What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Conditions As A Fan

Ron Jeremy

Coach
At least 15 years ago as a kid, when I went and saw St George play Norths at Kogarah Oval. It was at night, blowing an absolute gale, freezing cold, and sheet rain that fell sideways for all 3 grades. And I think Norths won about 9-4, with Jason Taylor kicking a field goal to seal the game. Not a good day

i was at that game, with some Norths mates, in 93 i think, Norths won 8-2 i think, it wasn't that bad? :? if that's the worse you've been too then you're quite fortunate:lol:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Worst game i've been too was in 93 at Parra stadium against the Sharks ( Sharks won i think 12-8 ) it pissed down all day, got worse in the first half, then it stopped, the sun broke through briefly as Parra came back to be right in it, then it got clouding again and Sharks won - that has always been the game that stands out for me, was on the hill, froze to death, got home was sick with the flu for a week.

boxa777

Coach
Been to a few over the years as a kid especially.. Some f**kn shockers hahah..

Scotty Gourley, that Nths game at Kogarah years ago i remember also. Think we were bout ten at the time and i had been waiting for that game for weeks. Counting down days as a little dumb prick does. My mate's dad dropped us off and then the downpour started. Horrendous conditions so his old man comes back and gets us before the game started and takes us home. I was f**kn shattered.

And another Norths game at Nth Syd Oval this time. A few of us were pretty young and needed to get public transport from Kogarah to Nth Sydney to get to the game. We were carryin a massive wooden pole onto sydney buses and signs as well and it was really hard gettin all the sh*t on. Then the game, it was pissin down and we lost 42-0. Had to walk out carrrying all the flags and poles and back on the buses getting abused hurled on us and soaked at the same time.

But without doubt the worst conditions was at Bruce one year.. Pretty much the rain came down horizontal all match. Have memories of Rich Gaye is God performing everywhere we go as we all caught pneumonia.

Great times.

Dutchy

Immortal
2009 - Bulldogs v Manly @ ANZ. I've been to plenty of games at ANZ, probably close to 100... but I can't remember the wind whipping the rain as far as the back row of the main level. We started the night near the sideline before the storm came through, but then moved to the very back row of the section against the steel fencing, and the wind and rain still found its way to the top. A wide shot of the stands that is a sight to be seen, fans packed into the very top five or six rows of every bay.

My crew stayed out in the weather :lol:

LeagueNut

First Grade
Warriors vs Tigers, Mt Smart, 2005.

It was blue sky when we arrived - then it started getting a bit cloudy - then we heard this horrendous noise and couldn't figure out what it was ... it turned out to be the rain hitting the roof on the opposite grandstand. Ten seconds later we were soaked.

We couldn't see across the ground once it hit - it was a bloody monsoon.

Mong

Post Whore
would love to see rugby league played in the snow,so if your keen vote for canberra vs wests game back in 2000 on foxsports chooseday night football.

I have a copy of the reserve grade game from that day, it seems to be much worse than the 1st grade game. I am glad i wasn't actaully there watching it.

reptar

Juniors
I can't remember the exact game (if I went through my collection of tickets I'd probably find it, it'd be the ticket that's still frozen stiff) but there was a Friday night game early 90s Raiders vs Norths at Bruce. Almost got frostbite and that was wearing inner and outer gloves - it also rained and I swear I could almost see icicles forming off the roof of the Meninga stand. The Raiders won, which made the whole experience worth it, but I still have nightmares of my mate's brother's hands turning blue.

Knights Vs Tigers, circa 1999-2000, at Leichhardt Oval. It rained all week before the game, and smashed down all game day. The ground was underwater, and inches deep in parts. I remember two incidents from the day in particular:

1. Andrew Johns winning the toss and saying "we'll run to the deep end".

2. Brett Grogan scoring a try where he dived from 5 metres out, only to slide through the in-goal and smash into the fence at the back of the ground.

yobbo84

Coach
2007 Rabbitohs v Panthers at Telstra... I swear I thought I was going to die driving to the game. Got drenched head-to-toe in the 50m walk from the car park to the ground. I've never seen rain that heavy in my life.

jpaciocco91

Juniors
2007 Rabbitohs v Panthers at Telstra... I swear I thought I was going to die driving to the game. Got drenched head-to-toe in the 50m walk from the car park to the ground. I've never seen rain that heavy in my life.

If I can remember only 5,000 people showed up as well.

