What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you Pay Talagi $600k a Season

Dragon David

First Grade
They have buckleys of landing Slater. He has said many times he is happy where he is ad signed on for Qld for 3 years not too long ago as coaching Origin suits him more than a full time NRL coaching role.
I think Billy is just happy to be the Maroons SOO coach for the next 3 years and spend his spare time with his wife, Nicole running their Slater Thoroughbred business out of Melbourne.

Coaching full-time in the NRL would mean finding accommodation in the Parra or its surrounds and being away from his other business which would be a bit much I think.

Anyway, money speaks all languages - just like Bennett getting paid $3.6 M over 3 years to again coach the Bunnies - pretty good salary that's for sure.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Talagi has played how many games in NRL? Seriously. Give this kid a chance. 80% in only 5 or so games in a team that is playing absolutely shocking is not bad.
THANK YOU.

I know I'm a massive proponent of defending inexperienced NRL players, so I don't mean to sound like a broken record. I do have to say though, it really annoys me when I see a player who's played about 3 games get absolutely shat on by posters on here and other forums after making a few mistakes in the top flight. The change from flegg/reserves to first grade is unbelievable. It's basically like touch footy at times in those grades so jumping up to the top flight with all eyes on you is an incredibly difficult task, particularly for young guys. Rugby League is a sport with immense technicality to it, so it's important to be patient with young players who are still learning the ins and outs of the sport, while also adapting to playing against fully developed grown men who've been doing it for ages. Re Talagi I think he's been really bloody good. He's made a good number of PCM and broken plenty of tackles and shown a lot of confidence in attack which is incredible at this age, and his constant effort alone shows that he's going to be a real star and that his defence can and most likely will improve drastically.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Saints get Blaize it will really soften the blow for me for losing Zac. I really hope we can get this kid. In the next 4 years we will have a little dual of Blaize v Zac to see who ended up with the better deal.

Plus 600k for Blaize as opposed to paying 850k for Zac. That is a huge saving. Make it happen Saints.

THANK YOU.

I know I'm a massive proponent of defending inexperienced NRL players, so I don't mean to sound like a broken record. I do have to say though, it really annoys me when I see a player who's played about 3 games get absolutely shat on by posters on here and other forums after making a few mistakes in the top flight. The change from flegg/reserves to first grade is unbelievable. It's basically like touch footy at times in those grades so jumping up to the top flight with all eyes on you is an incredibly difficult task, particularly for young guys. Rugby League is a sport with immense technicality to it, so it's important to be patient with young players who are still learning the ins and outs of the sport, while also adapting to playing against fully developed grown men who've been doing it for ages. Re Talagi I think he's been really bloody good. He's made a good number of PCM and broken plenty of tackles and shown a lot of confidence in attack which is incredible at this age, and his constant effort alone shows that he's going to be a real star and that his defence can and most likely will improve drastically.
100% and well articulated

It's the money V's the experience that then becomes the only concern

TheRev

First Grade
Earlier this year it was probably a 2024 origin winger coming into his prime vs 19yr old prospect.. Originally I wasn't a fan of the swap, but the kid is much better than I thought.. And I think talagis ceiling is much much higher than Zac's.. Plus he is far more skilled than lomax, and will keep a number of players very honest.. Im alright with it even though we will miss lomax..

That said we haven't got the deal locked in yet.. Lets hope we don't lose out yet again...

Draginzaaar

Bench
Earlier this year it was probably a 2024 origin winger coming into his prime vs 19yr old prospect.. Originally I wasn't a fan of the swap, but the kid is much better than I thought.. And I think talagis ceiling is much much higher than Zac's.. Plus he is far more skilled than lomax, and will keep a number of players very honest.. Im alright with it even though we will miss lomax..

That said we haven't got the deal locked in yet.. Lets hope we don't lose out yet again...
He's waiting to see who the new Parra coach is before deciding apparently.

TheRev

First Grade
Podcast today is saying Talagis manager (Moses) has been agitating for Arthur to get the flick for a while.. so it is possible that now hes gone.. Moses might flip around on his player leaving.. ive no doubt hes been using Blaize to put pressure on the club all year.

But anyway wait and see... I think we are making the right moves, but even if we get him we have to survive the cooling off period, nothing is certain anymore until cooling offs are finalised.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Podcast today is saying Talagis manager (Moses) has been agitating for Arthur to get the flick for a while.. so it is possible that now hes gone.. Moses might flip around on his player leaving.. ive no doubt hes been using Blaize to put pressure on the club all year.

But anyway wait and see... I think we are making the right moves, but even if we get him we have to survive the cooling off period, nothing is certain anymore until cooling offs are finalised.

Maybe Moses was waiting to see if the Eels signed Bennett, now that's passed and there's uncertainty around who will coach the next year and beyond, there's every reason to be moving on. Plus, there's also the fact of do they, the Eels, go for an experienced coach, a rookie or Mc85?

Young players need certainty in their traing and development, Talagi is no different.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Talagi would be crazy not to want to join Flanno. Look at how Val Holmes turned out in his early years under Shane. Flanno even made Bird look like a star at the Sharks. I really hope we can get this guy over the line.

His signing may start a few other highly rated juniors jump across. Hasn't Moses and Flanno got a good relationship going. Shane's no comment smile has me feeling positive.

TheRev

First Grade
I guess with May potentially canned from the Panthers or the Roosters on the hunt.. there is competition now for a 2025 centre.. but realistically I think Blaizes immaturity was the part that gave us a chance.. the big clubs im sure wouldnt promise him a 1st grade spot... but every extra game he plays for parra.. the less that advantage becomes.

Anyway patience patience.. onward to the dogs game tonight.

justadragon

Bench

Its a sad day for the NRL when you have managers determining the employment of coaches.

True_Believer

Juniors
THANK YOU.

I agree that that forum can be brutal with players (both new and established). It annoys me as well when in one game a player makes a single mistake or doesn't perform the way someone was expecting and people demand they be dropped or released from the club immediately. It's unrealistic as players are unable to maintain perfection week in week out and they drop in and out of form. However we must remember that although defending players and giving juniors a go is fine, we have to acknowledge that there is far more to coaches choices and decisions than what we see.

Personally I see some good improvement in Sloan and I think he's really knuckled down - he's really changed direction under Flanno - hence why he continues to get picked. But based on recent reports that the Tigers are already apparently trying to offload Bud, we have to acknowledge that Flanno may have made the right choice there and that there is something obviously amiss with him off the field. He's shown glimpses of brilliance, but being only 3 months into his new contract and them shopping him around is pretty telling. The forum went into meltdown when we released him - but it's increasingly looking like that was the right decision.