What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Game i Have ever witnessed

fish eel

Immortal
to be fair though, not many had a problem with Hagan when we lost that prelim final to melbourne

Stagger eel

Staff member
I assume you mean they weren't considering else, not that there weren't any other potential candidates... Jason Taylor and several others were certainly available at the time

that's right, I even heard that JT put 14 page documant forward to Fitzy but apparently didn't even land an interview.

mickdo

Coach
Just a question on last night's game... it was hard to tell from the big screen, but what was everyone's opinion on the decision on Reddy's No Try in the corner? I thought the NRL had said this year that as long as you had a finger on the ball the moment it contacted the ground it would be a try?

bartman

Immortal
Oh I think they're putting in - I just dont think they're up to it.

Maybe 2 or 3 players aside, our squad is either past their best or still to show they're up to first grade.
I don't think we'd be so upset if we knew they were giving it their all. But for a few years now the frustration has been that we have a squad of players who on their day have shown they are capable of champion efforts, but who choose to have their day a lot less often than less heralded players from other clubs.

Players we know can play extremely well, but aren't so far this year:
Inu
Hayne
Mateo

Players that can hold their heads high (consistent first grade standard) this year:
Hindy
Fuifui
Reddy
Joe G
Kris Keating
Lowrie
Wright

Players that aren't and won't be world beaters (but that's OK if the rest of your squad is firing):
Burt
Grothe
Smith
Finch (but with no other halves option alongside him)
Cayless (these days, capable of more though)
Matt Keating
Hauraki
Mannah
Cordoba

... actually yeah, you may have a point. We have too much of our salary tied up in guys that aren't performing at the comensurate level (Cayless, Finch, Inu, Hayne, Mateo). As usual, Hindy is the only bigger ticket salary who is living up to the billing.

bartman

Immortal
Just a question on last night's game... it was hard to tell from the big screen, but what was everyone's opinion on the decision on Reddy's No Try in the corner? I thought the NRL had said this year that as long as you had a finger on the ball the moment it contacted the ground it would be a try?
Watching on TV, and knowing we managed 6 points, when I saw that scored, I actually assumed it was our try, and left the room for a wee break. Was perplexed to return and the score hadn't changed...

fish eel

Immortal
See Bart, even on that list, the group of players you named under hold their head high, consistent first grade standard, there's a few there that are really yet to show they are first graders, and a couple who, while they can hold their head high (Hindy and Joey G), their best is in the past....

On Inu, the cold hard reality is that he has had one great half a year back in 07 and done not much since.....

bartman

Immortal
Yeah. But we're never going to have a team entirely comprised on guys in their prime, or developing up to it.

Hindy and Joe G have had better days (as their rep careers attest) but without them on the park, we're a lot weaker team as a result.

Wright etc are building up to their best, you get the sense that their best is in front of them and they are hungry, and they are good types to have in the squad.

Inu, Cayless, Finch, Hayne, and to some extent Mateo this year, you sense they aren't hungry... having sealed healthy contracts - perhaps contracts they know they have no hope of topping next time, they've clocked off and don't have the passion week-to-week. Save it up for the glory big games etc etc.

Making these highly paid clowns mix with their regular fans (and not just the type that only want their autographs, or to be e-friends or rela life buddies) on a weekly basis might help them to realise they should be doing more than cashing cheques.

Were you at the after match function last year? The looks on first grade's faces gave it away - they did NOT want to be there. But U20s were really happy to be in front of the fans, being recognised and mingling. To give Hagan credit, he mingled and talked to (disgruntled) fans more than the first grade players did.

Disappointing that attitude has resurfaced in a new year, under a new coach... I'd be happy cutting any of the five players I've mentioned loose and using their salary on two younger less talented but hungrier players. Mateo would be the one I regret losing most, but after a good season from him last year, I have no idea why he's not following up with similar involvement, other than DAs instructions.

TheRam

Coach

Watching it live at the game and on the big screen there, I thought it was a try. But later when I watched it again at home, oh the pain, and slowing it down a few times it does seem to be the right call. He does lose it and you can not see him touch the ball again before it hits the ground. In a nutshell I think it was the right call.