For me, I haven't been to that many games in bad conditions, but the Dragons vs Bulldogs game in July '07 was f**king cold as, especially where I sat on the "left wing". And at the '09 Dragons vs Eels semi a month ago it was about 33 degrees, and I sat through the entire toyota cup game and the first grade one. About 4 hours straight in 33-35 degree heat. Now that's :crazy:

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Gold Coast vs North Queensland, Carrara Stadium 2007. It looked like it was going to be a dry evening on the train down, but then during the game it started to PISS down with no relief whatsoever. It was like Mother Nature had drunk a 30 pack of Tooheys New cans the night before and was only now relieving herself.

I've stood in the rain before, but it got to the point where I ended up going and standing under an umbrella with this bloke in a Maroons jersey. I was wearing my Blues jersey, his mates all thought it was a crack- up and were taking photos.

After the game I walked through the car-park- or more like- negotiated my way through a field of mud, soaking wet and trying to stay as clean as possible. The one shining light was that an old mate of mine lived just up the hill, so I called him up, went over to his place and had one of the best hot showers I've ever had, while my sodden clothes hung over his bar heater. When I caught the last train back to Brisbane later that night, I was actually dry again!

Thank f**k the Titans moved to Robina!

I was at this one, what made it worse is that i was wearing a howdy hat, when those things get wet they turn into a giant sponge and is like having a 10kg dumbell resting on your head.

Sugar

Bench
The Souths V Penrith game at anz last year looked like fun for the fans in cyclonic conditions.
Has a game ever been called off due to excesssive heat conditions?

Hindyscrack

Bench
Gold Coast vs North Queensland, Carrara Stadium 2007. It looked like it was going to be a dry evening on the train down, but then during the game it started to PISS down with no relief whatsoever. It was like Mother Nature had drunk a 30 pack of Tooheys New cans the night before and was only now relieving herself.

I've stood in the rain before, but it got to the point where I ended up going and standing under an umbrella with this bloke in a Maroons jersey. I was wearing my Blues jersey, his mates all thought it was a crack- up and were taking photos.

After the game I walked through the car-park- or more like- negotiated my way through a field of mud, soaking wet and trying to stay as clean as possible. The one shining light was that an old mate of mine lived just up the hill, so I called him up, went over to his place and had one of the best hot showers I've ever had, while my sodden clothes hung over his bar heater. When I caught the last train back to Brisbane later that night, I was actually dry again!

Thank f**k the Titans moved to Robina!

wow... that game wasnt that bad at all

1990 NZ VS Australia at athletic park, Wellington.

I was 9 years old.
The heavens opened up and torrential rain began to fall on me. I only had a pretty thin windbreaker on at the time.

I remember my dad asking me every 5 minutes..."Are you ok"?

and me nodding yes...thinking "F*CK YES I AM, that's Laurie Daley & Mal Meninga running around out there!!!"

Memories.

Joker's Wild

Coach
2007: Titans v Knights @ Carrara

There was a light drizzle falling and my wife bitched and moaned the whole game about how her hair was getting wet.

Farkin terrible conditions to watch footy in

Big Time

Juniors
When it comes to games I've been to, 4 stand out in my mind.

2006 - Dragons v Eels @ Kogarah.

It pissed down, and if the rain was any colder it would've been hail. FREEZING night, and a dour contest to boot. The place only had 8-9k in it at the time but boy it went off when the winning field goal and then try was scored.

2009 - Bulldogs v Manly @ ANZ. I've been to plenty of games at ANZ, probably close to 100... but I can't remember the wind whipping the rain as far as the back row of the main level. We started the night near the sideline before the storm came through, but then moved to the very back row of the section against the steel fencing, and the wind and rain still found its way to the top. A wide shot of the stands that is a sight to be seen, fans packed into the very top five or six rows of every bay.

2006 semi - Dogs v Canberra @ ANZ. No rain all day from memory, but overcast. Then at the 8:30 kickoff, it began pelting. I was only wearing a jersey, so I went to the merch stand and they had no spray jackets left. I bought a blanket instead and huddled under it for the first 40. The players went off for halftime, and the rain abated. But, lo and behold, it resumed in full force when we ran out for the second half. Insane. Of course, it stopped after fulltime and was dry again :x

2009 - Knights/Broncos @ EAS. The rain was relatively brief but it was heavy and the accompanying storm which extended halftime to 35 minutes was insane. Was standing right near the pole that got struck. Needed a change of undies after that one :lol: