What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

worst origin game for a while?

how did you rate origin 1

• good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • average

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kiwi

First Grade
You can't seem to please people. When Origin was being won by 20 points a few seasons ago people were saying it was dead, no more gutsy wins, close games ect. Now we get one of those, and someone complains abouth there being no flashy tries.

That was one of the best origin games of the last 5 years, and I support the Broncos and QLD.

0neye

Mason's biggest contribution – and it was a massive play – came in the 78th minute when he jolted the ball loose from Shane Webcke. WHAT A MAN HE IS 8)

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Mason's biggest contribution – and it was a massive play – came in the 78th minute when he jolted the ball loose from Shane Webcke. WHAT A MAN HE IS

In what minute?

How long had he already been on the field?

How rooted was Webcke by that stage?

What came of it?

Simo

First Grade
I was at the game and i LOVED it.

How good was the opening set of six from the mighty blues in defense! We smashed em'

Prince played really really well, i thought Slater had a fine debut, same with Wesser.

Timmins isnt a 5/8 and never passes but hey what a field goal!!!

Exciting, footy and nothing to complain about for me. Shame about Gowers knee for Penriths sake.

1-0, Toads what have you got left??

Munky

Coach
I loved the kicking games of the two 5/8ths.

Seriously there was no support play at all in this game.

ak47

Juniors
i dunno what drugs most of u are on but give me some, coz it sounds good

the game was an absolute ripper

just cause we didnt see the new rugby league of fast flowing flashy tries and kicks, doesnt mean its a shite game

last night was
quick
brutal
grinding

kinda reminds me of the old origins with the 5m rule, and 20 match points.
only these guys were covering 10m per tackle.....put emphasis to that
compare this SOO to other SOO, in regards to:
Total hit-ups
Total tackles

That 1st set of 6, QLD made 17m in 5 tackles
thats 3.4m per hit-up - the defense was ruthless
Webckes played with a broken rib for 75 mins
He was taken off for the 1st time in the 80th minute
Now if thats not the origin we grew up watching what is???
There was passion - just no fights,
just look at the stats of the work load each team did, then look at the injuries sustained, then look at the minute count of the match, then look at the final expression on each players face as the FG went over - AND TELL ME THERE'S NO PASSION.

half of u are prolly in nappies that grew up watching the late 90's origins with unlimited interchange, and makeovers at half time
Go get a SOO classics DVD and watch them
the only diff between those games and last night:
1. The 10m rule
2. No Fights
3. Hodges - A scaredy cat, that QLD need to drop

Simo

First Grade
ak47 well said mate i agree 100%

I thought it was a ripper, i was there with a great view and the roar when that field goal went over was unreal, ive still sort of lost my voice from my screaming.

One quick correction, Webke did have breaks during the game, im 100% certain he was rotated like a normal forward. Didnt know his rib was broken though and that took guts. Shame he will miss the next 2 games though if it is like Lockyers rib.

Gower played with torn knee ligaments aswell.

GUTS, PASSION AND A WILL TO WIN!!! Thats what last night was to me.

gaterooze

Bench
I loved every minute, fantastic. We were all up and on the edge of our seats for most of it. The attack was low-key *because* the defence was so good.

Bengal

Juniors
gaterooze said:
I loved every minute, fantastic. We were all up and on the edge of our seats for most of it. The attack was low-key *because* the defence was so good.

The defence was made to look good because of the lack intelligence in attack and the lack of will to attack (because of the lack of brains).

I look at it in terms of if either one of these sides was playing Origin teams from 2-3 years ago they would've got thrashed. There so-called brilliant defence would've been shown up for what it was - nothing special.

gaterooze

Bench
Where's the passion? Geeze, Webbie having busted ribs from the 5th minute and playing on until the 80th. Craig Fitzgibbon ('nuff said). Craig Gower snapping his medial ligament (out for 6 weeks) 15 mins from the end and playing on.

Some people are so hard to please.

Y'know, when the Rugby World Cup final was on last year, everyone knew it was a shit game except for the last few minutes (merely because of the score & golden point), and yet people still raved about it to save face for the awful 'event'. League doesn't do that... and yet, the game last night was soooo much better it's not funny.

