What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup 2013 Draw Announced

donny donny

Juniors
http://www.midlandsrugbyleague.co.uk/article/2013-rugby-league-world-cup.html

Group A
ENGLAND
AUSTRALIA
FIJI
IRELAND

Group B
NEW ZEALAND
FRANCE
PAPUA NEW GUINEA
SAMOA

Group C
SCOTLAND
TONGA
EUROPEAN QUALIFIER (Lebanon, Serbia, Russia or Italy)

Group D
WALES
COOK ISLANDS
ATLANTIC QUALIFIER (USA, South Africa or Jamaica)

Group C and D teams play one cross group game as follows;
SCOTLAND V ATLANTIC QUALIFIER
TONGA V COOK ISLANDS
WALES V EUROPEAN QUALIFIER

The top 3 teams from both Group A and B progress along with the winners of Group C and D to the quarter-finals.

I like it. Good draw for Wales. At home and they only have to beat the Cooks two qualifiers to progress, and maybe even only two of them.

I like the cross pool idea. I know a lot of people won't though because I proposed it for the last WC and it was howled down. But it makes sense to me.

I assume the fact that Wales has been announced as co-hosts but no mention of games in Scotland and Ireland suggests they won't host games, or that it's a wait and see how things go between now and when venues are announced.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Nice format, I like it more than the 2008 one. I would guess at the Group C and D winners playing the runners up from A and B, with the winners advancing straight to semis? Edit: Missed the fact that 3 will qualify from A and B, so ECT's idea looks right. I think the one I posted would make more sense.

They have to have 3 from A and B otherwise poor old Fiji have no chance like in 95 and 2000. And like PNG did in 08.

DINGb@T

Juniors
Wow. This kind've snuck up on us. Did anyone know this was about to be announced?

3 qualifiers from A and B is good as it will mean there's competition for that 3rd spot. Pool B will be especially interesting as any of those teams will have a chance of making it to the quarters.

The crossover games for C and D have also been done with a bit of common sense. Wales playing Euro qualifier, Scotland playing Atlantic and the two PI countries playing each other should mean interesting rivalries which should get a crowd to at least the Wales and Scotland games.

Overall I dont think it's too bad.

Oh, and the qualifiers confirm that Japan and Canada wont be part of the Atlantic qualifiers which is interesting.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Interesting. Im excited to see how this pans out. Pool B is a worry as there is only 1 European team there, but its exciting to see how it goes. The quarter final process will be interesting. Who will play who. We should contact the RLIF.

jim_57

Staff member
If France aren't hosting games then that's the only negative that comes mind. Playing France V NZ, PNG and Samoa in England would be ridiculous seeing as there is potential for a lot more income just across the channel.

Would do wonders in either of the follwing could happen:

Wales, France or PNG could be competitive with the "big 3"
England win the WC
Australia miss the final

I think France will host games. They just aren't an official host. It would be the worst decision in RL history if the WC is played in the UK and France aren't able to at least play their games at home. I can't see that being the case.

Springs

First Grade
I would have liked Wales in Group A, but they must think that they will get crowds regardless of the opposition. Of all the teams, Wales vs Cook Islands looks least likely to get a good crowd.
I also wonder how Samoa gets the last spot in Group B.
I'm guessing the quarter finals will look like this:
France vs Scotland
England vs Wales
Australia vs Papua New Guinea
New Zealand vs Ireland

Or along those lines. It will be interesting to see where the quarter finals are played at.

roopy

Referee
I think Fiji will finish ahead of Ireland, and if they get a shot at France in the quarters they will be a big chance at defending their top 4 finish.

hutch

First Grade
i like it! only downer for me is the poor group wales are in but i suppose it is punishment for not making the last world cup!

docbrown

Coach
I hope Wales & France host their own pools.

Things I like:
* England & Australia guaranteed pool game
* The mix of countries in the pools
* Tonga vs Cook Islands
* Pool cross overs

Things I question:
* Since the world cup, are Ireland & Samoa really better than Wales and Tonga?
* Top 6 of Top 8 making finals - depending on the draw, we're likely to know the Top 2 qualifying teams of Pools A & B in Week 2 (just like 4 nations). Hopefully tickets are sold but we don't want dead rubbers.

I think seeing this, realistically the best format is a 12 team 4 pools of 3 competition

Top 6:
Pool A - host in England
England
Australia
PNG

Pool B - host in France
France
New Zealand
Fiji

Top 6:
Pool C
Ireland/Scotland
Samoa
Lebanon

Pool D - host wales games in wales or nearby
Wales
Tonga
USA

Pools A & B play 1 extra cross over game
Pools C & D play 1 extra cross over game
So same amount of game in total for the pool rounds and most likely qualifiers won't be determined until after all pool games are played due to the cross-overs

6 teams for the finals (4 of top 6, 2 of bottom 6) out of 12 (rather than 8 out of 14)
Pool A2 vs Pool C1
Pool B2 vs Pool D1
Pool A1 vs Semi#1
Pool B1 vs Semi#2
World Cup Final

Anyhow, I think the format chosen will work

hutch

First Grade
its on the rlif site!

