What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would Jennings @ FB, Gordon @ Center, Coote @ 5'8 work?

I got asked this question last night and it got me thinking, would a combination switch between the players work for the Panthers or would it be a disaster?

Gordon seems like a very handy FB & winger but I think he could marvel @ center. Jennings seems to not get enough ball, maybe putting him @ FB to be able to use his speed during broken play to his advantage, whilst Coote could continue his skills and find himself at 5'8 in the future.

Panfas

Juniors
Jennings has failed in the past when given the opportunity at FB. He is a centre and should be left there!

Certainly jennings needs to get his hands on the ball more.

The lack of a game plan in order to make this happen is f**king outrageous.

Gordon at fullback is a winner and he needs to stay there.

Coote is too much of a talent not to be in first grade , so i would love to see a plan put in place to move him into the halves. Wont be easy but its likely our best option.

mxlegend99

Referee
I would love to see jenko as part of out fullback rotation. Coote at 5/8, gordon and jennings rotate between fullback and right centre. Tahu to play at left centre, simmons and tighe /earl on the wings, not being rotated at fullback.

Jennings should only be at the back when the opposition are pinned in their own half. I wouldnt want him contesting kicks, but he would be great if he didnt have to contest bombs. Gordon defending at right centre in place of jennings would help keep them pinned and buy jennings time and room in returning kicks.

I dont see why Earl and Simmons were rotated with Flash. Makes no sense wjen neither are as dangerous as Gordon with the ball. Atleast Jenko is. Broken field kick returns would allow him a bit of space, something our halves arent providing.

soc123_au

Staff member
Sounds like a good plan MX. Why is it the brains trust at Penrith can't see it.

panfashark

Juniors
I got asked this question last night and it got me thinking, would a combination switch between the players work for the Panthers or would it be a disaster?

Gordon seems like a very handy FB & winger but I think he could marvel @ center. Jennings seems to not get enough ball, maybe putting him @ FB to be able to use his speed during broken play to his advantage, whilst Coote could continue his skills and find himself at 5'8 in the future.

You state that Jennings does get enough ball playing at centre. Why then would you put your best player of the last two seasons at centre and starve him of the ball. Gordon in my opinion is playing in the position that suits him/the team best.
Why does Jennings not get enough ball? I reckon he is getting enough ball,he is just doing nothing with it.
I think that Jennings has the Blake Ferguson curse, been reading far too many newspapers and it has gone to his head.

mxlegend99

Referee
You state that Jennings does get enough ball playing at centre. Why then would you put your best player of the last two seasons at centre and starve him of the ball. Gordon in my opinion is playing in the position that suits him/the team best.
Why does Jennings not get enough ball? I reckon he is getting enough ball,he is just doing nothing with it.
I think that Jennings has the Blake Ferguson curse, been reading far too many newspapers and it has gone to his head.
He sees enough ball. But he never gets early ball or put into gaps. Rotate him and Gordon at the right times and you can get them both returning kicks, flash a bigger role in defence and defence might be more hesitant in marking up so strongly on one or the other.

Fibroman

First Grade
Coote at FB in defence and Jennings switch to FB in attack with Coote into the centres. Gordon should be playing in the centres for 80 minutes. Too good a player to be standing out on the pick and swing all game.

Doomednow

Bench
Rest assured that once Coote is fit Gorddon will be placed on the wing again. I cannot understand what is going on at the club.

EzyG

Juniors
Coote is an intelligent player with the ball.
similar to presto in some ways.

Why not try him at 7 or 6 ?

Agreed: Gordon is hitting top form at fullback & has the size to make an impact in defense. No more small #1's

Fibroman

First Grade
I think Coote has lost a yard of pace since his has bulked up with the weights. Gordon definately returns the ball better and looks to be a much more dangerous ball runner.

watatank

Coach
Would Gordon at 1, Coote at 6 work? Maybe have them swap roles in defence so Coote doesn't have 110kg forwards running at him all day

btw when is Coote expected back?

pantherz9103

First Grade
I struggle to feel much excitement in the build up to Penrith games anymore and it's all because of ME. Watching us play really can be a chore sometimes, not because of the losing but because of the boring style of playing. This is supposed to be 'entertainment'.

boxa777

Coach
In addition to the inept service by the halves of penrIth, waterhouse completely stifles the limited opportunities Jennings gets. He positions himself way too wide for an edge backrower. Jennings and Simmons literally have a couple of metres together to work with.

What a waste of a big contract Jennings is. An absolute weapon that never gets quality ball. Like having a Ferrari but never driving it.

It's been happening for way too long for someone not to be accountable for it.

*Sandy*

First Grade

He needs to rove more imo. Go looking for it, don't wait for it. But maybe Elliott doesnt like that?

I also think that the try drought is getting into his head and overthinking it too much.

Fibroman

First Grade
Waterhouse, Purtell, Coote, McKendry, Wade Graham all on the p155 at Panthers till 4am. Training liver and kidneys. lol

maple_69

Bench
All probably better ideas but why should we have to put these great players in different positions and experiment just to accomodate 2 halves who can not get the ball wide.
Burns, great attitude, great in defence, rubbish attacking game.
Walsh, great short kicking game, not much else going on. I see him as having the potential to be a good first grade halfback but needs a better wingman and coach.

Good teams/halves find ways to get good players involved. It shouldn't matter where they play.

murraymob

Coach
Would Gordon at 1, Coote at 6 work? Maybe have them swap roles in defence so Coote doesn't have 110kg forwards running at him all day

btw when is Coote expected back?

that is what i would try.Jennings if woefull at fullback.Gordon has the spot leave him there.Coote at 5/8 is wirth a try Burns to half.Walsh to windsor.Walsh has a real fear of running the ball that just not acceptable at first grade level

Interesting on the roast today they made a big point of how jennings only touched the ball for the first time in attack @ the 26 min mark.

This is the biggest outrage of our season so far , jennings lack of ball needs addressing instantly.

And part of that has to be him going looking for the ball.

Latest posts