What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst refereeing decision you've seen

Danish

Referee
Russell Smith did it once at Canberra Stadium.

Jason Smith was hit high and was injured, and Russell Smith penalised him for, wait for it, refusing to play the ball. The penalty was subsequently reversed when the video ref tipped him off about the high tackle, which is permitted due to it being a prior incident of foul play.

One of the worst calls I've seen, that original one. Fancy penalising a bloke for refusing to play the ball because he'd been concussed by a high shot.

Was that the one where they claimed Smith had to get a dozen stitches in his forehead (where he was clutching at), despite actually being brushed in the back of the head by Mini's bicep while falling to ground having fielded a grubber with his back to the attack?

The stitches that miraculously left no scar 6 days later for the Raiders next game?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Nightingale is about to be bundled over the sideline at about halfway after making a break in the 2010 4 Nations final. He hurls the ball 50m forward to Benji waiting patiently in-goal, who then offloads unselfishly for the Kiwis to score and take the win.

The above is 100% accurate.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
It matters not what lowly fans think, you must ask the players who they consider the victors.

After game 3 2002, Queensland players were celebrating and the roaches had heads in hands.

Queensland rightful champions after being denied rightful try. Sorry nsw

Seti

Juniors
Steve Clark for binning David Kidwell when Kidwell asked what a penalty was for. Clark lost control in the worst way.

Paul Simpkins sending off Wade Mckinnon for kneeing the man playing the ball. There was no contact or even intent. Naturally he was not cited.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Tigers vs Knights was a classic leichhardt stitch up of epic proportions in it as well.

Gareth Ellis dropped an elbow on a defender on the ground, then when the defender got clear of the ruck and tried to get back onside another tigers player came through and cleaned him up.

Bizarrely the penalty went to the tigers and I believe they scored the try to take it to golden point off the next set.

The refs royally fcked the knights in the game, even I had no problems admitting that

It matters not what lowly fans think, you must ask the players who they consider the victors.

After game 3 2002, Queensland players were celebrating and the roaches had heads in hands.

Queensland rightful champions after being denied rightful try. Sorry nsw
I remember all the Qld tards I knew at the time celebrating like they'd won and I told all of them that in the future the series would read "Drawn". It still does. Same as 1999. Which is why it was funny that Tuqiri made almost no effort to try and convert the try after the bell because the dumb merkins thought a draw was as good as a win.

legend

Coach
I thought the Miller try against the Raiders on Monday night was a howler. Very little doubt he touched the ball somewhere along the line, making it a knock on.

Danish

Referee
The refs royally fcked the knights in the game, even I had no problems admitting that

The refs descended into madness during that game. Completely lost control.

Great for a tigers fan. Hilarious for a neutral but jesus would have been horrible as a knights fan :lol:

Mr Saab

Referee
Steve Clark for binning David Kidwell when Kidwell asked what a penalty was for. Clark lost control in the worst way.

Paul Simpkins sending off Wade Mckinnon for kneeing the man playing the ball. There was no contact or even intent. Naturally he was not cited.

Both were complete ding dongs as refs

_Johnsy

Referee
When Anasta had his head almost punched off by Faalago & 5(c)uff$ were awarded the penalty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEQmVy0ASYA

Worst decision ever, end thread/

Yeah, it can. Has happened before.

Like when?

Cannot remember the game, I am sure someone will know it. A penalty was reversed.

Anyone remember the game & approx year ?

Nowhere in the rule book says a penalty can be reversed and you can show no example of it happening. I'd say that suggests it can't and hasn't.

ECT

Thanks for finding the rule about 2 min before I located it, so a penalty can be reversed.

I found it bizarre that the laws of the ame under the NRL banner were not so easy to locate. Found the International laws from 2008.

http://www.arldevelopment.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/NDO_Webpage_Docs/ARL_International_Laws_of_the_Game_2008.pdf

Cheers

It can. its there in black and white !!

I cannot remember the game. I am not 100% sure, but fairly certain.

I am sure you actually saw the text before the section you quoted.

Section 16. Duties of Referee and Touch Judges (continued)
Changing decision
9. The Referee judges on matters of fact and shall not subsequently alter those judgments. He may cancel any decision made if prior foul play of which he had no knowledge is reported to him by a Touch Judge.

It states nowhere in the laws of the game that he cannot do the below.

Deciding not to award a penalty he previously awarded, then awarding the penalty to the other side is exactly what I am talking about. no need to play semantics.

Do you know what the word "prior" means?

Can you be any more condescending?

