What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Try In The History Of Origin

tomdl

Bench
About to or has just?

Big difference there son.

If it's "about to" then Inglis clearly has developed some form of telekenetic powers whereby he can levitate balls (and pies) above his hands.

Incorrect.

Inglis knocks on and scores... :cool:

No knock on in the play before the first NSW try? Doubt it

docbrown

Coach
No knock on in the play before the first NSW try? Doubt it

Stay on topic.

This thread is solely about the Worst Try In The History of Origin which all historians now agree belongs to Greg Inglis with his Dropped Meat Pie routine.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Well I'd trust his opinion over a bunch of unedcuated redneck Qlders

The ole "uneducated redneck" slur.......NSW punctuation mark for the incredibly arse hurt.

cryingguy.jpg

:lol: ........ahhhhh

Big Pete

Referee
Eye roll all you want, Farah lead with the boot illegally to impede GI from scoring.

Basically the definition of the rule.

mikkolos

Juniors
Eye roll all you want, Farah lead with the boot illegally to impede GI from scoring.

Basically the definition of the rule.

I've been trying to bite my tongue about this whole situation but i just have to say something there. Farah's foot being in the way of Inglis putting the ball down is a professional foul? Just come on now really.
You may as well stop players from trying to tackle people from putting the ball down now as if they make contact with the ball they will have been responsible, not the player with the loose carry losing possession as soon as any contact is made.
f**king ridiculous and ruined the whole match. Even moreso than Bird's tackle of the year penalty which led directly to a try.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Referees boss Bill Harrigan admits video referee should not have awarded Greg Inglis try

Andrew Webster and Phil Rothfield
The Daily Telegraph
May 24, 2012 12:18AM

NSW coach Ricky Stuart last night revealed referees boss Bill Harrigan admitted video referee Sean Hampstead should never have awarded Greg Inglis's controversial 73rd-minute try.

Inglis clearly knocked on after the ball ricocheted from Robbie Farah's boot onto the Queensland centre's forearms.

It bounced forward into the Blues' in-goal before Inglis planted the ball.

Yet despite numerous replays, Hampstead awarded the try to Inglis, sealing the 18-10 victory for the Maroons.

"Bill Harrigan admitted that the Inglis try should never have been awarded," Stuart told The Daily Telegraph last night.

"And that Greg Bird should not have been penalised for the lifting tackle on Cooper Cronk in the first half.

"He also said Akuila Uate should have been given a penalty when he was elbowed in the head (by Cameron Smith)."

The questionable decisions followed on from Matt Cecchin's first-half sin-binning of Blues centre Michael Jennings.

Earlier at the post-match press conference, Stuart was reluctant to criticise the referees.

"We won't be commenting on any decision in regards to referees tonight," Stuart said through gritted teeth.

In the wash-up, Jennings was slapped with a grade-one contrary conduct charge for charging in and belting Maroons winger Brent Tate in the back of the head. He will be sidelined for a week regardless of his plea.

Worse still for the Blues, Queensland head to ANZ Stadium on June 13 looking to sweep the series and claim their seventh in a row.

History can wait. But about the Inglis try? With seven minutes to go, with his side holding on to a 12-10 lead, the Maroons freight train was awarded the try.

Gallen detonated when the decision eventually came down.

"This is getting out of control," bellowed NSW captain. "This is ridiculous where this is getting."

"He's ruled that it's come off the arm or the leg," referee Ben Cummins said to him.

"He f ... ing dropped the ball," Gallen fumed. "They've had the rub of the green all night. This is out of control. This is ridiculous where this is getting."

Oddly, Stuart said afterwards he believed it was a try.

Was he being sarcastic? Who would know?

"I think it was a try, actually," Stuart said.

"I knew they were going to give it a try.

"They didn't know. They kept having a look at it, but I was very confident they were going to award it."

Maroons prop Matt Scott had sparked the first-half brawl when he threw the ball at lock Greg Bird's head, with players from both sides quickly becoming involved.

Jennings seemingly ran in from interstate, a right-hand haymaker collecting the back of Tate's head.

"It was a silly action," Stuart conceded of Jennings rushing in.

"I won't comment further on that. I wish more people were involved.

"He was the ninth one to run in. A few of them must have popped out of the ground."

Gallen had a running battle with the officials all night, and you can expect a searching inquisition to start as soon as today.

As the players left the field at half-time, the anger of Gallen towards rookie referee Cecchin was palpable. He chased the whistleblower as they left the field and voiced his disapproval at some of his calls.

Stuart's barely veiled rage was not matched by Maroons coach Mal Meninga and his captain Cameron Smith.

Of the Inglis try, Meninga said: "Yes, that's the rules. You can strike at the ball but then it is play on. It was a fair try. Is that the story? Trying to be controversial?"

Meninga described the Jennings punch that led to his sin-binning as a "deliberate act".

Smith agreed: "Jennings came in as the third man and got him in the back of the head."

Said Stuart: "The first six questions you asked Mal were about the referee. Most of you here are experienced rugby league journalists, and have seen a lot of football. Write what Mal and you think."

What did we think? It doesn't really matter. They were two decisions that decided the game.

Doubtless, though, Stuart and his players have searched for years to work out how to beat Queensland.

Now they will think they have to beat the refs, too.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-greg-inglis-try/story-e6frexv9-1226365092333

Karl

Juniors
Why would Harrigan deliberately sandbag his own refs? When did he have this conversation with Ricky? Has he made these statements publicly?

Can someone post up these rules that relate to the circumstances of the try along with links to the replay footage? I don't know who is right on this point, but if this thread is going to discuss the try, it would be good to have all of the information..

Johns Magic

Referee
Even if Farah kicks it out it goes into Inglis's arms and then goes forwards, which is a knock on for any idiot Queenslanders who don't know the rules.

Exactly. Everyone should go back and actually watch it. Farah kicks it out of Inglis's hands. Then it goes into Inglis's arm, and bounces onto the ground, where he then dives on it.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Just because the game was played in Fumbleball land doesn't mean we should be rewarding Fumbles as tries. Terrible decision.

Lowdown

Juniors
No actual quotes from Harrigon...it would be hilarious if he now comes out and contradicts Sticky.

I thought it was a clear try. Farah struck at the ball to prevent a try. Play on. Try everyday of the week.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still dirty on the penalty for Birds so called lifting tackle, we see that in Origin year after year and players generally get a pat on the back for a dominant tackle.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No actual quotes from Harrigon...it would be hilarious if he now comes out and contradicts Sticky.

I thought it was a clear try. Farah struck at the ball to prevent a try. Play on. Try everyday of the week.

Never a try, the rule was brought in to stop the sliding feet first tackles which this clearly wasn't.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Yeah I probably would have been dirty had it gone against my team. It's just fortunate that it didn't decide the outcome. Although if the wailing and sobbing going on here is any indication, it may as well have decided this series and the last 6.

Twizzle said:
I'm still dirty on the penalty for Birds so called lifting tackle, we see that in Origin year after year and players generally get a pat on the back for a dominant tackle

He took him past the horizontal. That's the very definition of a penalty for dangerous position.