What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World's Top Ten Fullbacks

Loudstrat

Coach
hayne shat on Bowen on saturday. Inglis shits on everybody. Dugan only shits on his roof. Anyone with that twat in their top 10 - considering he hasnt been in consistent form since that lone origin a few years back - may as well consider Luke Patton.

Barba needs to build upon his breakout season. Other lesser names have been going great gund for a few years - namely Coote and Gordon.

Inglis
daylight
Slater
Hayne
Snake
Gordon
Barba
Mini
Coote
Robinson
Nightingale

Not a sruch match between the last 6

Boyd is a plodder. Bowen is way ast it (sadly). Tomkins - who the f*ck?

Tedesco is the next gun

Tone83

Juniors
Bowen is a funny case, last year he was consistently great, I honestly think.more influential in any cowboy success than JT. This year nothing. Hard for me to swallow he got too old and past it in 5 months after being at his peak. Wondering if he took a pay cut to accomodate the pay rises of jt, tamou and scott and being a quiet fella is complaining by not giving a f**k. For that reason I'm not comfortable dropping him too many rungs. Like I said probably is time for him to go in the halves though.

Barba too, not to go in the halves but he was a top 3 fb as recently as the allstar game, then they stupidly fabricated all that drama unnecessarily and now he's lost his mojo but those are factors separate to how good he actually is.

Playing shit and being shit are separate issues. GI and slater are top tier, hayne, barba,bowen, snake 2nd tier and then a bit of a gap to third tier.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
1.Slater
2.Inglis
3.Hayne
4.Stewart
5.Barba
6.Gordon
7.Bowen
8.Locke
9.Mini
10.Dugan

I dont think it will be long before we see Matt Moyland on this list, I'd already put him higher then Tomkins!

firechild

First Grade
Biggest problem with Dugan, Hayne and Barba is consistency. Hayne was great for half a season in 2009 but has only shown flashes of brilliance since, Barba had a great 2012 but hasn't done much before or since. Dugan is injured half the time, disinterested most of the rest of the time and like Hayne, shows the occasional flash of brilliance. For that reason, the only 2 fullbacks I'd take over Stewart are Slater and Inglis, I think Inglis is quickly showing he is better than Slater as well.

chrisD

Coach
Yeah for sure, Hayne is inconsistent, Coote is one of the top ten fullbacks in the world, Bowen is past it and this is a good thread.

Lambretta

First Grade
Inglis
Slater
Barba
Hayne
Tomkins
Stewart

That would pretty much be my top 6

There are a couple of other young fullbacks playing in the Super League that look like they could go places but they're way behind this lot at the moment. Robinson, Tedesco, Tuivasa-Shek and Gordon also have the potential to be great players.

Sphagnum

Coach
1. Hayne
2. Mullaney
3. Sio
4. Burt
5. Hodgson
6. Schikoffske
7. Mckinnon
8. Eric Grothe Jr
9. Hindmarsh
10. Mahon

No bias here

Joely01

Bench
Biggest problem with Dugan, Hayne and Barba is consistency. Hayne was great for half a season in 2009 but has only shown flashes of brilliance since, Barba had a great 2012 but hasn't done much before or since. Dugan is injured half the time, disinterested most of the rest of the time and like Hayne, shows the occasional flash of brilliance. For that reason, the only 2 fullbacks I'd take over Stewart are Slater and Inglis, I think Inglis is quickly showing he is better than Slater as well.

Put Hayne in either the Storm or Souths lineup and he would be challenging Slater for #1.

firechild

First Grade
Unlikely. He's not anywhere near as consistent and that has nothing to do with his coach or teammates.

natheel

Coach
Put Hayne in either the Storm or Souths lineup and he would be challenging Slater for #1.

Exactly. His form in 09 just shows he is a freak and has shown flashes of it but to be fair on him he hasn't been terrible he is still always up top of try assists for us and top try scorer too.

As for Tomkins no doubt the guy is a good player but until he comes to the NRL and challenges the likes of slater and Inglis week by week in the top rugby league competition in the world then I'm sorry he isn't in the top of the fullbacks. English super league has teams that are equivilant to nsw cup quality mixed with NRL quality sides in the same comp. so if he ends up in the NRL and really shows his potential week by week then we can talk about him being up amongst the best fullbacks.

IMO the best 6 fullbacks are

1. Slater
2. Inglis
Hayne
Barba
Stewart
Bowen

Clear division between 2nd and 3rd at the moment though hence no numbers after inglis

Then the rest

Joely01

Bench
Unlikely. He's not anywhere near as consistent and that has nothing to do with his coach or teammates.

Put Slater or Inglis in the current parra lineup and i will guarantee you they wouldnt be half the player they are in their current lineups.

I dont think people realise that since the run in 09 that Hayne had, our team has literally realied on him to produce something for us to do something in attack, he hasnt had a chance to play a traditional fullback role since 09. Where Slater has had 2 of the best players in the world to run off, it deffinately helps Slater.
Now this year he has finally got a coach who is slowly getting him back to the more traditional fullback like Slater, he has probably been our 2nd best players this year behind Mannah.

Im not saying Slater isnt number 1 (he is), but he has a much easier job the Hayne has had over the last few years.

natheel

Coach

So you're telling me that if slater was in the eels side he would still shine as the best fullback? I'm sorry but no. It has a lot to do with team mates and coach. If you are playing in a team that is always the peak of the competition you are always going to be performing at your best. Look at eels in 09 everyone was on the same page and it allowed hayne to perform at his best. Look at him in origin when he is surrounded by rep qaulity players he performs well above his form for parramatta.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
1. Slater
2. Inglis
3. Stewart
4. Tomkins
5. Gordon
6. Bowen
7. Barba
8. Hayne
9. Dugan
10. B. Hodgson

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
the only 2 fullbacks I'd take over Stewart are Slater and Inglis, I think Inglis is quickly showing he is better than Slater as well.

Agreed. Just look at Manly's record...
2007 - GF runners up
2008 - GF winners
2009 - Snake injured most of season...
2010 - Snake injured most of season...
2011 - GF winners
2012 - GF Qualifier

That's what make me nervous about the next month

Bovrick

Juniors
As for Tomkins no doubt the guy is a good player but until he comes to the NRL and challenges the likes of slater and Inglis week by week in the top rugby league competition in the world then I'm sorry he isn't in the top of the fullbacks. English super league has teams that are equivilant to nsw cup quality mixed with NRL quality sides in the same comp. so if he ends up in the NRL and really shows his potential week by week then we can talk about him being up amongst the best fullbacks.

There's a massive difference between saying it's hard to judge, and saying that the likes of Zillman, Moylan, Coote, Mini, Locke, Norman and Hoffman are better than him - which is plain ridiculous.