What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Conditions As A Fan

Peppers

Juniors
When it comes to games I've been to, 4 stand out in my mind.

2006 - Dragons v Eels @ Kogarah.

It pissed down, and if the rain was any colder it would've been hail. FREEZING night, and a dour contest to boot. The place only had 8-9k in it at the time but boy it went off when the winning field goal and then try was scored.

2009 - Bulldogs v Manly @ ANZ. I've been to plenty of games at ANZ, probably close to 100... but I can't remember the wind whipping the rain as far as the back row of the main level. We started the night near the sideline before the storm came through, but then moved to the very back row of the section against the steel fencing, and the wind and rain still found its way to the top. A wide shot of the stands that is a sight to be seen, fans packed into the very top five or six rows of every bay.

2006 semi - Dogs v Canberra @ ANZ. No rain all day from memory, but overcast. Then at the 8:30 kickoff, it began pelting. I was only wearing a jersey, so I went to the merch stand and they had no spray jackets left. I bought a blanket instead and huddled under it for the first 40. The players went off for halftime, and the rain abated. But, lo and behold, it resumed in full force when we ran out for the second half. Insane. Of course, it stopped after fulltime and was dry again :x

2009 - Knights/Broncos @ EAS. The rain was relatively brief but it was heavy and the accompanying storm which extended halftime to 35 minutes was insane. Was standing right near the pole that got struck. Needed a change of undies after that one :lol:

RedV6

Juniors
yeah kogarah in 06 vs parra. pissing down all game. saints ended up winning 8-1

Game should have finished 2-1 that was a fair reflection of how bad it was that night. It was so horrible I caught the bus from the club to the ground to try and stay warm and dry.......

Perth Red

Post Whore
Remember a game back in the days of winter rugby over in the UK when it started raining, then sleeting, then snowing, then it got so cold my damp jeans actually froze solid! Couldn't feel my feet for hours!

Also remember a cup final when the snow was so bad they had to use an orange ball!

Dutchy

Immortal
When it comes to games I've been to, 4 stand out in my mind.

2006 - Dragons v Eels @ Kogarah.

It pissed down, and if the rain was any colder it would've been hail. FREEZING night, and a dour contest to boot. The place only had 8-9k in it at the time but boy it went off when the winning field goal and then try was scored.

2009 - Bulldogs v Manly @ ANZ. I've been to plenty of games at ANZ, probably close to 100... but I can't remember the wind whipping the rain as far as the back row of the main level. We started the night near the sideline before the storm came through, but then moved to the very back row of the section against the steel fencing, and the wind and rain still found its way to the top. A wide shot of the stands that is a sight to be seen, fans packed into the very top five or six rows of every bay.

2006 semi - Dogs v Canberra @ ANZ. No rain all day from memory, but overcast. Then at the 8:30 kickoff, it began pelting. I was only wearing a jersey, so I went to the merch stand and they had no spray jackets left. I bought a blanket instead and huddled under it for the first 40. The players went off for halftime, and the rain abated. But, lo and behold, it resumed in full force when we ran out for the second half. Insane. Of course, it stopped after fulltime and was dry again :x

2009 - Knights/Broncos @ EAS. The rain was relatively brief but it was heavy and the accompanying storm which extended halftime to 35 minutes was insane. Was standing right near the pole that got struck. Needed a change of undies after that one :lol:

LESStar58

Referee
At the 1996 GF my uncle and I got pelted with rain at the SFS. We were in the front rows that weren't undercover and my clothes got soaked through so badly it felt like I'd been buried up to my waist in snow!

IanG

Coach
Knights v Broncos this year. Then again I'd probably say that cuz of my fear of lightning.

Storm v Raiders at Olympic Park in 99...it was a Saturday night and about 2 degrees and really frosty.

Vainikolo was playing for the Raiders and slid in for a try and did not get up...the trainer came running over and tipped hot water down his shorts to heat up Volcano's nads as he could not feel them !!.

It was so cold that we got stuck into the whisky and the rest was history...

Knightmare

Coach
And another Norths game at Nth Syd Oval this time. A few of us were pretty young and needed to get public transport from Kogarah to Nth Sydney to get to the game. We were carryin a massive wooden pole onto sydney buses and signs as well and it was really hard gettin all the sh*t on. Then the game, it was pissin down and we lost 42-0. Had to walk out carrrying all the flags and poles and back on the buses getting abused hurled on us and soaked at the same time.

Obviously it's history now, but why didn't you guys get the train instead? Kogarah to Central, change at Central for North Sydney. Would've been plenty more room to put your signs and stuff!

Knightmare

Coach
2007: Titans v Knights @ Carrara

There was a light drizzle falling and my wife bitched and moaned the whole game about how her hair was getting wet.

Farkin terrible conditions to watch footy in

I was at that game too. Nothing compared to the one I mentioned. The rain just poured down, unrelenting, the sort where you keep thinking that any moment now it will ease into light rain, but it just refuses to stop.

St George Illawarra vs NZ in 2005 i think, not wet but my god the hill at WIN stadium was f**king freezing, dont know if i have ever been that cold

I think it was the same year against the Cowboys on a Saturday night. Sitting in the southern stand, same thing... bitterly cold. The slight breeze just went straight through you, couldn't keep warm. Big wind chill factor.