What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would Perth ever produce talent?

Gobsmacked

Bench
yawn here we go again. No ones getting culled, yes we know you dont like me or GROTD opinions, yes its boring as f**k to hear from your point and from ours. We get it, put on ignore if you dont like rather than spam every thread up.

Back to the topic. That's your opinion Gobsmacked and fair enough based on performance so far. But change the environment and change the performance. As far as I know there is nothing different in genetics or in the water in NSW and Qlnd so talent development must be down to two things. 1. Participation. The more kids playing the game, the greater the chance of talent coming to the top. 2. Elite Development opportunity. The better coaches, trainers, nutritionists etc you have the better the development of the talent found.

So there's your answer, get more kids playing the game and coach the best of them better.

You may not know but in the early 90's we had 10k registered players in WA with just 1million people here. That should be our goal for the future in terms of participation. Then investment in the elite training. Then we will see increased 1st grade players. But unless we get an NRL team neither of those things will happen.
There's a lot of expats over there also which helps. I definitely think we should go to Perth but not before NZ.
I'd love to see another NZ. But after that I think we should go Perth and Adelaide in the same year to round out the comp.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's a lot of expats over there also which helps. I definitely think we should go to Perth but not before NZ.
I'd love to see another NZ. But after that I think we should go Perth and Adelaide in the same year to round out the comp.
for another place of who should be next, lets try for a change to keep this thread on topic of player development :)

Anyone have a sense of how many new players join the first team squad each season from a clubs own jnr pathway system? I suspect it might only be 1 or 2 for most clubs but I cant really find any stats on it?

It'd also be really interesting to know if the NRL or clubs have ever studied how many kids you need playing U16's to have X amount of talent come through to U18's then first grade? I wonder if there is any sort of ratio? Or is it quite random and depends how lucky you get regards kids born with talent that year? Are there examples of small Jnr participation rates but still on par 1st graders coming from that area?
I know NZ will be different as they are physically most suited to RL therefore more likely to make it with less kids playing. But what about in Australia?

How many NRL players has Sutherland produced?

I'm not talking about juniors Cronulla poached from other districts. I'm talking about kids born and raised in Sutherland who played their football for a junior RL club within the city.

mongoose

Coach
what is a junior? - seems to be different definitions. Gould thinks any player who played in a teams under 16s and under 19s grades can be claimed as a local junior lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
what is a junior? - seems to be different definitions. Gould thinks any player who played in a teams under 16s and under 19s grades can be claimed as a local junior lol.
depends if you're stuck in the 70's or accept that in modern day sports kids will sign for whoever gives them the best options. For me I measure it by U18's - NRL debut.
Anything before that is largely not an NRLs club responsibility beyond what all clubs should be doing to support kids taking up the game and scouting for the best of them.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I don't agree with the OP but I think he makes a valid point about Victoria. Questions need to be asked about what is going on there. They have produced maybe 3 or 4 NRL players in 24 years.... Perhaps the NRL needs to offer some kind of special incentive to the Storm for every home grown junior they bring into the squad, if that's what it's going to take. It seems like they have no reason to invest heavily in local development because Melbourne is an appealing destination for a lot of players so it's easy for them to poach talent from other areas.
I have said on here before though - I doubt the NRL gives 2 shits about Rugby League in Victoria. As long as players are steadily coming out of NSW and QLD and Origin remains the highly profitable centrepiece it is then the NRL doesn't give a f**k about any other regions.
They've produced a few more than 3 or 4, according to the below there are 13 active professional players that were either born in Melbourne or played their junior footy in Melbourne and were recruited from there. You'll notice that five of the 13 started their pro career in 2020, 2021 or 2022 meaning the pace of development is picking up.

On top of those 13 current players, there are 9 retired players from Melbourne listed also.

Canard

Immortal
They've produced a few more than 3 or 4, according to the below there are 13 active professional players that were either born in Melbourne or played their junior footy in Melbourne and were recruited from there. You'll notice that five of the 13 started their pro career in 2020, 2021 or 2022 meaning the pace of development is picking up.

On top of those 13 current players, there are 9 retired players from Melbourne listed also.

Today I learned JTB is a Victorian!

Yep funny how little media coverage this gets to be honest.