What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup 2017

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/rugby-league/99351763/

The tier one international test arena is above the playing level of the NRL obviously. Nikorima (8 tests) and Martin (6) do not have the test experience that Benji Marshall (29) has. Wing, centre, prop are positions that do not require making big decisions and so rookies in those positions come in to tests more comfortably. The rookie halves however, particularly the stand-off and the halfback, has a lot more pressure as they have to dictate and execute the right plays against the highest level opposition from which they have little to no experience.

When the team isn't going to well or a hanging by a thread, its easy for these inexperienced halves to panic and push something that doesn't come off or just step back and go missing. Thats partially because they're new to test match intensity, having the hopes of their country weighing on their young shoulders and like Te Maire Martins 3rd test was the RLWC semi final?! It's like advertising for a bus driver to drive the kiwis to a place called 'world champion' and the job description says no experience required, you dont even have to have been there!

My biggest problem with Kidwell is I felt that he never really picked the best team available. Taumalolo, Fusitua, Marshall etc...they were all rubbed the wrong way with Kidwell.

We didn't even get to play England or Australia.
England looked ok and got better, we looked good and got worse.
Panic set in after Nikorima defensive laps v Tonga, should of stuck with him as you say for experience.
What does next year's international calendar look like? There should be at least 10 matches a year, shorten the NRL already.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
We didn't even get to play England or Australia.
England looked ok and got better, we looked good and got worse.
Panic set in after Nikorima defensive laps v Tonga, should of stuck with him as you say for experience.
What does next year's international calendar look like? There should be at least 10 matches a year, shorten the NRL already.

I heard we have 3 games against the Poms next year but no idea of the details

Know there are future plans as well to bring back Lions and Kangaroos tours

ozbash

Referee
I heard we have 3 games against the Poms next year but no idea of the details

Know there are future plans as well to bring back Lions and Kangaroos tours

It' in England I think... last tour was England iirc..

Surely, time we had a series here ?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/...rch-again-in-auckland-cbd-in-protest-at-notry

Reading the comments is awful. Racism is not something I want associated with NZ but there is plenty of it. I don't believe the people making those comments are rugby league supporters.

Thoughts on the protests?

Personally I'm happy with it (whether it was a try or not, I'm still not sure). I'm just happy that the Tongan supporters are bringing to light the obvious refereeing bias in our game. It's not new but it always gets swept under the rug. Unfortunately the NRL doesn't care but I still like the fact that it is being talked about. It is too easy to just move on and allow this BS to continue...

There needs to be an investigation!!!! (Thanks for the quote Tooves) :grinning:

Pretty embarrassing carry-on by Tonga, trying to legally overturn a refereeing decision that isn't even a clear-cut one. I know for a small island nation their experience of sporting success is limited, but there's no need to carry on to the point we forget how decent their campaign on-field was. And hell, they got most of the calls v Lebanon the week before...

Refereeing bias is a thing but it wasn't on show here.

It' in England I think... last tour was England iirc..

Surely, time we had a series here ?
If Aussie not touring there should be an invite to Fiji, Samao and Tonga up there.
Throw in Ireland and French and Scotland and we have a interesting competiton, 4 Northern vs 4 Southern.
Two pools, top of each play each other in final.
There are plenty of stories to tell to sell it, Tonga revenge on England, our revenge on Tonga and Fiji. Irish up and coming.

Someone get this done.
Any billionaires out there interested?

Leber

Bench
How good would it be to have had tonga/fiji 3rd place play off today in this weather at Mt Smart.

If only.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
How good would it be to have had tonga/fiji 3rd place play off today in this weather at Mt Smart.

If only.
Yeah I'd watch it. The thing about doing a 3rd place game is theres no guarantee that it would be as interesting in the future as it is now with Tonga and Fiji having an unusually heavily stacked team.