What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup Crowds

8Ball

First Grade
Just out of interest, for games between lesser nations, what sort of crowds would you be happy with?

It would be a bit embarrassing if for example a Fiji v Scotland at Bluetongue drew less than 2k.

8Ball

First Grade
Maybe im a bit pessimistic, but 5k would be absolutely superb for some of the games in my opinion. 10k would be unreal. The atmosphere would remind people that international rugby league is making a comeback.

:D

roopy

Referee
Tourists will boost crowds beyond what we would expect for some games.
It actually depends on how many poms travel.
If 20k poms travel out we can see 10k crowds of just poms at games in the right place and at the right time - but if only 5k poms travel out they won't make a huge difference at minor games.
As to how many aussies go, it all depends on marketing i think.

hutch

First Grade
i heard that over 25000 tickets have already been sold for the final which is unbelievable. qld should be rewarded for their enthusiasm for international rugby league, they really do put us to shame.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I have more faith in the smaller games selling out around the joint than some of the big Sydney games.

I don't know why people are so negative, RL is a lot bigger out here than it is in England, Australia never wants to look bad in regards to International events, if this one fails, it could hurt us getting other events like the Soccer WC, we are show offs, and as usual, the band wagoners will do their bit to be seen.

Let the whingers, whiners and trolls spew their crap as much as they like, it will be wishful thinking on their part.

The Union WC had to be massively promoted out here for years because it's a minority sport compared to the top two, they had to buy RL players to give it a boost in profile, they didn't have a club comp to look after like the NRL, they had a few tests a year and a 12 week S12 comp to look after, that's why it was pushed so hard, we don't need to push so hard because RL is in the blood, as the season goes on, the promotion will pick up, people will know it's on and they will go to games and drag their family and mates along for a good time.

Yes people will bag it beforehand because it's RL, but that will not stop people going, if died in the wool Leaguies who can't stand union went to the Union WC, I'm sure Leaguies will attend the League WC.

GCR

Juniors
The Central Coast game will draw 500 people, simply because the ridiculous timeslot means people won't be able to make it to the ground in time to watch it. I don't know who made the decision, but they deserve to be shot :x

8Ball

First Grade
I have more faith in the smaller games selling out around the joint than some of the big Sydney games.

I don't know why people are so negative, RL is a lot bigger out here than it is in England, Australia never wants to look bad in regards to International events, if this one fails, it could hurt us getting other events like the Soccer WC, we are show offs, and as usual, the band wagoners will do their bit to be seen.

Let the whingers, whiners and trolls spew their crap as much as they like, it will be wishful thinking on their part.

The Union WC had to be massively promoted out here for years because it's a minority sport compared to the top two, they had to buy RL players to give it a boost in profile, they didn't have a club comp to look after like the NRL, they had a few tests a year and a 12 week S12 comp to look after, that's why it was pushed so hard, we don't need to push so hard because RL is in the blood, as the season goes on, the promotion will pick up, people will know it's on and they will go to games and drag their family and mates along for a good time.

Yes people will bag it beforehand because it's RL, but that will not stop people going, if died in the wool Leaguies who can't stand union went to the Union WC, I'm sure Leaguies will attend the League WC.

I'd love to see 5k between Scotland and Fiji. Just don't think it'll happen at 5:25pm on a bloody Wednesday on the Central Coast. Quote me on this. I don't care. I'll gladly look like a goose if it means I'm pleasantly surprised by the crowd at that game.

langpark

First Grade
2000? 5000? What the hell's the matter with you guys.

Quote me on this then, every game will go close selling out, and the Fiji v Scotland game will get no less than 15,000. WC's don't come around very often.

GCR

Juniors
Only the unemployed will be able to make it to The Scotland v Fiji match, how many people can make it to the footy by 5:25 on a Wednesday arvo, especially when almost no people work near the ground? Would get 15-20,000 if it was at 7:30, though. What a wasted opportunity...

Brycey

Juniors
Very unsure about the Group B (Scotland, France, Fiji) games but Grop A & C games should be all sell-outs.

Whoever decided to put Tonga v Samoa at Penrith is a fkn genius lol.

Brycey

Juniors
Only the unemployed will be able to make it to The Scotland v Fiji match, how many people can make it to the footy by 5:25 on a Wednesday arvo, especially when almost no people work near the ground? Would get 15-20,000 if it was at 7:30, though. What a wasted opportunity...
The unemployed or the retired perhaps. It is very silly, you would have to put a game like that in heavens waiting room. Oh wait...

GCR

Juniors
Perhaps they'll hand out free tickets to Gosford's homeless. They'd pack out the stadium and it'd look great on TV...

Billythekid

First Grade

I'll be there, and i'm working as a nurse. Generalizations FTW?

Knight87

Juniors
I'm sure a lot of kids can make it to the game at Gosford. School normally finishes early on Wednesday, due to Sport in the afternoon (between 12:30-2:30pm). They should at least get 10,000 there. But, I agree, it is poor scheduling. If the kickoff was at least one hour back, they'd get more people.