What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would Shane Bond Make the all time ODI World XI?

Shane Bond - World XI material?

• Total voters

Blaze

Juniors
If it isn't shocking enough that a kiwi could possibly hold the tag as the greatest ODI bowler ever (or at least be in discussions) then what about the fact that he didn't even debut until he was in his late 20's? He was basically just your average domestic bowler who never really had much hype surrounding him, and only got a chance in the NZ team due to a number of injuries to our bowlers at the time. Sure our bowling stocks were ok at the time, but it wasn't as if we had massive depth. Guys like Martin, Franklin and Tuffey all made their debuts before him.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He has a great record but geeze i couldn't have him in an all time side, Akram,Mcgrath,Garner,Waqar,Ambrose,Pollock,Lee just of the top of my head. I think you would have to play at least 100 games to be a chance.

there's a favourite scene of mine in the blues brothers ... it's when elwood is tyring to convince jake to go see the penguin ... he replies;

no ... f**kin ... way

Blaze

Juniors
Agreed with hiney... Garner, Ambrose, Waqar, Wasim, Lee, McGrath... Pollock, Donald/Ntini, Saqlain...

hmm Saqlain is irrelevant as he is a spinner. Ntini isn't even close to any of the other names mentioned as an ODI bowler imo.

Assuming you were picking five bowlers then I would go for the 4 quicks, 1 spinner balance.

Pollock would def be in my side as he provides batting. Him and McGrath are playing for the same spot, and Pollock's batting gets him over the line despite McGrath being the better bowler imo.

My spinner would be Warne as he was a big match bowler, and was always a chance to break partnerships.

Akram would be in there as he was the ultimate swing bowler, and provides something different as a left-armer.

So I have line and length, swing, and spin sorted.

From there I would look for a strike bowler and a bounce bowler.

My bounce bowler would obviously be Ambrose

The strike bowler position is hotly contested I guess. There is only one spot for either Bond, Lee, or Waqar... I reckon it's out of Bond and Lee because Waqar was too inconsistent.

It's probably my kiwi bias, but I reckon Bond gets in. The main reason being that Bond had an unbelievable record against Aus (the best). 11 games 34 wickets at an average of 13.88

(note that I excluded Garner from the discussion because I never saw him bowl... he would obviously be a strong candidate just looking at his record!)

Pollock
Wasim
Warne
Bond
Ambrose

Blaze

Juniors
do you see the irony of what you have said :lol:

What? I am aware of the fact that he has a fantastic record, but cannot compare him to the other players (who also all have great records) because I never saw him bowl... obviously those of us that saw Garner bowl will probably include him in discussions.