What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wooden spoon favourite?

Wooden spoon favourite?

• Gold Coast Titans

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • Parramatta Eels

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Cronulla Sharks

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • Penrith Panthers

Votes: 34 28.3%
  • Other

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • Nth Qld Cowboys

Votes: 9 7.5%

• Total voters

BunniesMan

Immortal
Souths have been pretty awful too if you care to remember. Just because they happened to win this week because of the referee doesn't mean you're suddenly out of the running for the spoon.
Mate Souths have been miles better than those teams i mentioned. We were a combined 12 minutes away from being 3-0 right now. And our two losses came against likely top 8 teams.

Absolutely no chance whatsoever that Warriors will get the spoon

They're too good. They'll be top 8.
How long before you two realise the Warriors are overrated? 3 weeks obviously isn't enough. They've been arguably the worst team of the year so far.

I just think they have too many good players to finish last. Their spine is a weakness, but they'll still push for the top 8.

I also dislike predicting teams to finish last when they usually have a good record at home. This could also save the Titans and work against teams like Eels or the Panthers.

Dragons went 1-5 under Brown and still easily made the finals.

Another thing I forgot to add is that Warriors obviously won't be as affected during Origin compared to other teams.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Warriors seem to have lost both their tough hitting and their flair which has always been trade marks of a NZ team.

Penrith or Cowboys for the spoon.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Dragons went 1-5 under Brown and still easily made the finals.

Another thing I forgot to add is that Warriors obviously won't be as affected during Origin compared to other teams.

Yep. In 2005 we were 1-5 and lost three more games all year. Penrith did something similar in 2003.

Season is long. They'll get on a roll somewhere I'd think.

The Titans are the issue for me. Like Canterbury last year, they got very old over the summer.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
we'll get on a roll once bluey takes over.

the organisation seems to have put up the white flag....unless something huge happens, we're gone.

but hey, maybe no more eden puke.

Scarves

Juniors
With Vatuvei out for a significant period and the Warriors not holding the ball, and now add Jerome Ropati gone for the season, the Warriors look to be in trouble. Another loss next week and you'll see what under the pump is all about. But I think they'll avoid the spoon.

Parramatta are seriously pushing it up hill. From the outside looking in and with the reports that these geezers are way, way under the cap, it appears they have written off their season and are already preparing for 2012. They have a very simplistic halves combination, Mortimer is being paid overs for his brand name only and Matt Keating has little impact, Moi Moi only has a go in the oppostions quarter and Hindy is getting a sore back from carrying these peanuts. Add to that the guys on superannuation they brought in for this season.... wow...the west seriously deserves better. Nothing appears to have changed since the new goons turfed Fitzgerald either. Being a Manly fan I've always had a healthy respect for the Eels and enjoy the rivalry but other than 10 games at the back end of 2009, the past five years have been rubbish and like I said, their fans and the game deserves better than this mob becoming a wooden spoon contender.

Jimmy Smooth

Juniors
Panthers for sure, 2 dismal performances and i still dont know how the beat the Eels. Eels and Warriors may still be a chance of getting the kitchen utensil but at this stage i cant see Panthers improving much.

carcharias

Immortal
the panthers pack is a bit dodgy looking.
are there players still out that I have forgotten about?

I really think the new rules have swung the game in favour of the teams with big mobile forwards.

dogslife

Coach
I don't understand this not spending your entire salary cap rubbish. Are Parra and the Panthers struggling to attract enough talented players that they have virtually write off one season in order to hopefully do better in future years. Clubs are always complaining that the salary cap is too low and they're struggling to hold onto players, yet we have two teams who would have to be well under their salary caps and are underperforming as a result. If you've got the money, spend it

oldmancraigy

Coach
I don't understand this not spending your entire salary cap rubbish. Are Parra and the Panthers struggling to attract enough talented players that they have virtually write off one season in order to hopefully do better in future years. Clubs are always complaining that the salary cap is too low and they're struggling to hold onto players, yet we have two teams who would have to be well under their salary caps and are underperforming as a result. If you've got the money, spend it

I think the idea is not to spend the money on crud players, rather holding on to it in the hope of spending it on a good player.

If you followed the off-season player movements, you MIGHT have noticed that Parramatta were throwing that top coin at all the top players - desperately looking to get a top halfback.

They didn't manage it, so they sat on their gun rather than overpay a hack.
Because although it might not hurt them THIS year, it would certainly hurt them NEXT year when A. Hack is still under contract.

The OTHER bonus of keeping money up your sleeve is to spend it on the disgruntled player who asks for a mid-season release. Suddenly you're the club with the dollar to spend to pick them up.

As a Parra fan, it's hard to watch the team struggle without a top line half - but we didn't get one no matter how hard we tried. We do still have a "top 25" like every other club. Would it make me happy to know that those 25 were being paid more money than they're worth?
Probably not.

At least I can take comfort in the fact that although we're not going real good, we're currently still ahead of the Warriors and Gold Coast - who did happen to spend all their money!! (not sure we'll stay that way - but enjoy what you can while you can!)

Latest posts