What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst refereeing decision you've seen

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Anasta was actually penalised for a grapple, and the penalty was blown simultaneously with Faalogo's punch to the head.

Faalogo should have been sent off rather than binned though.

Matt23

Staff member
As a Knights fan, there's not too many really bad ones against us that spring to mind actually. I guess the one freshest in the mind is the Tigers game last year, Houston got penalised for getting pushed. Then in golden point Farah pushed our marker over and kicked the winning FG from dummy half.
X2, if it had been the other way, the pricks in pink would have blown it up within seconds

Valheru

Coach
Apart from what has already been mentioned the “try” awarded to the warriors against the roosters when they had that “home game” at Christchurch in 2010. Not the game winner but one of their earlier tries where he planted the ball square on the dead ball line and the video ref had 27 looks at it and still awarded it.

Black Majik

Juniors
I remember a Panthers/Sharks game early 2000's at Shark Park.

Ball was played by Penrith and Priddis passed it back. Player catches and puts a chip kick over the Cronulla defense, but Priddis catches it and passes it back to the kicker who came racing through and they score. No offside, no Video...just a try!

We won that game too!

_Johnsy

Referee
It can. its there in black and white !!

I cannot remember the game. I am not 100% sure, but fairly certain.

I am sure you actually saw the text before the section you quoted.

Section 16. Duties of Referee and Touch Judges (continued)
Changing decision
9. The Referee judges on matters of fact and shall not subsequently alter those judgments. He may cancel any decision made if prior foul play of which he had no knowledge is reported to him by a Touch Judge.

It states nowhere in the laws of the game that he cannot do the below.

Deciding not to award a penalty he previously awarded, then awarding the penalty to the other side is exactly what I am talking about. no need to play semantics.

It can. its there in black and white !!

I cannot remember the game. I am not 100% sure, but fairly certain.

I am sure you actually saw the text before the section you quoted.

Section 16. Duties of Referee and Touch Judges (continued)
Changing decision
9. The Referee judges on matters of fact and shall not subsequently alter those judgments. He may cancel any decision made if prior foul play of which he had no knowledge is reported to him by a Touch Judge.

It states nowhere in the laws of the game that he cannot do the below.

Deciding not to award a penalty he previously awarded, then awarding the penalty to the other side is exactly what I am talking about. no need to play semantics.
Do you know what the word "prior" means?

_Johnsy

Referee
Can you be any more condescending?

It does not change the scenario I gave you.

If he gave a penalty to the attacking team, then was alerted to PRIOR foul play had been committed by one of the attacking teams players on a defending team player, if a touchy reports it.

The referee can then chose not to award the original penalty.

He can chose to award a penalty on the basis of the prior (there it is again) foul play committed, reported to him by a touch judge.

Do you comprehend ?

dogslife

Coach
And Anasta was penalised for holding down before Faalogo belted him so the penalty was already given and cannot be reversed. The ref even said that from memory.

Anasta was penalised for a grapple tackle after the fact. The real crime was that Faalago was only sin binned, and Souffs got the penalty

Hutty1986

Immortal
That Benji "drop-kick" in the semis last year was one of the worst decisions in recent memory, plenty to choose from when it comes to useless video refs. Good to see Butters still whinging around 06, I was cheering Brisbane home that night big time

Vic Mackey

Referee
1989 Bruce macguire penalized for running into a canberra player that was 5m offside

Only time in history it has been penalized

Vic Mackey

Referee
You can say others were bad calls but most of them are discretion

This one harrigan just plain made a rule up

Grapple

Bench
I remember a pretty bad call on Matt Orford in 09', going for a ball after a grubber and supposedly "impeding" Preston Campbell, that cost Manly the game (up 17-16) as the penalty was right in front of the posts with two minutes to go.

But there was one dive that still stands out in my memory from Scott Prince, where he wasn't even touched AT ALL and subequently got him a penalty. I think it was against The Storm.....

Prince's was right up there with Isaac Luke's famous "stay down until we get the penalty".

Bulldog Force

Referee
only cos you choked in the alst round and got beaten by a team you should have beaten (cant remember which team it was but it was an upset)
And guess what? There were plenty of games we weren't fancied to win that we won, and there were plenty of other games we were supposed to win that we lost. THAT'S LEAGUE.

That call was the worst because the referee admitted he got it wrong.

newman

First Grade
That Benji "drop-kick" in the semis last year was one of the worst decisions in recent memory, plenty to choose from when it comes to useless video refs. Good to see Butters still whinging around 06, I was cheering Brisbane home that night big time

That was 50/50 at best that call. Far from the worst call Ive ever seen.

In the last 3 years the refs have come out twice and admitted they have majorly stuffed up against the Sharks (Douglas send off against Manly and Rd 1 against Tigers). We have been on the end of some shocking decisions, Im waiting patiently for these to even out.

Can you be any more condescending?

It does not change the scenario I gave you.

If he gave a penalty to the attacking team, then was alerted to PRIOR foul play had been committed by one of the attacking teams players on a defending team player, if a touchy reports it.

The referee can then chose not to award the original penalty.

He can chose to award a penalty on the basis of the prior (there it is again) foul play committed, reported to him by a touch judge.

Do you comprehend ?
No he wasn't. There was no prior fould play. You clearly don't know what "prior" means. The foul play was AFTER the penalty.

Do you comprehend?

gronkathon

First Grade
That was 50/50 at best that call. Far from the worst call Ive ever seen.

In the last 3 years the refs have come out twice and admitted they have majorly stuffed up against the Sharks (Douglas send off against Manly and Rd 1 against Tigers). We have been on the end of some shocking decisions, Im waiting patiently for these to even out.

Its the vig on the money you had to get from the games admin to stay afloat

Latest posts