What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would Shane Bond Make the all time ODI World XI?

Shane Bond - World XI material?

• Total voters

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If you we're picking an all time ODI line up Garner would nearly be the first bowler picked.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
What? I am aware of the fact that he has a fantastic record, but cannot compare him to the other players (who also all have great records) because I never saw him bowl... obviously those of us that saw Garner bowl will probably include him in discussions.

well the title of the thread says "all time"

id love to see your all time TEST side, with no bradman, sobers, richards etc.... ;-)

shiznit

Coach
this is a joke...

bond will be nowhere near this.... there should be a qualification that you need to have played atleast 100 games...

if your gonna include bond in sides like this you may aswell say Aaron Redmonds old man is NZ's greatest ever test batsman... averaged 81.50 in tests,,,

JB

Juniors
I'm not sure about all time, but definitely of the modern game (last 5-10 years or so). McGrath, Pollock, Bond......they'd have to be up there.

He was great when he wasn't injured though. A 154k inswinging yorker to get rid of Gilchrest will always stay with me. Yeah, that record against the Aussies. He had the wood on them the way we havent seen since Hadlee.

OVP

Coach
Id go with ...

Holding
Garner
Marshall
Roberts or Ambrose for the young-uns :)

That'd pretty much destroy any batting attack, anytime, ever.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
world class bowler but injuries ruined a good career

for him to be a chance he would have needed a bit more longevity much like paddles, new zealand's greatest ever bowler

Iafeta

Referee
I would pick Ewan Chatfield over Bond tbh

Chats was a very good ODI bowler. Kept it very tight while Hadlee went through them from the other end. Average of 25.8 and economy rate of 3.57 per over says he goes well.

They we're almost as good as Gavin Larsen..............

Gav was known in NZ as the mailman, because he always delivered 10 good quality overs. 3.76 runs per over for Gavin.

was jeremy cooney a bowler, batsman or allrounder?

i vaguely remember his doing the lot

Batting all rounder. The praying mantis was again a good underrated cricketer. Built up a good record over the years and was a good captain.

I'm assuming a lot this is a p!ss take on dibbly dobby bowlers, but New Zealand through the 1980s were a very fine international side. They beat the West Indies in a couple of series, won in England, destroyed Australia home and away. The likes of Coney and Chatfield were unsung heroes, but they hella gutsy, just like when they knocked off a very good partnership (I think 50 odd) for the last wicket of the match to beat Pakistan in Dunedin. Chatfield really struggled with the bat, but he gutsed it out and almost Steve Waugh like Coney had faith in him.

Iafeta

Referee
I don't know if Bond would get in, but he'd be mighty close...

The three pace bowlers I would definitely have though would be Joel Garner... those yorkers from 7 foot high were impossible, Malcolm Marshall, just pace and venom, and Wasim Akram... pace and swing

typicalfan

Coach
Shane Bond isnt near those three names let alone a host of others. He hasnt had to prove himself over a long period of time like guys such as McGrath and Pollock who would also be infront

nibbs

Bench
if bond was australian, english, or indian. perhaps part of some all conquering side, it'd be a different story. he'd be held in the same breath as garner and co. quite simply, his stats match up with the best, in an era where batting as been the dominant force. quite frankly, he should be there.

typicalfan

Coach
Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis arent in an all conquering side, but they were all conquering bowlers

TheParraboy

Staff member
if bond was australian, english, or indian. perhaps part of some all conquering side, it'd be a different story. he'd be held in the same breath as garner and co. quite simply, his stats match up with the best, in an era where batting as been the dominant force. quite frankly, he should be there.

i dount it very much, thats just sympathy talk

if an all time test side was being chosen, you wouldnt pick michael hussey in the side, no room whatsoever, though he has the 2nd highest test average and played around 30 tests. but according to some because of his record, he should be there? lol

however, if Mhussey was in a kiwi side of the last few years, then im sure some kiwis would claim he should be there, lol

icewind

Juniors
what about Lillee?

Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Ponting/Jones
Symonds
Richards
Bevan
Pollock
Warne
Akram
Ambrose
Lillee

That would have to destroy many an attack/batting line up.

grab the man a tissue ... he'd probably make the team and then get injured on the team bus on the way to the first meeting ... problem solved

8Ball

First Grade

...:lol:

Meth

Staff member
I am a patriotic Kiwi and a fan of Bond- but there's no way he would make the ODI World XI

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Bond would be close

He's definitely better than his immediate competition (similar bowlers) in Waqar and Lee- they were/are both much too expensive to make any all-time team.

Latest posts