Simo

First Grade
Bengal the scrambling defense in my opinion was as good as ever. And 24 tackles in a row on your own line is an amazing effort. I cant even try an talk down the efforts in defense.

I love it when both teams give everything to stop a try and ive seen lots of Origins where some players dont make the last lunge and just let people score.

I didnt see that last night, i saw people get cut down mm's from the line and held up in despertaion.

Thats what Origin is about. Passion and desperation to do anything to win. Not every game is going to be a display for creative backline moves but mostly they will be entertaining and last night certainly was for me.

Bengal

Juniors
Simo said:
Bengal the scrambling defense in my opinion was as good as ever. And 24 tackles in a row on your own line is an amazing effort. I cant even try an talk down the efforts in defense.

I love it when both teams give everything to stop a try and ive seen lots of Origins where some players dont make the last lunge and just let people score.

I didnt see that last night, i saw people get cut down mm's from the line and held up in despertaion.

Thats what Origin is about. Passion and desperation to do anything to win. Not every game is going to be a display for creative backline moves but mostly they will be entertaining and last night certainly was for me.

I will never deny the importance of passion to the game, but there needs to be a certain amount of skill in the game also - it just wasn't there.

If there's no skill, no creativity - Origin will die, the game will die - that's what worries me!

Simo

First Grade
Bengal fair point and if every single Origin game was played so defensively then yes you would have a cause to be worried.

But each game is different and each exciting in its own right and to have a good old fashioned defensive slug out that goes right to the wire was exciting to me and i think every now and then a game can survive on the passion of the players alone.

Surely you cant think last nights game was worse than say game 2 last year when QLD didnt turn up to play? Sure they had more creative players but really lacked any sort of the passion that they showed to make game 1 one of the best in memory.

Last nights game was great i thought.

This game was one of those tough defensive battles due to the selection problems faced by both teams (injuries to key players, stupidity by others etc) and it was to me entertaining.

_Johnsy

Referee
Lets be reasonable here, the first game of a three game series. The ground seemed to be fairly damp, brutal defence, each side had key attacking players out, NSW had a lock 2nd row playing 5/8. Considering this it was a great game, definately a classic origin encounter.

Simo

First Grade
Good point Johnsy about being reasonable.

Reading some posts you'd think it was the worst game youve ever seen!

I could name easily Origin games worse than that. I thought it was a great game.

Its interesting how opposite alot of our opinions seem to be on this game. Its either love it or hate it apparently!

Anonymous

Juniors
Some people just want to see lots of tries nowadays.

The fact is, attack is just a part of the formula. Despite the rule changes and what the advertising says, attack is just one aspect of the overall game. Rugby League is not a single dimensional game with predictable outcomes... at least it shouldnt be.

You should be able to go to two different matches and see a completely style of play. What we saw last night was a grinding, 'drag 'em out', low scoring affair. Next time, you might see the opposite with 40 or 50 points being scored. It's all part of the game.

Personally, I like the low scoring matches, but I can just as easily watch a try-fest.

I thought last night's game was tremendous.

Gus22

Juniors
I was at Telstra last night. My first live Origin game. It was an anti-climax & a real let down to be honest. The game never rose to any great heights & I would describe it as boring if it were not for the closeness in the scores & the Golden Point scenario.

I was expecting the atmosphere at the ground to be something more than it was. The feel at Telstra was sterile compared to a couple of club games I've been to this year, most recently Wests v Bulldogs @ Gosford. The crowd even had to resort to starting a Mexican wave in a failed attempt to liven up a dull first 40mins. There was definitely something missing as compared to SOO in the 80's & 90's.

I put it down to the following factors;

1. Average standard of the match.
2. Telstra Stadium too vast for RL. Aussie Stadium better suited.
3. Lack of star players through injury/retirement/other (eg, Johns, Lockyer, Tallis)
4. Well documented dramas in the lead up.
5. QLD dont seem to be nearly as hard to beat as they once were.

As much as I would hate it, the best thing that could happen for SOO in NSW is for QLD to come back & win this series. That would give QLD that mancing feel once more. To me the Cane Toads are looking like toothless tiger -no bite, they just suck.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go & wash my mouth out for suggesting QLD should win anything.