What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst halves combination ever?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Jobdog said:
I hope New South Wales lose and Kimmorley chokes and throws another intercept to cost us the game

as opposed to what?
NSW losing and Mullen going MIA and staring down the barell of being the first NSW halfback since 1995 to lose 3 -0. Not what Mullen of this state needs for the future

and RABK, make no mistakes, Carney is a better player, always has been, and very well might always will be

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dazzat said:
The Anasta and Kimmorley combination is the best on offer for NSW at the moment, and should have been picked for game one. As a Queenslander, I'm a little less confident because of this selection.

Whether it's the worst in history ... you mob are living in the post-Johns shadow. Where do you go after the "best player of all time" (cough, cough) retires. Only one way is available ...
it'd be better with bird at five eighth if kimmorley is to be at halfback.

no halves combination containing anasta deserves to be considered the best available option unless all other five eighths are props.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
So, if we lose this series on Wednesday, who is going to be accountable?

Will everyone keep blaming the players chosen, or it is about time that the selectors take a good, long, hard look at themselves?

Because quite frankly, the selectors, headed by big mouth McCarthy, have done as much as possible in the last couple of years to ensure we lose.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I'm sure Bob McCarthy is thinking "We need to select a team queensland can beat" everytime he sits down to select a team.

Sure our team may have been ordinary in origin 1, but thats because the selectors decided to go with proven performers in the past over a lot of fresh new faces in good form. They decided to go with a more solid and tried and tested team for origin 1 than a side full of young debutants that are in good form at club level

Phoenix 36

Juniors
Guys, Doesn't really matter who you pick in the halfs, not even bargearse if he was available. Yours forwards are too fat and slow for the likes of Tunza, Costa, Dallas etc. Can't wait until your overhyped stars get smashed once again.

How about Bozo's comment about Brett White getting pummelled by Dallas, and Tunza should have be sent off!!!!! Turn it up!! He got bent over in the tackle by Johnson and headbutted Tunza's arm. If anything White should have been sent for the headbutt. ha ha.

The first SOO scoreline did not give a true indication of the game. NSW had three forward pass desions go their way (18pts) and Lockyer was playing on one leg. With Thurston's confidence at a all time high as the best player in the game he will be ready to take the game by the scruff of the neck. I'm expecting a blowout this time round on the scoreboard and can't wait for the media to plant the seed for another NSW implosion.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Kimmorley can't go any worse than any of the recent #7's like Mullen, Finch and Gower.
Always had a decent kicking game so that will be a big positive

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
BlaC_WIte_"N"_BlUE said:
Just like that pass Hodgson and Hayne passed?
But of course that never gets mentioned.

Hayne's pass didn't directly blow the game for NSW. That match was won for QLD the moment they stormed out of the sheds for the second half.

It did surprise me though, that Hodgson was not roasted more for that foolish pass that Lockyer picked up. Most of the media were more concerned with Graham West's poor effort in Game 3.

That being said, even Hodgson's pass in SOO 3 '06 could not surpass Kimmorley's effort in Game 1 '05 for stupidity. But I personally think it's a hoodoo surrounding the name "Brett".

1. Brett Kimmorley throws a pass in the dying moments of Game 1 '05 that was never going to find a blue jersey.

2. Brett Finch does his best "Keystone Cops" impression with a halfback display in Game 2 '06 that could be described at best as shambolic.

3. Brett Hodgson grasses the ball attempting a cut out pass to get NSW out of their own 20 in Game 3 '06 and Darren Lockyer swoops on it to score under the posts.

4. Brett White is rattled by a groin-grabbingly hard first tackle from Dallas Johsnon and doubles over into Tonie Carroll's forearm breaking his nose and causing uncontrollable bleeding. He was there for some of the match after, but never really "there".

panthersballboy

Juniors
I hope Kimmorley can fire up for this game. He has had some great origin games in the early 2000's. If the NSW forwards dominate and he doesn't do anything stupid then he will definitely have a better game then Mullen's game in the first match.

He is in the blues's team and as a passoinate New South Welshman I will support whoever pulls on the sky blue.

Honestly it's blokes like Mason, Hindmarsh and co. who really need to stand up this game.

The Gower / Timmins combo of game 1 2004 would have to go down as the worst ever - although Timmins ended up winning the game for NSW with a drop goal in golden point.

Munky

Coach
The Gower/Timmins and Gower/Gasnier combos were both pretty ordinary.

Gower plays well at half when he has another ball player in the halves yet the selectors gave him ball hogs.

The Prince/Flannery combo was pretty sh*te for QLD. Prince played well but Flannery...

Mr Saab

Referee
panthersballboy said:
I hope Kimmorley can fire up for this game. He has had some great origin games in the early 2000's.

Name them!
He had one good game and that was game 3 2000 when they won 56-16 over a QLD team that showed zero interest.
Every other origin game he has been sub standard - poor.
Best example is game 2 of 2000 when it was a close game, but noddy doing nothing.
A Johns comes on off the bench and NSW scored 18 points in 10 minutes or so and its game over.

Noddy has never been great in origin.

Ghoulies

Bench
Wagon/Green sounds pretty shocking when you look back at it now (even though they were briefly successful).