What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst signing

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Corey Payne worst signing ever, really?

Apart from the fact he kept getting concust I thought he was (and is) a good back rower

Ok, maybe not the worst, but I don't reckon he lived up to the hype he came with when we snaffled him from merkinurbury.

Collateral

Coach
A couple I can think of that haven't been mentioned yet.

Shane "The next Mundine" Kenward
Shane Laloata
John Wilshere
Damien Bower
Corey Payne
Brett Kelly

Shane Laloata came up through our ranks and was quite a good player. Just ended up fizzling out after a couple great games in the top grade. Think he scored a double against the Broncos and was talk of the town for a while.

Corey Payne was and still is a great player who just had too many injury problems.

corvettedragon

Juniors
definitely Andrew "dead fish" Farrar, who couldn't motivate a flee, let alone a footy time. our club went backwards 10years.

Efresh

Coach
Rangi Chase has been over in England and killing it with the Castleford Tigers, recently played for the Exiles v England.

Cheers. I didn't mention him as a worst signing, but he came to mind as I was reading about these other guys who vanished.

RedVDave

First Grade
Cheers. I didn't mention him as a worst signing, but he came to mind as I was reading about these other guys who vanished.

I think the biggest vanish of all time goes to Andrew Price who we signed from Newcastle played 5 solid games of FG and 5 weeks later we was never heard of or sighted again, talk about a dissapearing act.

Richie Williams and Ben Rodgers are first to mind.

They were poopsicles.

A couple of axes to grind on Ryles and Barrett hey? Even though they were juniors?

I don't understand how anyone can consider their opinions of a player balanced when they focus solely on their mistakes with no consideration of their positive contributions.

Ryles drove everyone nuts but to say he is up there with some of the other jokers named in this thread is ridiculous. Same with Barrett.

Hah hah!

Some "funny" memories here..

** The Penalty Puller. Did nothing. Not even some cheap penalties.
** Wycliffe Palu - He didn't even raise a sweat with us?? And then..."Hello Australia!"
** Solomon Haumono - Well.. he had a good gfriend didn't he? Or had she dumpled him by then?

In defence of..
** Tony Smith - I remember that fantastic tackle he made (body charge) to stop a try, right on our line, in a semi final (maybe he tackled an Illawarra player..??). One of the best try saving tackles I have seen. Good solid player. But yeah.. being the brother of the coach probably helped (selection) a little.

** Damien Chapman - I remember watching the Schoolboy GF that year and DC did EVERYTHING. His team won (St Gregs?) and he was the standout player. Maybe he even scored all of the points. I was so HAPPY when he was signed by the Dragons. Then he broke a leg (literally) and never recovered properly. That was it. Career over. Tragic. Hope you are well DC.

And Barrett. Put me in his corner. Great man. Very good player. I think we just expected too much from him every week.

hod.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
but what did barrett ever do

Must of done something as he has won the Daly M. Boyd was sensational last year and did not win the Daly M so goes to show how hard it is to win it. Only Dragon to win it in a while, yet gets bagged by most in the forum.

Tony Smith was the worst signing. Forgot about that tosser. Coaches favourite. Did no wrong.

Whatever happened to Peter Coyne? He played 5/8 for a season and gone. He was the slowest 5/8 I have ever seen but somehow did the job.

Tony Smith was the worst signing. Forgot about that tosser. Coaches favourite. Did no wrong.

Whatever happened to Peter Coyne? He played 5/8 for a season and gone. He was the slowest 5/8 I have ever seen but somehow did the job.

Thanks for jogging my memory Slippery.

I now think that "great tackle" I mentioned (above) was in fact made by Peter Coyne, not Tony Smith.
Pretty sure it was the 1992 Prelim Final against Illawarra.

Well..... I remember the tackle at least.
I think.....
Maybe..

blacklock

Juniors
Must of done something as he has won the Daly M. Boyd was sensational last year and did not win the Daly M so goes to show how hard it is to win it. Only Dragon to win it in a while, yet gets bagged by most in the forum.
i didnt like barrett because he had zero creativity. His kicks seemed one dimensional (always going dead). He threw bullet passes to players in tough positions surrounded by defenders and he had a few dropped balls (the most painful over the line lol).

Whenever he played i felt when the game was in the balance, we needed things to just bounce our way or get lucky.

As opposed to soward...when he is on the field, i feel there is a chance to win a tight game and its entirely within his skill set to pull it off.

Not sure if that last point is one that resonates with anyone else...i can still remember going to finals games when barrett was around and that sinking feeling in the stomach that the results werent completely within our control. Being at last yrs prelim final again the tigers....i LOVED that final field goal! A part of me at the time (on the way home) reflected on past semis..i just couldnt see barrett pulling the kick off under pressure.

I can just picture him kicking it and all the saints fans heads dropping.

but thats my take :)

big pat

Coach
Thanks for jogging my memory Slippery.

I now think that "great tackle" I mentioned (above) was in fact made by Peter Coyne, not Tony Smith.
Pretty sure it was the 1992 Prelim Final against Illawarra.

Well..... I remember the tackle at least.
I think.....
Maybe..

phew, glad i'm not the only one, who has the occasional memory lapses, in a nice way, richie willaims for me, his ability and his mouth were never in sync.

Breathingfire

Juniors
I think Barrett tried very hard but to say he was inconsistant is a great understatement. I think with good coaching (IE. Bennett) Barrett could have been an exceptional player. Looking back it was a career of missed opportunities IMO. I will always remember the exceptional ball he threw to Matt Cooper against the Bulldogs at the showground in the semi final in 01.

Last edited: