What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wingers of the Decade?

Wingers of the decade?

• Matt Sing

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • Lote Tuqiri

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • Timana Tahu

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • Luke Rooney

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Nathan Blacklock

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • Hazem El Masri

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Jarryd Hayne

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 26 24.1%

• Total voters

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think if we're picking based on being the best winger over a reasonable period of time(i.e. three years plus) then Tahu has to be one of them. 81 tries in 94 games for the Knights from 2000 to 2004, the vast majority of them on the wing. 8 tries in 11 games on the wing for NSW, and 5 tries in 5 games for Australia. He was good enough to turn himself into one of the top few centres in the game at Parramatta as well, proving he wasn't just a finisher.

Absolutely. Tahu was a freakish winger.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Blacklock for pure excitement.

Longevity and all-round game I'd say Sing. El Masri, whilst still a great player I just don't think was ever a true standout without his goal-kicking, although his record cannot be argued.

Loudstrat

Coach
Blacklocks best was before 2000, and Bai's has been certainly too.

El Masri stands out because of his record - not many other wingers have played so many games either. Grothe is not far past 100 games. Tahu and Sing carried great long term club form into the test area, as has Vatuvei. I'll add Francis Meli, a classic for the Warriors in their peak, and the first player in 50 years to score 4 tries in a semi final.

Thank God the Covell brigade is asleep btw.

GB!

Juniors
Scott Donald.

lol

i would actually nominate michael robertson.
doesn't miss any games, is a try scoring machine, great poitional play, good defender and is capable of filling in at the back when stewy is out!

we have a habit of turning useless ex-raiders into top grade players!

Scarves

Juniors
Luke Burt is possibly the most under-rated winger of the decade and gets an honourable mention.

Hazem El Masri has had a tremendous decade, plenty of tries and goals from clinch positions, he played Origin and for Australia, and he is one winger of the decade for me in a no contest, his stats, longevity and style has the rest covered.

The other is a little more difficult but when Timana Tahu was a winger, he was always picked for rep teams and was a star for the Knights out there on the flank for many years. El Masri and Tahu for me, as wingers they've done the most in these positions to put a stamp on the decade.

Blaze

Juniors
I don't know if Vatuvei is in the top 2 but he certainly has a stronger case than a few of the guys in the poll.

Loudstrat

Coach
NRL top tryscorer 2000 and 2001 (and 1999). His hall-of-fame moment occurred in 2001: ie the last minute solo matchwinner at Leichhardt against the Tigers (his third try that game)
Would have thought his hall of fame moment was in the 99 gf.

JB

Juniors
He had a great '06, a good '07, a poor '08 a decent '09 playing in four different positions.

Add to that that he's consistently been one of NSW's best players on the field and I think he's fair game.

Longevity in the game does not equate to greatness or impression - just because a bloke plays 6 seasons doesn't mean he's better than a bloke who played 3.

Going by that rationale then, El Masri's out of the running.

But c'mon now. Hayne had a great 06 on the wing. 07 was split between wing and fullback. 08 was centre/fullback. 09 was mostly fullback.
So at best, 1 and a half season's on the wing, qualifies him for a decade period over someone like Vatuvei who's had 4 or 5 useful years at both club and international level? Pleease!

Haynes a dynamite player, but the impression he's made is based by and large on an absolutely stellar 2009 playing fullback.

I can't go past tingah, my be sounding a bit biased but f**k he was an incredible player, deadset freak.
was one of my favourite players growing up