It does not change the scenario I gave you.

If he gave a penalty to the attacking team, then was alerted to PRIOR foul play had been committed by one of the attacking teams players on a defending team player, if a touchy reports it.

The referee can then chose not to award the original penalty.

He can chose to award a penalty on the basis of the prior (there it is again) foul play committed, reported to him by a touch judge.

Do you comprehend ?

No he wasn't. There was no prior fould play. You clearly don't know what "prior" means. The foul play was AFTER the penalty.

Do you comprehend?

Russell Smith did it once at Canberra Stadium.

Jason Smith was hit high and was injured, and Russell Smith penalised him for, wait for it, refusing to play the ball. The penalty was subsequently reversed when the video ref tipped him off about the high tackle, which is permitted due to it being a prior incident of foul play.

Thanks skeepe. I knew someone with a better memory would remember the game.

ECT

if you assume I was referring to the Anasta penalty, that's your f**k up. Not mine.

I am not referring to the ANASTA incident. I clearly stated that a referee can reverse a penalty. Then you told me I was wrong. I have shown you three, count them 1,...2,...3 times that the referee can do it.

I have even quoted the conversation & nowhere have I said the Faalogo penalty should have been reversed, just that a referee can reverse a penalty.

You jumped up on your high horse and proven wrong. Easy mistake to make if you have trouble understanding what you have read.

Last edited:

legend

Coach
One of the funniest things I ever saw was when Parra thumped Cronulla 74-4 @ Parra and the ref went to town on the Sharks. There was a send off from memory, but can't remember who.

ECT

Are you honestly that thick ?

I am not referring to the ANASTA incident. I clearly stated that a referee can reverse a penalty. Then you told me I was wrong. I have shown you three, count them 1,...2,...3 times that the referee can do it.

I have even quoted the conversation & nowhere have I said the Faalogo penalty should have been reversed, just that a referee can reverse a penalty.

You jumped up on your high horse and proven wrong. Easy mistake to make if you have trouble understanding what you have read.
It doesn't matter how many times you say it champ it doesn't make it true. You were banging on about how the ref got the Faalogo one wrong and now you're trying to back-track. A ref cannot "reverse" a penalty. What he can do is cancel ANY decision in light of a PRIOR act of foul play. None of that has anything to do with the Anasta case though so you were dead dead wrong.

MSIH

Bench

ECT

Are you honestly that thick ?

Melbourne got the penalty originally in the infamous game at Brookie last year just before the fight, then it was reversed.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I remember all the Qld tards I knew at the time celebrating like they'd won and I told all of them that in the future the series would read "Drawn". It still does. Same as 1999. Which is why it was funny that Tuqiri made almost no effort to try and convert the try after the bell because the dumb merkins thought a draw was as good as a win.

Yep it was, because it was just another year that the shield stayed with QLD, confirming their supremacy. Plenty of Blue tards didn't understand this at the time (much like yourself now) and the tears ensued. Was then, and is now pleasing to see.

_Johnsy

Referee
It doesn't matter how many times you say it champ it doesn't make it true. You were banging on about how the ref got the Faalogo one wrong and now you're trying to back-track. A ref cannot "reverse" a penalty. What he can do is cancel ANY decision in light of a PRIOR act of foul play. None of that has anything to do with the Anasta case though so you were dead dead wrong.

Wrong, wrong wrong.

I have not stated (banged on) that the ref should have reversed the faalogo penalty. Quite simply, that didn't happen. If you can find any of my quotes where I have typed that the referee should have reversed that penalty, your a genius, because I have not.

I stated that a referee can in fact reverse a penalty if he chooses and even explained the scenario.

It's ok, none will think any worse of you because you assumed that i was referring to that Faalogo penalty when I clearly was not. Man up.

Vic Mackey

Referee
One of the funniest things I ever saw was when Parra thumped Cronulla 74-4 @ Parra and the ref went to town on the Sharks. There was a send off from memory, but can't remember who.

That game was a farce, I think the sharks had 9 players on the field at one stage and had 1 set of 6 in the last 20 minutes

Yep it was, because it was just another year that the shield stayed with QLD, confirming their supremacy. Plenty of Blue tards didn't understand this at the time (much like yourself now) and the tears ensued. Was then, and is now pleasing to see.
Only Queenslanders can draw a game and think they won.

_Johnsy

Referee

Frankie,

The series was drawn. The shield holders retained the shield, QLD did not win that series.

Not upsetting in any way shape or form, just a fact.

Latest posts