What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Raider Ever?

Raider_69

Post Whore
i agree, naming someone the "worst" player is pretty low, but some were certinally lucky to make 1sts

Raider Ultra

Bench
Booby is now playing out in the sticks round Goulburn. I'm disappointed that no one has mentioned Nathan Sologinkin yet, he was truly dire.

kaon

Juniors
This thread wasn't meant to degrade anyone; it's just a light hearted look at players who made you cringe every time they touched the ball. I've got no doubt they all put in when they did play first grade but with some of them, you had to wonder why they were in the side.

Another one I want to put up is Luke Williamson. This guy was so slow he makes Matt Gidley look like Ben Johnson on steroids. It's probably an indication of where we were at in the middle of Mal's coaching term that we played a professional goal kicker. Even worse was that he could only kick from one side of the field. :roll:

Just been looking through some old League Week magazines from the Meninga coaching era.
check some of these names out:

Anthony Siebold
Damian Kennedy
Ben Rauter
David Cox

LOL how many different centre pairings did we have during the Meninga coaching era? I can't remember one long term pairing. We had Williamson, Wiki, Costin, Croker, Nagas, McLinden, Mullins, Lolesi all playing in there. I'm probably forgetting some more.

edabomb

First Grade
i didnt think meninga did that bad a job as coach, although he was thrown in way 2 quickly after playing. he didnt have many resources and did ok, finished 4th in 2000

Paullyboy

Coach
Siebold is a top bloke, he became a teacher at my old school the year after i graduated, 2 years ago. He has done wonders for the school's rugby league program and he coached the grade 8 team to the best queensland grade 8 school this year too.

but on the subject of worst player ever

ALBERT ' the tongan prince' FULIVAI

Geez he was ordinary, it became comical by the end of his career at how bad he was.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
edabomb said:
i didnt think meninga did that bad a job as coach, although he was thrown in way 2 quickly after playing. he didnt have many resources and did ok, finished 4th in 2000

Don't get me wrong I think he did well with what he had at the time. I was refering more to the way the club turned it's back on tradition, culture etc. You know, the way they changed the clubs colours, joining super league, letting Clyde and Stuart go etc.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
I am all for the Albert Fulavai (or as me and my brother call him - Albert Ful'a'vit) nomination, but there is one player I truly cannot believe hasn't been nominated yet.

For those that were regular contributors to the Raiders Debate Page, there was an ongoing war over the value that Andrew McFadden had to the team.

Personally he rates above ALL others as the worst player to don the mighty lime green.

Sure he had some talent but no other player in my living memory did a worse job in a key role than this guy.

It's nothing personal just simply a footballing judgement.

If you recall he left the Raiders to 'win a premiership' with the Eels, and didn't exactly help them forget about Jason Taylor anytime soon. Considering how limited Taylor was in 2001 and they still dominated, contrasts how McFadden played in 2002 and they never resembled the dominant 2001 squad. You can't blame that simply on McFadden but he was a serious contributor to the downfall of their confidence that year.

Just back on Ful'a'vit...

His defining moment as a true chump of the club, came when the night Mullins scored a THOUSAND tries in Newcastle, and we won 56-12 or something, Ful'a'vit got an intercept from a loose pass about 15 metres out from our line. He picked it up on the run and looked like an 80m run for another try was a mere formality. But not our Albert.

PAUL HARRAGON - yes that speedy Gonzales clone, gave Ful'a'vit a 10 metres head start and had to make ground laterally and pulled him in tackling him BEFORE the halfway.

If that isn't a true indication of chumpness then I'll give it away.

Edwahu

Bench
One player I couldnt stand was David Boyle. He was solid but I swear I have never seen a bigger ball hog. I cant remember him ever passing it and he used to kill plenty of good attacking movements.

greeneyed

First Grade
Prodigiousman said:
I am all for the Albert Fulavai (or as me and my brother call him - Albert Ful'a'vit) nomination, but there is one player I truly cannot believe hasn't been nominated yet.

For those that were regular contributors to the Raiders Debate Page, there was an ongoing war over the value that Andrew McFadden had to the team.

Personally he rates above ALL others as the worst player to don the mighty lime green.

Sure he had some talent but no other player in my living memory did a worse job in a key role than this guy.

It's nothing personal just simply a footballing judgement.

If you recall he left the Raiders to 'win a premiership' with the Eels, and didn't exactly help them forget about Jason Taylor anytime soon. Considering how limited Taylor was in 2001 and they still dominated, contrasts how McFadden played in 2002 and they never resembled the dominant 2001 squad. You can't blame that simply on McFadden but he was a serious contributor to the downfall of their confidence that year.

Just back on Ful'a'vit...

His defining moment as a true chump of the club, came when the night Mullins scored a THOUSAND tries in Newcastle, and we won 56-12 or something, Ful'a'vit got an intercept from a loose pass about 15 metres out from our line. He picked it up on the run and looked like an 80m run for another try was a mere formality. But not our Albert.

PAUL HARRAGON - yes that speedy Gonzales clone, gave Ful'a'vit a 10 metres head start and had to make ground laterally and pulled him in tackling him BEFORE the halfway.

If that isn't a true indication of chumpness then I'll give it away.

This HAS to be a joke designed to provoke discussion! And McFadden didn't leave "to win a premiership" (unlike a certain other player who we aimed to keep by ditching McFadden), he was pushed out of the club.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
If you recall he left the Raiders to 'win a premiership' with the Eels,

Greeneyed - depends how you read it...

I know he wasn't offered a contract but that doesn't mean he didn't leave Canberra with the intention of winning the comp with Parra. Heck they'd just fallen 1 game short of the Premiership, he was well entitled to think he could win a premiership there instead of Canberra at the time.

AS i've said before - footballing wise letting McFadden go was a good move for the Raiders. Sure Finch did us NO favours by leaving but McFadden wasn't doing many for us in his time here.

And if you want to get pedantic - McFadden was with the club well before Finch arrived, got his chances DIDN'T take them. If you recall 2001 was McFadden's year of opportunity - thing was he was Keeping McLinden OUT not Finch keeping McFadden out.