What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Try In The History Of Origin

Karl

Juniors
Seems to be one of those situations where the strict and correct application of the rules yields an unjust result. Luckily it didn't change the outcome directly but it did have had a big effect on the teams and certainly a substantial indirect impact on who won.

Canard

Immortal
I know you aren't a big league follower Karl so I would urge you to watch it again.

Inglis has possession of the ball, is dispossed by Farah, regains it and scores. Fair try any day.

If this happened in the field of play (by say a NSW strip) it would be play on.

The only "controversy" generated is that of Phil Goulds reaction and NSW fans blind following of his bias.

Johns Magic

Referee
I know you aren't a big league follower Karl so I would urge you to watch it again.

Inglis has possession of the ball, is dispossed by Farah, regains it and scores. Fair try any day.

And I urge you to watch it again. Farah knocks the ball out, then it goes straight into Inglis's forearm and he knocks it on. THEN he plants it.

It's like you guys all shut your eyes after the ball got knocked out.

Canard

Immortal
So your argument is that the act of kicking the ball from his grasp caused Inglis to knock it on??

Surely the kick dislodged the ball?

Karl

Juniors
Canard, I see what you're saying. I have watched the replay multiple times. Farah clearly plays at it with his foot/leg. It is knocked out of Inglis' hands and travels forward off his forearm/s. He then applies downward pressure on the loose ball.

A question - can it be a knock on when another player kicks the ball into your forearms and it travels forward from there?

Johns Magic

Referee
So your argument is that the act of kicking the ball from his grasp caused Inglis to knock it on??

Yes, the kick dislodged the ball. Obviously.

Then the ball went into Inglis's arm, and bounced off it before hitting the ground. And I'm not talking about simultaneously brushing or anything. The ball flew out of Inglis's hands, with clear separation, then hit his arm.

It's clear as day.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee

Ball comes off Farahs foot into GIs arm, travels forward and hits the ground.

Thats how i saw it, i'm without a doubt in my head thats what happened.

Karl

Juniors
And btw - Gus Gould is an idiot. "He's lost it cold." "He's lost the ball." "As far as I am concerned, its a dropped ball." Gus knew he was wrong and was trying to cover it because he didn't want to be wrong - "Surely they're not going to rule here that it was dislodged by a Blue's..." It was kicked/knocked out of his hands by Farah's boot. That is not dropping it. "That doesn't matter, its a lost ball, if you knock it on you knock it on."

Johns Magic

Referee

Exactly.

Whatever argument you have about Farah's challenge aside, Inglis knocked the ball on after. End of.

Karl

Juniors

So - is it a knock on if a ball comes off a players boot, into your forearm and goes forward? GI did not play at it when it came off Farah's boot, the distance is too short for that to be a possibility. Its in his hands, it's kicked out of his hands and into his forearms and travels forward.

Is that a knock on or not?

As I understand it - a knock-on occurs when, in an attempt to play at the ball, a player knocks the ball towards their opponents' dead ball line with their hands or arms and it touches either the ground, or an opposing player.

Or is it this?

10) Knock-On and Forward Pass

10.1) A player shall be penalised if he deliberately knocks-on or passes forward.
10.2) If, after knocking-on accidentally, the player knocking-on regains or kicks the ball before it touches the ground, a goal-post, a cross-bar or an opponent, then play shall be allowed to proceed. Otherwise play shall stop and a scrum be formed.
10.3) To charge-down a kick is permissible and is not deemed a knock-on.

Either way, I don't see how it can be a knock on. If it's not a knock on, its a fair try.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Exactly.

Whatever argument you have about Farah's challenge aside, Inglis knocked the ball on after. End of.

Hang on. The ball was only dislodged because of Farah's boot. It's like when a defender strips the ball and it goes forward only for the attacking player to regather. That's not called a knock-on to the attacking team. Why is this any different?

It's not like Farah's boot dislodged the ball and then GI juggled it before it landed. The ball came off his arm from Farah's boot.

betcats

Referee
So - is it a knock on if a ball comes off a players boot, into your forearm and goes forward? GI did not play at it when it came off Farah's boot, the distance is too short for that to be a possibility. Its in his hands, it's kicked out of his hands and into his forearms and travels forward.

Is that a knock on or not?

As I understand it - a knock-on occurs when, in an attempt to play at the ball, a player knocks the ball towards their opponents' dead ball line with their hands or arms and it touches either the ground, or an opposing player.

Or is it this?

10) Knock-On and Forward Pass

10.1) A player shall be penalised if he deliberately knocks-on or passes forward.
10.2) If, after knocking-on accidentally, the player knocking-on regains or kicks the ball before it touches the ground, a goal-post, a cross-bar or an opponent, then play shall be allowed to proceed. Otherwise play shall stop and a scrum be formed.
10.3) To charge-down a kick is permissible and is not deemed a knock-on.

Either way, I don't see how it can be a knock on. If it's not a knock on, its a fair try.

Trying to ground the ball is playing at it imo.

Johns Magic

Referee
Hang on. The ball was only dislodged because of Farah's boot.It's like when a defender strips the ball and it goes forward only for the attacking player to regather. That's not called a knock-on to the attacking team. Why is this any different?

Come on Grimebag. How many times does it need to be spelt out to you that Inglis knocked it on after the ball was dislodged and had travelled through the air. Use those reading skills.

Karl

Juniors
OK - are these the Rules?

http://arld.net/feature/ARL International Laws of the Game (2010).pdf

Look at Section 2, Glossary, definition of Knock On.

"KNOCK-ON means to knock the ball towards the opponents’ dead
ball line with hand or arm, while playing at the ball."

So, to be a knock on, Inglis must have somehow played at the ball in the fraction of a second between when it was kicked out of his hands by Farah and when it hit his forearms. Not remotely possible. It CAN'T, by definition, have been a knock on.

Therefore it was just a loose ball that was pounced on for a try.

Karl

Juniors
Trying to ground the ball is playing at it imo.

You're getting it mixed up. He was trying to ground it BUT It was kicked out of his hands, hit his forearm, went forward loose on the ground. No knockon because he didn't play at it OFF THE BOOT OF FARAH.

Suck as it might, messy as it was, it was clearly the right decision.

betcats

Referee
You're getting it mixed up. He was trying to ground it BUT It was kicked out of his hands, hit his forearm, went forward loose on the ground. No knockon because he didn't play at it OFF THE BOOT OF FARAH.

Suck as it might, messy as it was, it was clearly the right decision.

I disagree, you cant say that wasnt played out imo.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Come on Grimebag. How many times does it need to be spelt out to you that Inglis knocked it on after the ball was dislodged and had travelled through the air. Use those reading skills.

Please. The ball was dislodged from his grasp, and then bounced off his arm. He never had chance to play at it until it was on the turf in front of him. When he grounded it.

Johns Magic

Referee

Is that a knock on or not?.

Of course he was playing at the ball. I can't believe you've even brought that up.

Using your logic, everytime a highball is contested and a defending player touches it in the air first, the attacking player is "not playing at it" if he drops it because the ball isn't exactly where he thought it was when it hit him.

The entire play in question, Inglis is trying to plant the ball. He's certainly not trying to get out of the bloody way of it. Just because the ball isn't exactly where he expects it to be at some point doesn't mean his intention is no longer to ground the ball.

Latest posts