What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Conditions As A Fan

Dutchy

Immortal
2007: Titans v Knights @ Carrara

There was a light drizzle falling and my wife bitched and moaned the whole game about how her hair was getting wet.

Farkin terrible conditions to watch footy in

Taking a female to the footy in the first place was a rookie mistake..

sting

Bench
i was at that game, with some Norths mates, in 93 i think, Norths won 8-2 i think, it wasn't that bad? :? if that's the worse you've been too then you're quite fortunate:lol:

remember watching that on tv at home cause it was too sh*t to go. i think it ended up 9-2?

Been to a few over the years as a kid especially.. Some f**kn shockers hahah..

And another Norths game at Nth Syd Oval this time. A few of us were pretty young and needed to get public transport from Kogarah to Nth Sydney to get to the game. We were carryin a massive wooden pole onto sydney buses and signs as well and it was really hard gettin all the sh*t on. Then the game, it was pissin down and we lost 42-0. Had to walk out carrrying all the flags and poles and back on the buses getting abused hurled on us and soaked at the same time.

i remember that game cause it was my birthday. terrible day, don't actually remember the weather though..

roopy

Referee
I've seen pictures of the Russians playing in 6 inches of snow, and they say that is good because the snow cushions them from the impact of hitting the frozen solid ground.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Manly V Souths 2004 @ Brookvale.

Would have been June/July - Pissing down and the coldest I've been ever in Australia...

We lost as well.:x

wally80

Juniors
Penrith vs Nth Qld at DFS (can't remember what year) - 5.30 game - was about 40 degrees, sat in the Eastern stand, went home looking like a tomato.

Hanscholo

Bench
Two Souths vs Newcastle games...one in Newy, one in Sydney. The sydney game had so much rain prior to kick off that they seriously considered cancelling it, there was 3-4 inches of standing water all over the field, all game. The other in newcastle was a torrential downpour that started about 20 mins prior to kick off and just kept getting worse as the game wore on, with a very strong southerly blowing to boot. There were about 500 people on the hill that day, which in those days was highly irregular in newcastle, you normally couldnt even see the grass.

I also recall being at a SOO where geyer pushes lewis at half time and O'Connor converts from the sideline....what a cold horrible wet night, we were totally soaked, it was about 4 degrees and we had to drive back to newcastle in a coach with the windows stuck open. omfg.

Last edited:

Chook Norris

First Grade
While its not an NRL game, but a union one, I thought the 2006 Super 14 final was pretty funny. Basically it was so foggy that the crowd could hardly see the game.

File:Super14_Final.JPG
File:Super14_Final.JPG

(and plenty of people on this forum would argue that this actually improved the experience for those at the ground or watching on TV). :lol:

i remember Matty Johns (on the Roast) saying that he played in similar conditions previously. He recounted how, since it was so foggy, the right winger would run over to the left winger and have a chat for a bit.. without anyone noticing :lol:

--

bad condition?? Broncos v Dogs @ Suncorp.. the Swine Flu Game :crazy:

saint_girl

Juniors
Saints v Parramatta, Kogarah Oval, 2006. Final Score, 8-1 (Should've been 2-1)

Yeah, same for me. Nothing like buying a beer and it constantly getting refilled by rain.

Was a great game though and was worth the sick days I had to have off work the following week :lol:

Chook Norris

First Grade
that 8-1 game was horrendous.. :lol:

I do remember the commentators afterwards saying "historic match" .. would've been awesome if the score was 2-1, i could've sworn it was a football(soccer) match:crazy:

Joker's Wild

Coach
I was at that game too. Nothing compared to the one I mentioned. The rain just poured down, unrelenting, the sort where you keep thinking that any moment now it will ease into light rain, but it just refuses to stop.

The weather wasnt the issue mate ;-)

LazyDreamer

Bench
I have a copy of the reserve grade game from that day, it seems to be much worse than the 1st grade game. I am glad i wasn't actaully there watching it.

Can't believe Raiders v Tigers hasn't scored any votes. Although there were sod-all people there I guess. The lasck of numbers was a blessing in disguise, as it resulted in the doors to the corporate areas being thrown open to the few of us there. Thus, we were warm & dry. Yee-haw!

beave

Coach
Raiders vs Cowboys Canberra in 2000. Freezing night in the middle of winter and it was pi$$ing down with rain all arvo/night. Dire game as well. The Cowboys players were getting cramps constantly when they got tackled on the ground, I think it might have been to them not being used to such cold conditions.

Cowboys vs Warriors Semi Final 2007 DFS, probably the hottest day of football I have ever experienced, there was no wind whatsoever and the humidity was through the roof, I think it was about 35c but it felt about 45c. I felt sorry for the Warriors players in their black jerseys that day....................

Bazal

Post Whore
2006 Dragons Eels at Kogarah...cold, belting down all night, there was an inch of water at our feet, and we lost.

2004 (???) Raiders Eels at Bruce...it wasn't wet, but there was a bitter southerly and clear skies...the basic conditions for the coldest weather in the country. It literally got to below -10 or so with the wind chill. And we got done by 50.

Moffo

Referee
Canterbury's last home game at Belmore back in 1999 against Melbourne.

The game was played underwater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ7nvvOUHHQ

good call, remember goiong to that game. i miss belmore...never forget some nights at that ground....some low lights as well, such as the night when there was a mini riot on the hill and the cops were chasing people everywhere haha...think that was in the super league year against penrith

the only one that i could think of that was worse was norths vs the dogs in 1998 at NSO. got there late, had to stand at the back and the water was ankle deep...killer atmosphere but was sick for a week after it

Tom Shines

First Grade
A trial between Tigers and Manly at Leichhardt circa 2004. Great day at the start, so we were all in shirts and shorts.

Then a shocking summer storm. Torrential rain and blowing a gale that almost removed the shutters from the bar on the hill... we took refuge in the old scoreboard.

Patsy

Juniors
we lived in canberra for a ferw years and i remember the game v tigers in the snow but there was another v newcastle and i can't remember ever being colder than that day.