What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wingers of the Decade?

Wingers of the decade?

• Matt Sing

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • Lote Tuqiri

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • Timana Tahu

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • Luke Rooney

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Nathan Blacklock

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • Hazem El Masri

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Jarryd Hayne

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 26 24.1%

• Total voters

nqcowboy87

Bench
matt sing for me, good rep playre was out fo the rep teams for a year or two then came storming back and was one of the cowboys best players 2004-2005 defensively and in attack

broncos70

Juniors
matt sing and chris walker..if you include el masri you have to include matt geyer..same sort of winger..if el masri couldnt kick goals then matt utai would be in front of him at the dogs lol

chris walker was an animal (at the broncos), so was matt sing and timana tahu..hard pick but mine will probably be matt sing and chris walker lol..if tuqiri,sailor or folau had more years under their belt i'd pick em easily..folau easily best in last 3 years

edit* walker was great at his time at the broncos then went missing when he left so ill take that back..original pick for me was blacklock and tuqiri

i still think the broncos back 3 from 2000 were the best back 3 combo of all time..lockyer, tuqiri, sailor..but thats a different story for a different thread

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
matt sing and chris walker..if you include el masri you have to include matt geyer..same sort of winger..if el masri couldnt kick goals then matt utai would be in front of him at the dogs lol

Hmmm...

Matt Utai: 71 career tries
Hazem El Masri: 159 career tries

Just a goalkicker? :?

broncos70

Juniors
Hmmm...

Matt Utai: 71 career tries
Hazem El Masri: 159 career tries

Just a goalkicker? :?

el masri: 317 games
utai 124 games

only scored 88 more tries than utai when he's played 193 more games..utai's strike rate is 57% while el masri's is 50%

there goes your argument..

how tuqiri doesnt get more votes i dont understand..i remember he pretty much scored all of qlds points in one game..he was awesome..i picked him and blacklock in my poll..although i think i should've picked tahu or sing as the other

Eelementary

Post Whore
Going by that rationale then, El Masri's out of the running.

But c'mon now. Hayne had a great 06 on the wing. 07 was split between wing and fullback. 08 was centre/fullback. 09 was mostly fullback.
So at best, 1 and a half season's on the wing, qualifies him for a decade period over someone like Vatuvei who's had 4 or 5 useful years at both club and international level? Pleease!

Haynes a dynamite player, but the impression he's made is based by and large on an absolutely stellar 2009 playing fullback.

I mean that a guy who plays longer isn't necessarily a better player.

I don't think Hayne is the winger of the decade. To be honest I'm even starting to have doubts about his fullback work...He was less than useful in the Grand Final...

Eelementary

Post Whore
You've got to be kidding....

It's no secret he's our go-to guy. He was very quiet when he needed to step up. I guess you can put it down to nerves and Melbourne's great defence.

It may not be a popular view amongst Eels fans, but I am having doubts as to whether he can continue his stellar form from late 2009, and that's precisely what we'll need if we want to challenge for the title next year.

hilltop hood

Juniors

chris walker was an animal (at the broncos), so was matt sing and timana tahu..hard pick but mine will probably be matt sing and chris walker lol..if tuqiri,sailor or folau had more years under their belt i'd pick em easily..folau easily best in last 3 years

edit* walker was great at his time at the broncos then went missing when he left so ill take that back..original pick for me was blacklock and tuqiri

i still think the broncos back 3 from 2000 were the best back 3 combo of all time..lockyer, tuqiri, sailor..but thats a different story for a different thread[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol:

Different planet mate!

It's no secret he's our go-to guy. He was very quiet when he needed to step up. I guess you can put it down to nerves and Melbourne's great defence.

It may not be a popular view amongst Eels fans, but I am having doubts as to whether he can continue his stellar form from late 2009, and that's precisely what we'll need if we want to challenge for the title next year.

I dont think anyone could keep playing as amazingly as hayne did, he will still be incredible no doubt but to the extent he was this year

typicalfan

Coach

No doubt he has weaknesses in his play as a fullback and we might find them exploited a little in 2010. He is still very young though and if he can do things like contest the high ball better, turn and chase better and put his body on the line more in defense he will be better for it.

Bigfella

Coach
I reckon it should be out of Bai, Grothe, Manu and Tuiaki.

I am a huge fan of that style of winger who plays more like a front rower in attack in their own half but then can finish a try like a classic winger.

I think there has been more a lack of centres than wingers, hence the good wingers almost always moving infield.

I couldn't see Hasem playing first grade in a team which had two guys out of that list in their squad TBH.

Latest posts