What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worse Dragons Side Ever!

TruSaint

Referee
The melodrama about the wooden spoon is a bit dramatic; its not like there is relegation and real consequences for getting it. And it will be our first. The management of the club has been always been poor and in decline; early on during the joint venture we were helped by a fairly large group of talented juniors, then we had Bennett and some smart immediate term recruitment. But coaching, quality juniors and smart recruitment are things we have lacked over the past 10 years, so the poor management of the club cannot be swept under the rug.

It ain't about the spoon mate.

Most us here have seen this coming.

In the 90's we didn't win a title, yet we competed in 4 GF's. I wouldn't miss a game ( home or away), as we stood for something. I would plan weekends based on where Saints were playing. Financially, I backed the Club as I could identify with what it meant to be a Dragons fan.

I could go on, but i hope you get the drift.

My club doesn't look like St George and the game barely looks like rugby league.

getsmarty

Immortal

In the 90's we didn't win a title, yet we competed in 4 GF's. I wouldn't miss a game ( home or away), as we stood for something. I would plan weekends based on where Saints were playing. Financially, I backed the Club as I could identify with what it meant to be a Dragons fan.

My club doesn't look like St George and the game barely looks like rugby league.

Well stated @TruSaint

Spot on- youve summed it up perfectly. Its not how I remember it either

Gareth67

First Grade
The joint venture was and is a recipe for disaster. At least Manly were able to divorce North Sydney ( nothing against the Bears I always like them ) .

However in the Dragon and Steeler amalgamation both are still at loggerheads with one another and to make matters worse we have the WIN corporation who seem to be on a path of their own - and it has nothing to do with the success of the Dragons as a rugby league team .

As others have said , the spoon was always on the horizon due to the absolute incompetence of the St.George Illawarra board , well now it’s all but here , a very sad reflection on those who control the decision making of the Big Red V .

Last edited:

smi962

First Grade

Of course, the club has been on a slow decline for a long time, since the 80s-90s, off the field relative to opposition clubs. We have competed with inferior resources due to good recruitment and coaching in times like the 90s. It wasn’t because the club was well run above the footy department.

All I am saying is that it’s not the end of the world, i just think if we get a talented young batch of juniors to come through, fix current recruitment and finally find a decent coach then things will turn around in a few yrs. I dont believe we are destined to be the perrenial nrl whipping boys until the end of time like the current mood suggests.

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The joint venture was and is a recipe for disaster. At least Manly were able to divorce North Sydney ( nothing against the Bears I always like them ) .

However in the Dragon and Steeler amalgamation both are still at loggerheads with one another and to make matters worse we have the WIN corporation who seem to be on a path of their own - and it has nothing to do with the success of the Dragons as a rugby league team .

As others have said , the spoon was always on the horizon due to the absolute incompetence of the St.George Illawarra board , well now it’s all but here , a very sad reflection on those who control the decision making of the Big Red V .
Amen to all that Gaz- as I have observed in the past, this Board could teach the old Soviet Politburo a thing or two about the acquisition and retention of power without accountability. As shareholders (members) of this rabble, we should be entitled to demand change to the current structure so that we have some say in who is on the Board and making decisions. As you say, WIN, a media organisation, without football experience and Lancaster in particular is the face of this increasingly embarrassing farce without an end in sight.

TruSaint

Referee
Of course, the club has been on a slow decline for a long time, since the 80s-90s, off the field relative to opposition clubs. We have competed with inferior resources due to good recruitment and coaching in times like the 90s. It wasn’t because the club was well run above the footy department.

All I am saying is that it’s not the end of the world, i just think if we get a talented young batch of juniors to come through, fix current recruitment and finally find a decent coach then things will turn around in a few yrs. I dont believe we are destined to be the perrenial nrl whipping boys until the end of time like the current mood suggests.

Statiscally, this period is worst in memory.

We all know how the 50's and 60's went.
in the 70's we won 2 comps.
In the 80's we lost a GF that we should have won.
In the 90's we were at the GF again 4 times.
Take out Bennetts intervention in 2010, its ugly reading.

No, its no the world ending, but from a Saints perspective it's pathetic.
When we just accept a poor run of say a few seasons, then i get it.
We are breaking all the wrong records. Losing to the Sharks i think now is 9 straight. Our fierce rival ?

Leaking 100 points in 2 games?

Gareth67

First Grade
Amen to all that Gaz- as I have observed in the past, this Board could teach the old Soviet Politburo a thing or two about the acquisition and retention of power without accountability. As shareholders (members) of this rabble, we should be entitled to demand change to the current structure so that we have some say in who is on the Board and making decisions. As you say, WIN, a media organisation, without football experience and Lancaster in particular is the face of this increasingly embarrassing farce without an end in sight.
Just so R&w4evr . The number of members over the last decade that have seen the consequences of the board’s decisions is amazing .

Yet still the Dragon hierarchy continue on its merry way regardless. It’s almost as if they have a death wish , most unfortunately the St.George Illawarra teams premiership chances declines further each season as a result .

Simply unbelievable .

dannyt

Coach
Statiscally, this period is worst in memory.

We all know how the 50's and 60's went.
in the 70's we won 2 comps.
In the 80's we lost a GF that we should have won.
In the 90's we were at the GF again 4 times.
Take out Bennetts intervention in 2010, its ugly reading.

No, its no the world ending, but from a Saints perspective it's pathetic.
When we just accept a poor run of say a few seasons, then i get it.
We are breaking all the wrong records. Losing to the Sharks i think now is 9 straight. Our fierce rival ?

Leaking 100 points in 2 games?
Agree this is the worst period in living memory. We appear to be reaping the rewards of some terrible coaching and shocking retention. The board has been dysfunctional for a long time, suggesting the coaching and retention is the major factor in our current position. Hopefully Flanno can do something in 2024. I'm going to try and get through 2023 and see how it goes from next year.

Agree this is the worst period in living memory. We appear to be reaping the rewards of some terrible coaching and shocking retention. The board has been dysfunctional for a long time, suggesting the coaching and retention is the major factor in our current position. Hopefully Flanno can do something in 2024. I'm going to try and get through 2023 and see how it goes from next year.
Last two fixtures 40 and 50 odd point losses, its the pits, but poor old Wests had 70 to zero scoreboard last night and we lost to them. It seems like the premier division is split by the haves and have nots. The club cannot continue to bask in ancient achievements, but must get into making the club a force again. Penrith provided a blueprint.