What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would a NY sevens event be a good idea

roopy

Referee
I notice that Americans seem to like sevens Rugby in both League and Union.
I wonder if a sevens comp in NY for International sides wouldn't be a bad idea.
It would give a lot of exposure to the code in America and bring players from around the World to America on a regular basis - which would also mean many would consider playing a season in America I think.

I can see many advantages to a NY sevens comp - it would just need a generous sponser to get it off the ground.

Big Bunny

Juniors
It's a good idea, although my own preference is for 9's. But either way, if it happens its still good.

roopy

Referee
This is the point where exjnrkiwi should come in - call me some names - and make a list of 2000 reasons why it is the worst idea anyone has ever had.

I wonder where the old guy is spreading his bile at the moment - I miss him a bit.

Jeffles

Bench
I'm not EJK but I can say something. Your last line in the initial post says it all. COST!!!! We are a sport with little financial resources. Maybe now isn't the time to explore this.

hot dog

Juniors
We tried it a couple years ago in Media. The fight won. Not too much success.

I would love to see one of two things:
We put a League side in the NY sevens next year and win it easily or
We have a 8 team League tourney @ the NY Sevens; with our final being played before the Union final.

Let the hundreds of fans and participants see the real deal.

joshreading

Staff member
I think the AMNRL needs to run a League Nines comp and invite as many UNION sides as possible. It is an opportunity for them to give it a go in some form.

If they could scrap up some good prize money and even coverage it would get clubs I think.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Josh:

I think you are right. The Amnrl needs to work hand and hand with rugby union in the US. I think most US union guys would enjoy playing league. The Amnrl needs to do whatever poss. to get a possative Union/league relationship

Tomahawk

Big Bunny

Juniors
Tomahawk said:
Josh:

I think you are right. The Amnrl needs to work hand and hand with rugby union in the US. I think most US union guys would enjoy playing league. The Amnrl needs to do whatever poss. to get a possative Union/league relationship

Tomahawk

Ok, maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't the AMNRL already have a working relationship with union in the areas that both codes are played? From all that has been posted about the problems facing the AMNRL, union to me seems to be the biggest one. Currently the league has a semi stable base of players from which to call on, but don't players at clubs like Media who have dual code commitments generally place union first? Frankly, I only see benefits in bothering with union when establishing a new club, not in keeping one afloat. If rugby league needs to continue to suckle at a union clubs teat then perhaps they should just fade away until a serious club can replace them. Is the AMNRL holding back on developing the game in schools because they are frightened about upsetting the union with their own school development programs? Because that is the impression that I get.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Bunny

One of the reasons the Mantaray's did not did as well as expected last season was because of a disagreement between the Mantaray's and Media Rugby Union. Union teams do not want to loose any players to league teams. Certain players on the Mantaray's were told by Media Rugby Union you play Union or League, not both. However, this does not happen in all area's. The Knights, Slayers, and Wildcats all had players that played union before playing league. Hot dog I hope I am correct. Would not want to mislead anyone!!!

The relationshio between rugby union and rugby league in the US is not as peachy as it is lead to be. Union teams do not want to loose players to league teams. Even know the two seasons are at different times.

As on development in schools, I have done clinics in area schools with Dave Nui. So this is happening. Things are coming along slower then people think. I do not think the AMNRL is scared of upsetting rugby union clubs either. Just getting the wrong vibes Bunny.

You can not just bring a sport into the US that the people do not understand, have never played, or even seen. The few people in the US when you say rugby first impression is rugby union. As you know and everyone else knows Union and League are two different monsters. So give the AMNRL time.

Tomahawk

Big Bunny

Juniors
Tomahawk, thanks for replying. Whilst my concern about the AMNRL's direction will continue to be strong, it is good to know that there is some form of schools development taking place. However I can't see the possibility of clubs like Media ever being anything other than a token member of the league, until they choose to stand on their own two feet and not bow down to a bully. Players shouldn't have clubs telling them that they can't play another sport unless that club is paying a large sum for the exclusive right to the players services.

hot dog

Juniors
Bunny - Old Blue (Superleague) had a problem with the Knights taking Nigel Dacre (who ultimately earned Emerging Nations World XIII honors), Haden James and Kazoo Seto to Russia.

NYAC (Superleague) gave me 2 seasons of shit for choosing a Tomahawks test versus Ireland over a Superleague match.

It depends on the players. If the they are that good, the teams will fall into place and let them do what they want to do. I think Nigel told Old Blue just what you would have siad Bunny, "F#^% off, until you start paying me."

If I remember correctly, Media always had a bit of a struggle because, as you correctly point out, the footy team never established its own legs. I think it came to a head when quite a few of the boys who played both codes went to Russia with the Tomahawks and Chris Cahill (Fud) tore his knee to the tune of a complete reconstruction. He was a stud for them and they blew up.

I have to say, the Wildcats' sort of "Union partner", the Connecticut Yankees, have completely embraced League and appreciate the benefits that go along with it: increased fitness, defense and ball skills, increase in skilled imports to stay and play for the Union side in the fall. ALso, I think they picked up some pointers on raising sponsorship $ and developing their website too. We have a great relationship.

The bottom line is if the footy team develops its own identity, they have no problems and most Union players are very intrigued. If they try to feed off the Union clubs, well you knw......

Latest posts