What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Club Challenge

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i may just take you up on that pat... i'm off to go find a decent barry white video..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Houston .... You have a problem.

World Club Championship - TRAVEL WARNING.

Cheers
Quigs

best to advise newcastle.. he was last playing for them before he was busted..

and i'm pretty sure he wasn't planning on going to watch his old team, but i think his passport is cancelled anyway..

Bilko

Juniors
It's looking pretty certain that the match will be at our home venue (DW Stadium) here in Wigan on Sunday 27th February with a 6:30pm Kick Off.

The team visiting normally has a warm up game in London against Harlequins the week before but I wonder if you'll play Crusaders (the welsh team) instead with Wales just having qualified for the Four Nations to be held here next year.

And if anyone is coming early the weekend of 12th/13th Feb sees our season start with a "magic weekend" in Cardiff which sees all 7 of the weeks Super League games being played in one stadium over two days.

Benny

First Grade
It's looking pretty certain that the match will be at our home venue (DW Stadium) here in Wigan on Sunday 27th February with a 6:30pm Kick Off.

The team visiting normally has a warm up game in London against Harlequins the week before but I wonder if you'll play Crusaders (the welsh team) instead with Wales just having qualified for the Four Nations to be held here next year.

And if anyone is coming early the weekend of 12th/13th Feb sees our season start with a "magic weekend" in Cardiff which sees all 7 of the weeks Super League games being played in one stadium over two days.

Any idea of when an annoucement will be made as I had heard the opposite and had resigned myself to not going to England.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Wigan Today reported late last week that no negotiations had taken place between the NRL and RFL and it was unlikely the match would be moved to AUS... they said the RFL were still operating on the provisional understanding the match would be played at Reebok Stadium, Bolton on Feb 27, 2011.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-warriors/no_aussie_switch_for_challenge_1_2452311

EDIT: that article seems to say DW Stadium, I was reading Reebok Stadium, Bolton :?

Not sure which now.

cleary89

Coach
Did you read the last part of that article? Goes on to say how Graham Annesly says they have been talking.

JDS

Juniors
Just checking to see if anyone has any updates for the WCC, dates ; times ; venue....Any feedback would be appreciated..

The Major

Bench
Word has been confirmed from the club that "if" the game was to be played, it WILL be in the U.K. Read into it what you may.

St. Linnane

First Grade
This is the response I posted in the Jubilee Ave sub forum which is where Major took his advice from.

I received the following response from the club and I have the ok to publish it:

I refer to your email of 2 November re the World Club Challange.

As you stated, the Dragons have not commented officially on the World Club Challenge, at this point, as matters are yet to be resolved.

Initially we were interested, as were English Rugby League officials and the NRL, in transferring the game to Australia.

Such a transfer seems doubtful at the moment, however discussion on the outcome are yet to be finalised.

We will make our position clear very soon – within a week I would think.

Thank you for your support of the Dragons. I do understand your concerns regarding bookings etc however nothing has been finalised at this point.

With respect to your questions:

1. The date proposed is Saturday 27th February
2. The Country would be England / Nth England, however as I said not yet finalised.

Thanks again for the support.

The questions which were asked were:

Is the club in a position to confirm the date that the World Club Challenge will be played?

Is the club in a position to confirm the location, or, at a minimum the country, that the World Club Challenge will be played?

If the club is not able to provide confirmation of either of the above, would it be possible to advise the likely timeframe to being in a position to make an announcement?

So we should know all sometime this week.

The Major

Bench
Theres still alot of uncertainty though. The date is only "proposed" and the country "would" . Until those words are changed to "is and will be played.... Blah blah blah" we can only sit back and watch the flight costs tick over in the wrong direction. Hopefully the lock in will be as said, within a week. Thanks for the follow up St Linnane.

BigNormProvan

Juniors
I plan to ask my boss for 'compassionate leave', if he rejects the proposal I will draw my 6 shooter and 'put a canoe in his head'.

As you all understand, this is very serious business.

Big Norm

Ian'Abdul'Walsh

Juniors
No i won't be able to go over there but i do think it is a shame that the game is played when it is making it a technically just a trial for both teams. I think it would be better to be played say a couple of weeks after the grand finals, this would give the teams time to get over there celebrations with both teams fielding there grand final winning teams. I don't know about Wigan but it would allow Jeromy Smith, Jerrod Saffy and Neville Costigan to play in the game with there team mates. This would be a true indication of which team was the best in the world.

Ian'Abdul'Walsh

Juniors
No i won't be able to go over there but i do think it is a shame that the game is played when it is making it a technically just a trial for both teams. I think it would be better to be played say a couple of weeks after the grand finals, this would give the teams time to get over there celebrations with both teams fielding there grand final winning teams. I don't know about Wigan but it would allow Jeromy Smith, Jerrod Saffy and Neville Costigan to play in the game with there team mates. This would be a true indication of which team was the best in the world.

T_B

Juniors
Confirmed at Wigan, Sunday February 27 2011, kick-off 7:15pm

Check the super league website (i cant post links)

Last edited:

Latest posts