TheRam

Coach
Can anyone here tell us who is off contract at the end of this season please? I am extremely interested in how much money we can free up to bring new blood to the club.

bartman

Immortal
Not sure how reliable or accurate this is, it's from a forum post on Sportal and its not complete (ones with ?s were not mentioned)... but it's a start.

http://forum.sportal.com.au/yaf_pos...ofiles-Updated-as-of-61008-Please-Sticky.aspx

Parramatta EELS
Coach: Daniel Anderson

Joe Galuvao (2009),
Josh Cordoba (2009),
Matt Keating (2009),
Todd Lowrie (2009),
Junior Paulo (2009),
Taulima Tautai (2009),
David Baumann (2009),

James Grehan (?)
Justin Horo (?)
Kevin Kingston (?)
Jeremy Latimore (?)
Marty Lewis (?)
Tim Mannah (?)
Anthony Mitchell (?)
Greg Nicholls (?)
Callan Richardson (?)
Jeff Robson (?)
Etu Usaile (?)
Brod Wright (?)
Jono Wright (?)

Luke Burt (?)
Nathan Cayless (?)
Jarryd Hayne (2010),
Krisnan Inu (2010),
Eric Grothe (2010),
Weller Hauraki (2010),
Nathan Hindmarsh (?)
Kris Keating (2010),
Feleti Mateo (2010),
Fuifui Moimoi (?)
Joel Reddy (?)
Tim Robinson (2010),
Brendon Oake (2010)

Brett Finch (2011),
Ben Smith (2012),

eel4life

Juniors
how would a board change improve this team :?

it's the coach who does that and 3P stated that Anderson was safe some time back

Player Retention ..

Player Recruitment ...

Actually caring about the football club, PETER STERLING SAYS THIS ALL THE TIME, so do all the other legends.

That's why a change is needed ...

Suitman

Post Whore
Player Retention ..

Player Recruitment ...

Actually caring about the football club, PETER STERLING SAYS THIS ALL THE TIME, so do all the other legends.

That's why a change is needed ...

Agree. Management, should afterall, have at least a minor say in what happens in this regard.

Suity

I thought Inu played better last night. At least he attempted to put some moves on even if they came to nothing. Joel nearly got a try out of it.

Delboy

First Grade
Recruitment and retention for 2009 was organised by M Hagan, and I think you will find that we won't sign even our own juniors for overs any more. We have players signed for long term deals which can only be nixwd if they move on a al Piggy, some would like it to happen but some of the deals/players will be hard to move as they paid far in excess of what they really would command. Hard ball is a word I hear that is going to be played, DA wants value for recruitment and is after some hard heads with NRL games under their belt, and apparently they are available, We won't be paying our juniors for potential when they have few NRL games played, currently you can get experience for a lot less and DA wants that.

Looks like we are a season away from decent change, but no time to jump on DA, he has been dealt the hand for this year, and I don't think it is a hand that you can bluff with.

Kiki

First Grade
okay this is my opinion from an outsiders view

your forward pack is pretty soft apart from Hindy. their fitness is better than last yr (how fat where they in 08?) but i still dont think it's up to scratch.

you have amazing talent in the backline but they dont seem to work together. as someone said in another thread, most of their great footy was from awhile ago and it seems like they have decided 'i am a good player' and thats just that. the passion isn't there, it feels like they don't really give a sh*t.

i think the team i general looks like they dont wanna be there. the win last week was great but it was a miracle they got out of that considering the abysmal first 60 minutes.

im not coming here to criticise or hate, i grew up in sydneys north west and have a big soft spot for Parra. i want them to do well!!

sharks8601

Juniors
the thing with mass changes is that you break up all the combinations that have been formed from last year and pre season. while its easy to say you need all these changes it will take quiet a few weeks to see the changes actually work

TheRam

Coach
Not sure how reliable or accurate this is, it's from a forum post on Sportal and its not complete (ones with ?s were not mentioned)... but it's a start.

http://forum.sportal.com.au/yaf_pos...ofiles-Updated-as-of-61008-Please-Sticky.aspx

Parramatta EELS
Coach: Daniel Anderson

Joe Galuvao (2009),
Josh Cordoba (2009),
Matt Keating (2009),
Todd Lowrie (2009),
Junior Paulo (2009),
Taulima Tautai (2009),
David Baumann (2009),

James Grehan (?)
Justin Horo (?)
Kevin Kingston (?)