What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worse Dragons Side Ever!

twinkletoes

Juniors
The mess with Hunt is not sorted until we know which club he is going to ( and we should stipulate it is not a Sydney club) and what players we get in exchange...we can't just say see you later Ben...that would be utterly stupid..I do have confidence in how Flanaghan will handle this situation (if it was Haran I would be despairing)

gregstar

Referee
I always thought that the worst Saints team in my time was under supercoach Young 89-90.

However to give them credit - they f*cking tried.

There were signs under Jowls & certainly under handsome Hook that we'd arrive at where we are today.
The worst effort I've seen was under Jowls in '18 when the Canterbury Tards gave us a towelling at Kogarah.

Where we are at today has been a decade in the making.
And it will probably take half a decade to get out of it.
But there's no sign of change where it's actually required - Board level.
The downey years of 87-90 now look magnificent by comparison.

Dragon David

First Grade
Well it is evident that our current squad of players are just not up to scratch for this year seeing that we have meandered down to the bottom rung of the ladder. A few left us and a few came to us for this year (not bothered to research them all) but basically we have the same. One that stands out that I know would have made a big difference for us is the loss of Cody Ramsey for which we have not been able to get a replacement for.

In my opinion our 2023 season was destined to fall flat because we had the same coach that did not set in place anything constructive in the previous 2 years that could get us the tight wins and had no knowledge on how to manage the squad better and our Board made the terrible mistake of getting his signature to coach us this year when they could obviously see that he wasn't the coach that would provide success but thought it was simpler to re-sign him rather than terminate him last year.

There has been a lot of unrest at the club. It is obvious now and poor attitudes and a drop in desire has firmly set its way into the playing squad and this bad loss against the Warriors will set this trend for the rest of this year in my opinion.

While I don't agree with what Hunt has done, I can understand why he is doing it - liken it to self preservation for one thing. There have been too many f**k ups at the Dragons which we all know has happened during Hooks time. Somehow I think that we would have been in a better position if Mary was retained (heaven forbid). Hunt was a key player under Hook's watch and they would have grown close and each helped one another out with how things should be run. So Hunt was in the mix to get us down to this level and now he wants out.

I'm banking on him continuing to be the jinx of his next NRL club. He has not been the jinx of SOO games that is for sure but in NRL he hasn't really achieved much.

The disharmony at the club has been ongoing for quite a while now. It has to be addressed and the players need to feel that the future will be much better for them all and they have to be re-united somehow. Flanagan isn't a miracle worker but I am hoping he can do the right thing for the players to feel that they want to play great footy. A big job.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Jack played himself to a physical standstill on Friday night even when the game was clearly gone. Right now he’s the obvious choice for captain once *unt has gone.

I can’t take another performance like we put up against the Warriors, I only hope the club gives *unt his release on Monday, every dollar that traitor gets paid from now on is a complete waste of no money.

getsmarty

Immortal
I always thought that the worst Saints team in my time was under supercoach Young 89-90.

However to give them credit - they f*cking tried.

There were signs under Jowls & certainly under handsome Hook that we'd arrive at where we are today.
The worst effort I've seen was under Jowls in '18 when the Canterbury Tards gave us a towelling at Kogarah.

Where we are at today has been a decade in the making.
And it will probably take half a decade to get out of it.
But there's no sign of change where it's actually required - Board level.
The downey years of 87-90 now look magnificent by comparison.

Well said... this mess wasn't created overnight...lets all be patient with flanno...

I believe he has the credentials to turn things around if not impeded by others..

Unfortunately it will take time.

Well said... this mess wasn't created overnight...lets all be patient with flanno...

I believe he has the credentials to turn things around if not impeded by others..

Unfortunately it will take time.
A coach cannot be successful unless he has the cattle to work with. Sure a quality coach will turn and ordinary player into a good one occasionally, but there are player weaknesses all over the field in the squad as it is. Penrith had an excellent development program going on for some years and it certainly shows. Poor management, recruitment, lower grade development, and questionable coaching have left things as they are now. It will be a long road back and Flannagan is going to have his work cut out.

getsmarty

Immortal
A coach cannot be successful unless he has the cattle to work with. Sure a quality coach will turn and ordinary player into a good one occasionally, but there are player weaknesses all over the field in the squad as it is. Penrith had an excellent development program going on for some years and it certainly shows. Poor management, recruitment, lower grade development, and questionable coaching have left things as they are now. It will be a long road back and Flannagan is going to have his work cut out.

