What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World club challenge

St_Helens_Goat

Juniors
Relegation is the biggest hinderance to player development over there, Why look long term when it will cost you a spot in the Top League
Problem is theyre trying to get it right. No Relegation means the back end of the season can be non existent for half the teams. Nothing to play for. Relegation keeps every team on their toes but then that does affect the bigger picture, i agree.

Going back to the game i'd have been very confident of beating you at Home. We came close to beating the Roosters in 2020 despite us missing 5-6 key players. I think going to OZ is a huge ask and it'd be the result of the decade if we pull it off

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Easier said than done when Rugby League is behind Football, Cricket and Rugby Union in the Uk. My town St Helens is 30 minutes drive from Anfield (Liverpool FC) Goodison (Everton) and 35 minutes drive from Etihad (Man City) and Old Trafford (Man United) not to mention football clubs like Bolton, Tranmere, Wigan who play in lower divisions.

The South of England is dominated by Rugby Union.

St Helens, Wigan and Leeds all have a fantastic junior development programmes.

I think your retirement comment is harsh. At my club alone ive seen some fantastic overseas players Jamie Lyon, Jason Cayless (in his prime) and some older players like David Fairleigh and Darren Britt really was fantastic despite the ages.

NRL have got it right, its a fantastic product but its like comparing Apples to Oranges when you compare finances, talent pool etc..

Thanks for answering my comment. League in England is behind those codes you mentioned.

Perhaps I was harsh in saying that Super league was a 'retirement home' but I believe the NRL players props up the game in UK. (like a poorly fitting crutch) Monies spent on overseas players I believe would and could be far better spent in developing and nuturing local juniors.

I would also consider having a combined team play either NSW cup or Qld as a measure for nuturing and developing players like what PNG are currently doing.

Contining to do the same thing over and over again, without change. Expecting an improved result is plain crazy.

Murraymob1

Juniors
Thanks for answering my comment. League in England is behind those codes you mentioned.

Perhaps I was harsh in saying that Super league was a 'retirement home' but I believe the NRL players props up the game in UK. (like a poorly fitting crutch) Monies spent on overseas players I believe would and could be far better spent in developing and nuturing local juniors.

I would also consider having a combined team play either NSW cup or Qld as a measure for nuturing and developing players like what PNG are currently doing.

Contining to do the same thing over and over again, without change. Expecting an improved result is plain crazy.
They are changing things but as has been stated you are competing with union soccer who have big money behind them

Murraymob1

Juniors
Masked panther is reporting
There be no merchandise for the World Cup challenge game releases by penrith .Hopefully the nrl will as it is there game
Either way you would think it a revenue opportunity lost.Would love to see them auction the game worn jerseys money going to panthers on the prowl

Hooked

Juniors
Masked panther is reporting
There be no merchandise for the World Cup challenge game releases by penrith .Hopefully the nrl will as it is there game
Either way you would think it a revenue opportunity lost.Would love to see them auction the game worn jerseys money going to panthers on the prowl

Missed opportunity. If the NRL do nothing it will be a wasted opportunity.

blue bags

First Grade
Dragons won everything on offer in 2010 2011
Charity shield. Anzac cup. Minor premiership. Grand final. Challenge cup. What can I or anyone say about that 😎. 😂

Original Name

Juniors
When players like Brodie Croft are winning player of the year, That tells you all you need to know about the standard
He's a decent player when he runs the ball into half gaps and uses his speed and strength. He was doing none of that at the Broncs. Him going away from his strengths getting caught up in trying and failing to run a team doesn't mean he's incapable of playing well. It possibly means the Broncs were playing him in the wrong position and it's their fault not Brodie's.

Iamback

Coach
He's a decent player when he runs the ball into half gaps and uses his speed and strength. He was doing none of that at the Broncs. Him going away from his strengths getting caught up in trying and failing to run a team doesn't mean he's incapable of playing well. It possibly means the Broncs were playing him in the wrong position and it's their fault not Brodie's.

And Jackson Hastings before that? Who is onto his 4th NRL club

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Love the fact that St Helen's chief exec is suffering from 'a bad case of sunburn'.

Aother wonderful thought by St Helens.........'we went from 10-12 degree heat to playing in 30 degree heat in the south of France'.

These blokes have seriously no idea what Penrith brings at 6pm on a summer's night.

Especially after not training in extreme heat for the summer.

St Helens, Welcome to HELL. :p:eek::D