What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst signing

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Leave Lee Murphy alone - great Reserve Grade player, just not able to sustain First Grade standard.

ummm...I'm not an expert, however I believe a player who is a good reserve grade player but isn't good enough to play 1st grade is a sh*t player

Dragonwest

Juniors
Ryles was one of our best year in year out. hung out to dry for a couple of bad options. The crap he coped for the sharks game was geniused ... we wouldnt have even had a chance to win that game had it not been for his efforts.

We've bought some absolute shite over the years, many of the worst idiots identified in this thread. Going back further, I'd add the likes of Paul Upfield, Steve Worthington, Shane Kelly and the slow, useless block-skulled clown five eighth from 1988 Shoeboxhead Robinson.

But for me the worst ever was Bronko DJura. Here's the scenario: It's the dog end of 1986 and we've underachieved desperately after the heartbreak of '85. Souths on the other hand have had their best season in years, forged on the shrewd kicking game of Neil Baker. Rumours start to circulate about Saints being in the market for an un-named kicking back from Souths. Obviously we're all thinking Baker. But it turns out to be bit part Rabbitohs reserve grade utility D'Jura. Saints failed to crack the semis for next five years, and for each of those miserable seasons D'Jura was a fixture, failing at fullback, centre, five eighth and dummy half. Slow, dim-witted and with a half dazed look he was the living embodiment of an era in which we were the sort of joke that Souths and the Scum are today. He should have his own plaque on the Legends Walk as a warning of what depths it's possible to sink to.

And Dragon West. Good on you and all. But Ryles stone cold lost that game against the Scum.

Darren South is the only bloke who's blown a game more spectacularly by himself.

Godz Illa

Coach
But for me the worst ever was Bronko DJura. Here's the scenario: It's the dog end of 1986 and we've underachieved desperately after the heartbreak of '85. Souths on the other hand have had their best season in years, forged on the shrewd kicking game of Neil Baker. Rumours start to circulate about Saints being in the market for an un-named kicking back from Souths. Obviously we're all thinking Baker. But it turns out to be bit part Rabbitohs reserve grade utility D'Jura. Saints failed to crack the semis for next five years, and for each of those miserable seasons D'Jura was a fixture, failing at fullback, centre, five eighth and dummy half. Slow, dim-witted and with a half dazed look he was the living embodiment of an era in which we were the sort of joke that Souths and the Scum are today. He should have his own plaque on the Legends Walk as a warning of what depths it's possible to sink to.
lol nice. I recall one of those years we were a chance of reaching the finals, we had to beat Penrith late in the season to qualify. Djura missed the winning goal kick from in front.

st.phil

Bench
i thought he only played with us in 87 and returned to souths?

We've bought some absolute shite over the years, many of the worst idiots identified in this thread. Going back further, I'd add the likes of Paul Upfield, Steve Worthington, Shane Kelly and the slow, useless block-skulled clown five eighth from 1988 Shoeboxhead Robinson.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Did Tony Smith get a guernsey yet?
I'm sure Brian used to say "Let Tony score the try or you're not playing next week"

The Nick

Bench
Barrett? You guys are on drugs and he was not signed from anywhere. He came as part of the merger. Signing you mean from other clubs don't you? Ryles and Baz don't fit in that category. Didn't Baz get Daly M in his second year of the merger? Can't be that bad. Ryles is a champion as well. Always gave his best. Having Poore play next to him did not help. Talk about rubbish, Poore was one of them.

Brett Firman would be No.1 for me, followed by Richie Williams. Both suppose to be the answer to our halves. Yeah right.

Mate you need to understand that this forum is full of Rugby League experts who have forgotten more about footy than blokes like Wayne Bennett or Phil Gould will ever know, and these experts have long decided that Ryles and Barrett were/are terrible footballers. So just accept it as fact.

Dragonwest

Juniors
And Dragon West. Good on you and all. But Ryles stone cold lost that game against the Scum.

Darren South is the only bloke who's blown a game more spectacularly by himself.

73 minutes played. 17 hit ups for 142m, 6 offloads, 2 tackle breaks, 45 tackles, 4 misses. He was close to the best on park ... without him we wouldnt have made golden point.

clifford

Juniors
Muz
Gaz came with a back-end deal that cost us unders, given his contract is bolstered by third-party deals. Third-party deals that rely on his maturity and acumen along with his reputation
If we have a surplus of anything in our roster it's talented back rowers
Smith and Costigan are both injury prone and whilst contributing to our GF performance have not been missed in 2011 Our RHS defence is the best in the NRL and Gaz is integral in that line
Next to Bennett and Boyd, Gaz was our best signing of the Bennett era.
As previously stated here; he draws both centre and wing in defence and leaves Nighty free to receive the cut-out pass (2 in the GF) quick flick on, or ridiculous offload from Gaz.
Had you kept Smith and Costigan, which of our back-rowers would you be dropping from our current best team options?

nighty has been given so much more room since gaz has come back because gaz makes alot of wingers nervous because of wat he has previously been known for making breaks sure he hasnt made as much as he used to and isnt has fast off that step as he used to but he has added more to the team these days as his offloading has been great and the amount of times wingers come in on him and nighty is there wide open. please beau scott is a great forward and brilliant in defence love him. but come on in centres? ask nighty he hardly touched the ball when he was there and is no where near as quick thinking and reading the play as gaz is/

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
solomon haumono or whoever the f**k you spell his name

wow.. that's right.. forgot about him..

he's got to be up there...

was an absolute gun when in form...

same with martin masella.. although that was in the steelers days..