http://www.rlif.co.uk/rugby-league-international-news/article/2013-rugby-league-world-cup

2013 Rugby League World Cup Launched

The 2013 Rugby League World Cup has been officially launched after the RFL hosted a ‘kick-off’ event at Manchester’s new MediaCityUK development on Tuesday November 30.
The 2013 competition, which will be contested in venues throughout England and Wales, will be the 14th staging of the Rugby League World Cup and has already been backed by Rugby League legend Ellery Hanley and former Olympic medal winner Iwan Thomas. .
Speaking at the tournaments kick-off event held at MediaCityUK, in what was the first event of its kind to be held at the new venue, RFL Chairman Richard Lewis said, “It is a great boost for Rugby League in this country to secure the World Cup in 2013. The last tournament staged in Australia in 2008 was an enormous success.
“Our aim is to build on that success and to deliver a profitable tournament that further enhances the international game across the globe and raises the profile of the sport in the UK.”
Having been awarded the rights to host the event in June 2009, the RFL utilised the kick-off event to make a series of major announcements about the tournament, including the identity of 12 qualified teams and to outline the scale of its ambition to host the most successful Rugby League World Cup of all time.
Australia, Cook Islands, England, Fiji, France, Ireland, New Zealand, Papa New Guinea, Samoa, Scotland, Tonga and Wales have all been confirmed as competing nations and they will be joined by one qualifier from a European Qualifying group consisting of Italy, Lebanon, Russia and Serbia and one qualifier from an Atlantic Qualifying group consisting of Jamaica, South Africa and the USA.
The competition’s structure will consist of two groups of four, with England drawn alongside perennial foes Australia, Fiji and Ireland in Group A and World Cup New Zealand facing Pacific Island rivals Papua New Guinea, Samoa and France in Group B. Scotland will face Tonga and the European qualifiers in Group C and joints hosts Wales have been drawn against the Cook Islands and the Atlantic Qualifiers.
Speaking in the events promotional video, Prime Minister David Cameron also put the weight of the Coalition government behind the RFL’s announcement, emphasising the sporting potential the next decade offers.
“This government is right behind the RFL,” said Cameron. “As one of the sports that this country holds closest to its heart, we know what a privilege and honour it is to host this tournament and I’m fully confident that the RFL will do the United Kingdom proud and I look forward to working closely with them to make sure it is a great success.
“The next decade promises to be one of the most exciting in our countries history. There will be the Olympics, the Cricket World Cup, hopefully the Football World Cup and the Rugby League World Cup. Coming so soon after the Olympics, the RFL have the opportunity to ride on the crest of that wave and host and truly memorable tournament.”
First Minister of Wales Carwyn Jones added: “It is a privilege for Wales to be given this opportunity. We saw tremendous success during the 1995 World Cup when Wales was host to numerous fixtures and the Welsh public came out in force to support their home team and to witness some of the world’s greatest players.
“With Rugby League enjoying a new found growth in Wales in recent years and with the sport having been played in schools throughout the country for the past eight years, we are confident that hosting games in venues such as the Millennium Stadium will be a great way of helping boost the sport in Wales.
“Hosting such an event will also provide a welcome financial boost to those towns and cities who secure the right to host fixtures, training camps and house the playing squads and with the potential for many visitors set to be attracted to these shores, the economic impact has the potential to be great.”

he seemed to have missed an event occuring over the next decade! :) 4 billion people will be very upset!

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
I think Fiji will finish ahead of Ireland, and if they get a shot at France in the quarters they will be a big chance at defending their top 4 finish.

Im not so sure, no Hayne plus possibly no Uate and the English conditions. But anything can happen..

DINGb@T

Juniors
its on the rlif site!

http://www.rlif.co.uk/rugby-league-international-news/article/2013-rugby-league-world-cup

he seemed to have missed an event occuring over the next decade! :) 4 billion people will be very upset!

:) The fact that they didnt mention it just confirms the point that there is bad blood between the two to the point that national leaders need to be politically conscious about the rivalry. So much for there not being a north/south divide.

France not hosting isn't such a bad thing. Future WCs will have to be held somewhere other than Australia and England. In the northern hemisphere that means France is a possible future location, much like NZ not getting any 2008 games because they'll probably get the next southern hemisphere one. And it's not like their fans can't get on a train and cross the Channel. That's why countries host these events after all- the massive tourism potential.

I like it.

The Pool A contest will be between Ireland and Fiji and that's a good thing.

In Pool B, Samoa will have a tough fight to progress.

I think Pool C will be wide open considering Tonga's continual failure to meet potential.

Pool D looks like going to Wales but I think the Atlantic Qualifier might actually have a decent chance here. It's 3 years away and that gives the AMNRL a bit more time to develop so the US and Jamaica might be in a position to stage an upset.

Quarters will go as ETC has stated and not be worth much in terms of actual competition. The real question will be, as we know, which team stands up to take the 4th spot in the semis.

The other question is which of Australia and England come second in their Pool and have to play PNG/France, which is the only realistic chance of an upset in the Quarters as the other big nations will draw against minnows.

Latest posts