What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Withers signs?

Raider_69

Post Whore
4 years for a bloke that hasnt really set the world alight and on a large contract?
stupid, sign him for 1 or 2 years, if he proves his worth, then resign him for a couple more

4 years on a high contract is a risk i wouldnt be taking on Withers

Kris_man

Bench
but a long contract might be the selling, as he knows that other clubs will be very hesitant to sign him for a long term deal. the Raiders have probably been told "long term or nothing". is it true that we signed Jason Smith for 250K? If so, then Withers would definitely be worth at least 150K. gee, what a waste of $$$ Smith was/is. you have to pay players the big dough nowadays, the Hawkins philosophy of "not overpaying any one player" is stupid.

Raider_69

Post Whore
but a waste of money that will at worst only take a year to abolish
withers should be on something simular IMO

innsaneink

Referee
Raider_69 said:
by today?
interesting
to be honest id perfer him at the tigers
they need him, IMO we dont, Luke Jay is coming up and looks to be a more than compitent hooker for when Germ retires and we have a wealth of halves talent if they are just give a go

a waste of money IMO, i wouldnt see him playing a large role in first grade, perfer to save the money for someone major next season, we have got ALOT of people coming off contract, we will need all the cash we can get

Sorry to disappoint you...looks like youve gotten him.

Bay56

First Grade
Withers is probably the only long term decent signing we have made ... he's not a world beater but nonetheless steady.

Ale is not a long term signing .... my bet is that he will stay for his contract then move on. Mind you if we get a change in the coaching ranks I will have to revise my thinking.

jed

First Grade
Maybe it's worth keeing in mind that it's a few weeks since Sports Tonight were apparently saying that Withers had already signed with us.

I know the SMH is usually a fairly reliable paper, but as with all our other "signings", I'm waiting until I see an announcement from the Raiders before I start celebrating.

Raider_69

Post Whore
yea ill await the press release from Raiders HQ
look let me gets this straight, i dont mind Lincon Withers, decent player and local junior but i cant see him playing a major role untill after germ retires/goes to ESL, and he is reportably on a hefty amount... for 4 years

thats what i dont like, i have the feeling this might see us lose one of our players off contract next season #-o

raiders_boy

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
thats what i dont like, i have the feeling this might see us lose one of our players off contract next season #-o

Im with u there... We have alot of players coming off contract next season, and if we have thrown alot of money at withers, then i reckon we will lose a big name...

Anyway, if its true, im extremely happy with that signing. I think Withers is a top player, and better to have too many good players than not enough, especially in the halves department.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Well unfortunatly i think this defeinatly spells the end for Woolford
he will probably go to the ESL, i like Woolford but he is clearly past his best so i dont see that as a bad thing per say. However i have grave fears that Schif will follow him with Toots retiring soon #-o

so in 3 years i fear we may have lost
Wiki
Davico
Croker
Woolford
Schifcofske

thats a fair chunk from our team

raiders_boy

Juniors
damn straight it is, but they are all fairly old, and will be very old in 3 years...I don't think Schif will leave though. If he does it would be shattering, but i think he will be loyal...

Raider_69

Post Whore
yea i have no doubts he isnt going to another NRL team but the money thrown at him by ESL teams maybe more then enough to drag him away, with good reason too, cant play footy all your life, gotta take the cash when you can get it

:cry:

raiders_boy

Juniors
well lets hope hes around for a few more years yet... plus, does anyone know if tyran is going anywhere? And im still waiting for official confirmation on Withers... has anyone got that yet?

lotm

Juniors
firstly, i'd like to state that i think the signing of withers is a good sign (if it turns out to be fact), for the qualities many of you have mentioned. however, i've been reading about withers being on a "massive" 4 year deal. is it just me, or might this refer to the length of the deal rather than the amount of it?

also, for all those worried about re-signing (NOT RESIGNING) players for next season, it appears you've forgotten about smith and adamson. they're only on 1 year deals, and i'd suggest their contracts are probably pretty big. couple that with the fact that woolford may leave for esl (which wouldn't be an enormous loss, imo), and there's going to be plenty of cash to re-sign (NOT RESIGN) players.

i am, however, worried about the experience we'll lose if/when toots, germ and choc leave. who knows ... maybe we'll be able to chase after a big name with all the cash that will be spare.

CULLUS.ONLINE

Juniors
As bias as i may be, im still a bit sceptical about the SMH report

It only said that Withers had been released to the raiders. Now does that mean that he has official signed? Has canberra official released a statement on Lincoln saying that he has signed?

Because we all know that the reporter might have just said "released to canberra" to finish of the sentence on a rumour that was going around? (Do you get my drift???)

Anyway, i'll wait for the raiders to officially say that he has signed.

Kris_man

Bench
yeah, i'm sceptical too, but as with Frawley, the signs are looking good. We're gonna have a good team next year.