What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winning after a Townsville final?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Cowboys will murder the Knights.

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
For instance, 11 finals game is a meaningless sample size to draw any conclusions….but a 9 game sample size is fine.
I don’t think nine games tells us anything conclusive, but if you do then this thread is for you.

I believe recovering from playing in the tropics in September takes longer than recovery from other games because Gould told us it was the case. The (limited) data happens to confirm it. Even if the data is meaningless we still have expert opinion.

EelEtric

Juniors
I don’t think nine games tells us anything conclusive, but if you do then this thread is for you.

I believe recovering from playing in the tropics in September takes longer than recovery from other games because Gould told us it was the case. The (limited) data happens to confirm it. Even if the data is meaningless we still have expert opinion.
Interesting that playing in the tropics between April and August seems to have less of a bearing on recovery, or at least on subsequent results in the following game.
We have taken 10 games to Darwin since 2014 and of the 20 games played the following week by us and our opposition, there have been 11 wins and 9 losses.

Of those 11 wins, we have had 6 and 5 of these were in the years we were arguably in better form or with a stronger squad (2016, '17, '19, '21, '22). Our other win was in 2023.

Opposing sides have only won 5 from 10 the weekend after playing in Darwin. Cowboys won 1 of theirs and lost 2, including a loss in Townsville.

Gronk

Staff member
I asked Gloria from ChatGPT to apply her analysis. She said that playing a finals game after a game in NQld was statistically insignificant.

The whole season however could be parsed and 2022, 2023 and 2024 stats were provided. She said.

Overall Observations​

Across the three seasons, 2022 and 2023 show a 50-50 win/loss split for teams following a match in North Queensland, with a slight shift towards better performance in 2024.

Thus, no strong pattern suggests that playing in North Queensland consistently leads to a drop in performance the following week. While heat and fatigue may play a role in some cases, the data doesn't clearly support the conjecture that teams are significantly disadvantaged. There may be other factors at play, such as team form, opposition strength, or scheduling quirks, which could also explain the results.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree it’s not statistically significant. But in a world where one game proves a bloke can’t coach, results after Townsville finals should be convincing.

Gronk

Staff member
I agree it’s not statistically significant. But in a world where one game proves a bloke can’t coach, results after Townsville finals should be convincing.
Well we actually live in a world where the amount of hair on your head allegedly impacts your ability to make sound coaching decisions.

Latest posts