, Creagh

...but don't hold me to that.

Slackboy72 said:
Just a few quick points:

1 - Everyone is basing their opinions on what they've seen in 2007. We haven't even seen a ball kicked in anger in 2008 yet so a lot can change. Saying someone is absolute-crap/Jesus-incarnate based on the last five rounds of 2007 in isolation is ridiculous.

2 - NSW has a real problem in the halves. This will cost the the series (despite my overly optimistic sig prediction). There are NO standouts for filling 6 or 7. Zero. Selections aren't made till round 9 so we have 70-odd games of football to be played before that happens.

3 - NSW selectors are known to be conservative, sticking with tried and true where possible. That said it is just as likely that they will stick a good player in their wrong position instead. We've seen it before (and we've seen it come off). This counts against the young longshots like Pearce and Soward.

4 - Several players were dissapointing for NSW last year. Particularly Lyon, Anasta, Kite and Gidley.

5 - Craig Bellamy is the coach and this is sure to have an impact on selections. White and Hoffman would be specials to be selected.

All that said my prediction for a side would be:

FB Stewart
WING Hayne, El Masri
CENTRE Gasnier, Cooper
5/8 ??? Bird
1/2 ??? Orford
LOCK Gallen
2nd ROW Hindmarsh, Ryan
FRONT ROW Mason, White
HOOKER Buderus
INT O'Meeley, Bailey, Tupou, Creagh

...but don't hold me to that.

looking at that side, thats close to it.

the half spot is toss a coin job. it all depends on which clubs are doing well in the months up to origin.

and tupou- hes a dud, odonnell in there for him

bird is the incumbent but it again depends on his club form

wing, anasta, kimmorley, bird and orford are all a real chance in those spots