Exactly what I alluded to... it will be a tough road back...more than likely Years to undo the damage.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
I said it prior - Flanno will recruit heavily
Have to keep Couchman twins they will be long term quality forwards
I would also keep Sloan, he needs to put on 5 kgs though for his own confidence in defence.
Lawrie would be in a prop rotation
Su’A can play so would keep
Lots of room for changes elsewhere
We really need some speed on the edges as we always look slow and we need done size in the forwards as we have one of the smallest packs in the comp

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Well it is evident that our current squad of players are just not up to scratch for this year seeing that we have meandered down to the bottom rung of the ladder. A few left us and a few came to us for this year (not bothered to research them all) but basically we have the same. One that stands out that I know would have made a big difference for us is the loss of Cody Ramsey for which we have not been able to get a replacement for.

In my opinion our 2023 season was destined to fall flat because we had the same coach that did not set in place anything constructive in the previous 2 years that could get us the tight wins and had no knowledge on how to manage the squad better and our Board made the terrible mistake of getting his signature to coach us this year when they could obviously see that he wasn't the coach that would provide success but thought it was simpler to re-sign him rather than terminate him last year.

There has been a lot of unrest at the club. It is obvious now and poor attitudes and a drop in desire has firmly set its way into the playing squad and this bad loss against the Warriors will set this trend for the rest of this year in my opinion.

While I don't agree with what Hunt has done, I can understand why he is doing it - liken it to self preservation for one thing. There have been too many f**k ups at the Dragons which we all know has happened during Hooks time. Somehow I think that we would have been in a better position if Mary was retained (heaven forbid). Hunt was a key player under Hook's watch and they would have grown close and each helped one another out with how things should be run. So Hunt was in the mix to get us down to this level and now he wants out.

I'm banking on him continuing to be the jinx of his next NRL club. He has not been the jinx of SOO games that is for sure but in NRL he hasn't really achieved much.

The disharmony at the club has been ongoing for quite a while now. It has to be addressed and the players need to feel that the future will be much better for them all and they have to be re-united somehow. Flanagan isn't a miracle worker but I am hoping he can do the right thing for the players to feel that they want to play great footy. A big job.
All the big talk about dynamic new people such as Nathan Brown and Shane Richardson coming on board in recruitment and pathways when Ryles was in negotiations has predictably come to nought. You can always rely on the Dragons to overpromise and underdeliver. I can't believe Flanno can do everything as some are suggesting- particularly as he's got multiple media jobs in addition to his Manly role and, as I understand it, he's committed until November. While we have lightweights like Haran as Director of Football, we will never climb out of the swamp.

thebigredv

First Grade
If this crop of players had Bennett and Bellamy in the coach's box they'd still lose each week.
Flanagan is screwed unless we can have one heck of an off season in recruitment. Really, though, who wants to come and play for the team coming last?

Unfortunately i have to agree. I dont think ive ever seen one of our teams with so little knowledge of how to play the game and just be consistently be so dumb. Im so tempted to drive to Wollongong this week to their training so i can yell shit at all of them -except JDB. I really hope there were enough Dragons supporters there to boo them off and particularly Hunt. What apathetic waste of money he is. I just hope Carr is brave enough the drop half the team. But we already know he wont

Dragon David

First Grade
Unfortunately i have to agree. I dont think ive ever seen one of our teams with so little knowledge of how to play the game and just be consistently be so dumb. Im so tempted to drive to Wollongong this week to their training so i can yell shit at all of them -except JDB. I really hope there were enough Dragons supporters there to boo them off and particularly Hunt. What apathetic waste of money he is. I just hope Carr is brave enough the drop half the team. But we already know he wont
When we end up holding the wooden spoon in late September 2023, our joint venture club will have reached the rock bottom it ever has in this modern day. The worst year by a long shot. Joint ventures simply do not work. The Tigers won the spoon last year and now it is our turn this year. Wooden Spooner Joint Venture Clubs one after the other who would have bet on this a few years ago?

If this trend continues with these two clubs, why have them in the competition?