What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Club Series

St Helens, Warrington & Wigan confirmed for English Super League
Brisbane, Canterbury & Souths confirmed for NRL

How did Brisbane get their foot in? The ESL have included the top three teams (Warrington on F&A over Catalans) while Dogs have been the new inclusion as one of the NRL contigents and rightly deserved.

Im aware Souths confirmed pre-mature to the end of the season but they were always going to be a top 4 team needless to say theyve warranted their inclusion.

Shouldnt Penrith or Roosters be the third club?

Last edited:

pHyR3

Juniors
stupid idea. respect history with the club challenge and remove all this gimicky bullcrap like All Stars, World Club Series and maybe even City Country.

WCC then NRL Nines, Trials, NRL season with 3 standalone origin weeks followed by a world internationals. Build a strong product with those core comps over the next few decades rather than money grabbing opportunities like this.

alien

Referee
Biggest club in the country and helping to organise it probably had something to do with it.

its stupid and makes the whole thing have no credibility.

i would rather they just had the world club challenge like usual, but it should be at the nrl champions home ground/city every 2nd year, and maybe 2 weeks after the nrl grandfinal

WireMan

Bench
Warrington ranked higher on F&A i think or something along those lines

It is because Warrington finished higher than Catalans in the league.
The official league standings are based on playoff performance so the league table is:

Wigan/saints
Warrington
Catalan
Hudds
Cas
Leeds
Widnes.

Its all about what round you get knocked out in and who ranked higher of the two teams knocked out in each round.

I assume Brisbane get the honour of playing in Warrington

Is this just a warm up game or are they going to make a shield or something?
I'll prob be going. :)

deluded pom?

Coach
It is because Warrington finished higher than Catalans in the league.
The official league standings are based on playoff performance so the league table is:

Wigan/saints
Warrington
Catalan
Hudds
Cas
Leeds
Widnes.

Its all about what round you get knocked out in and who ranked higher of the two teams knocked out in each round.

I assume Brisbane get the honour of playing in Warrington

Is this just a warm up game or are they going to make a shield or something?
I'll prob be going. :)

This extended comp is even more contrived than the "Sky Cup" you so often deride yet you'll still support it! Unbelievable.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
There is too much league as it is. They are only going to weaken the overly long ESL doing this. Just play the one game and be done with it if you have to.

some11

Referee
f**king ridiculous that we're in this somehow.

All it does is cheapen the WCC and clog up an already packed pre-season with 4N, training, trials and Nines yet to come.

Last edited:

goodplayer

Juniors
f**king ridiculous that we're in this somehow.

All it does is cheapen the WCC and clog up an already packed pre-season with 4N, training, trials and Nines yet to come.
broncos 2015 season gone before it starts :roll::lol:
who cares :roll:

WireMan

Bench
This extended comp is even more contrived than the "Sky Cup" you so often deride yet you'll still support it! Unbelievable.

I watch Warrington in the sky cup to.

Also this is trying to expand a competition, not make the match between the champions meaningless, whereas the sky cup just made the league irrelevant.

So not really the same at all.

Still what do I know eh? You are right the structure you love so much is great and the rfl won't change anything next year.

How silly do I sound now... ;-)

Oh god...

The St George Illawarra Dragons have accepted their invitation to participate in the 2015 World Club Series.

The European Super League have confirmed that the Dragons will join the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Brisbane Broncos in the series which will be played in the United Kingdom over three days from February 20-22 next year.

The tournament will culminate with the World Club Challenge to determine the best Rugby League team in the world.

The Dragons have been invited following the success of the Rabbitohs in last weekend’s NRL Grand Final..

Super League General Manager Blake Solly said St George Illawarra had an enormous following in both Australia and the United Kingdom.

“Having tasted success in the 2011 World Club Challenge, it is fitting the Dragons are the third representative from the NRL," said Solly.

"The Dragons have a unique place in the history of the sport and Super League fans will look forward to seeing them in the series.

“With the Wigan Warriors, St Helens and Warrington Wolves confirmed as Super League’s participating clubs, excitement is already building for the Series.

“Not only will the World Club series pit club and against club, but the Super League against the NRL in a fascinating competition between two leagues and two hemispheres.”

This will mark the first time the Dragons have played on UK soil since their World Club Challenge victory over the Wigan Warriors at DW Stadium, Wigan in 2011.

"The World Club Series is a great concept and something that our Club has been an advocate of for some time,” said Dragons CEO Peter Doust.

"We are delighted to have been invited by the Super League and look forward to this inaugural event".

NRL Head of Football, Todd Greenberg said the new format would add interest to the World Club Challenge.

“Fans already love seeing the best from Australia play the best from Britain,” said Greenberg.

“But this tournament will showcase three of the top clubs in the NRL.

“It is a chance for our teams to go head-to-head with the best in the UK to determine the best Rugby League clubs in the world.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2014/10/08/dragons_to_play_in_world_club_series.html

Latest posts