What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World's Top Ten Fullbacks

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Until Billy Slater and Greg Inglis single handedly carry Daniel Mortimer and Jeff Robsin to a GF appearance then they are 6 lengths inferior to Hayne on Timeform ratings

Tone83

Juniors
I'm inclined to react against hayne train, as someone who considers GI the greatest southern hemispherian athlete of all time and slater in the top 3 white athletes of all time. However, he's got a point, no one has singlehandedly dominated a string of games like hayne did in 09. If he always played like that he'd definitely be in that top tier with gi and slater, and possibly at the top of it.

hutch

First Grade
I'm inclined to react against hayne train, as someone who considers GI the greatest southern hemispherian athlete of all time and slater in the top 3 white athletes of all time. However, he's got a point, no one has singlehandedly dominated a string of games like hayne did in 09. If he always played like that he'd definitely be in that top tier with gi and slater, and possibly at the top of it.

Why do you always feel the need to mention when a player is white?

natheel

Coach
There's a massive difference between saying it's hard to judge, and saying that the likes of Zillman, Moylan, Coote, Mini, Locke, Norman and Hoffman are better than him - which is plain ridiculous.

I never said they were ahead of him. But people putting him so high up amongst hayne and barba is crazy too. To be honest there is a massive division between slater and inglis from maybe 4 other fullbacks in Stewart, hayne, barba and Bowen then there is a massive gap again in the NRL. Those 6 fullbacks for me are clearly ahead of the rest and that's why I didn't even put anyone in my list after them because that is probably where Tomkins sits at the moment because he is a very good player. But I wouldn't have him above those 4 yet because of the comp he plays in but being and English international and has stood up on the international stage you can't ignore him and he is clearly better than the ones you listed

firechild

First Grade
If Stewart had spent his career at the Parraderps no-one would have heard of him.

What a load of crap. Stewart is a key reason why Manly have been so successful in recent seasons. Manly's record with and without him playing shows as much.

chrisD

Coach
He slots into the team as no-one they've replaced him with could, but it's a good team that lays everything on a platter for him. Take for instance how Whare looked better than decent at FB at Manly whereas it's been shown at Penrith he quite clearly is not a fullback. Manly make their fullbacks look better than they are.

At a shit team he's just another player with nothing special about him. Certainly can't create for himself like Slater, Inglis, Hayne, Barba or Bowen. Actually you'd back Dugan to find the line himself or put someone else over before you'd back Stewart. Running a hole off someone elses play is where he excels as much as or perhaps even more than those afore mentioned players, but that's not really special.

He also brings the ball back and attacks opponents general play kicks like a soft c**k.

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
His kick returns have been soft since his 2nd knee reconstruction (compounded by ongoing hamstring problems), no real surprises there. Whare played a total of 1 good game at fullback while at Manly. He was always a far better centre than fullback. Michael Robertson and Ben Farrar struggled at fullback. Both were competent but lacked the attacking flair of Stewart.

de$$ie

Juniors
He slots into the team as no-one they've replaced him with could, but it's a good team that lays everything on a platter for him. Take for instance how Whare looked better than decent at FB at Manly whereas it's been shown at Penrith he quite clearly is not a fullback. Manly make their fullbacks look better than they are.

At a shit team he's just another player with nothing special about him. Certainly can't create for himself like Slater, Inglis, Hayne, Barba or Bowen. Actually you'd back Dugan to find the line himself or put someone else over before you'd back Stewart. Running a hole off someone elses play is where he excels as much as or perhaps even more than those afore mentioned players, but that's not really special.

He also brings the ball back and attacks opponents general play kicks like a soft c**k.

More to footy than attacking football. His organisational and defense skills are supreme, compared to Dugan who can't even organise his life.

Bovrick

Juniors
I never said they were ahead of him. But people putting him so high up amongst hayne and barba is crazy too. To be honest there is a massive division between slater and inglis from maybe 4 other fullbacks in Stewart, hayne, barba and Bowen then there is a massive gap again in the NRL. Those 6 fullbacks for me are clearly ahead of the rest and that's why I didn't even put anyone in my list after them because that is probably where Tomkins sits at the moment because he is a very good player. But I wouldn't have him above those 4 yet because of the comp he plays in but being and English international and has stood up on the international stage you can't ignore him and he is clearly better than the ones you listed

Yeah I meant generally throughout this thread rather than you in particular.

But yeah, Inglis and Slater are in a class of their own still.

Hayne and Barba have shown themselves to be special at times, but it's hard to tell with Hayne because he plays for a joke of a team, and Barba has only shown the one year of class.

I watch a lot of NRL and ESL, and to be honest I don't see much special about Stewart or Bowen; especially now they've aged.

natheel

Coach
Yeah I meant generally throughout this thread rather than you in particular.

But yeah, Inglis and Slater are in a class of their own still.

Hayne and Barba have shown themselves to be special at times, but it's hard to tell with Hayne because he plays for a joke of a team, and Barba has only shown the one year of class.

I watch a lot of NRL and ESL, and to be honest I don't see much special about Stewart or Bowen; especially now they've aged.

I rate Bowen because for the size of him he has played very well at fullback when most guys at that position are towering over him.

But agree to an extent on hayne he still contributes so much to parra. His assists and metres gained and kick return metres are still up there whole he is in a struggling team which just shows how important he is to a team. Manlys record without Stewart also speaks for itself but like billy he also has guys around him tht he feeds off. But slater and inglis are in a class of their own