What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wWho would you rather sign for 5 years, SBW or Dave Taylor

Brutus

Referee
Kid Dynamite said:
1, Injuries - Taylor is big and bulky and less likely to gain serious injuries I think.

And Michael Weyman is???

Injuries can get anyone whether big or small.

For some reason I look at Taylor and chronic injuries come to mind. I don't know why.

ouwet

Bench
mxlegend99 said:
I'd take SBW.

He and Pritchard would make an awesome second row. Our front row is already really good. SBW is also a proven match winner.

Although i'd happily take both.

Looks good for NZ.

Nathan B

Juniors
[FKN-SIK] said:
Did you see how many times he dropped the ball after that? :lol:

His game reminded me of some of Sonny's past games. Provided big impact off the bench, do some spectacular things, and sour it a touch with a couple of drops. He didn't look too hard to handle when carting the ball up himself, but he's more than a handful when running off a smart ball at isolated defenders.

The guy is huge and looks to be very talented. I'll be keen to see how he handles 1. the dreaded second-year syndrome, and 2. a much bigger workload (i.e. starting the game), which might be tough for such a big guy.

caylo

Bench
well for parramatta id love SBW, we have 4-5 possible players that are genuine front rowers. SBW is also a mile ahead of taylor. But they do have one thing in common (to be honest alot of player have this but-esp forward for some reason) and that is....

being hit by a bulldozer by the name of tahu.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Both gun players, SBW is better, Taylor had more chances to show his stuff last night- that about sums it up imo

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Different sorts of players too, so it's not like they are in direct competition

Looks like they both have terrific speed, and in a pure contest of strength I'd take Taylor- I daresay he has more leg drive, more upper body strength, and is just straight up bigger

I daresay that both can offload, but NO-ONE can offload like SBW

However, Taylor is never going to go to the line and throw cut-out passes, or play 2 wide and put centres and wingers into gaps with short balls, like SBW can. And he is never going to have the agility or footwork of SBW.

Taylor's size is a great strength, but I think in the end SBW's build is so much more athletic and agile that it allows him to play a more varied role on the field, ideal for a wide running backrower.

jc155776

Coach
Thierry Henry said:
However, Taylor is never going to go to the line and throw cut-out passes, or play 2 wide and put centres and wingers into gaps with short balls, like SBW can. And he is never going to have the agility or footwork of SBW.

Taylor's size is a great strength, but I think in the end SBW's build is so much more athletic and agile that it allows him to play a more varied role on the field, ideal for a wide running backrower.

I have played against Taylor when he was at Yeppoon and believe me, he can put in cut out passes, short balls etc. He was playing 5/8 in year 11 and killed it. Can kick the ball a f**ken mile and grubber and regather.

He is that damn good but you wont see it for a couple of years while his instructions are to hit it up and hit holes while he is still finding his feet.

Wiki Worriers

Juniors
Yeh and imagine what sbw was doing back in auck.What grade did you play against him.Anyway was at the game last night and both were awesome but i would go for sonny reason being with ten minutes to go scores are locked up who would you think will produce something out of the ordinary to get you home SBW

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
jc155776 said:
I have played against Taylor when he was at Yeppoon and believe me, he can put in cut out passes, short balls etc. He was playing 5/8 in year 11 and killed it. Can kick the ball a f**ken mile and grubber and regather.

He is that damn good but you wont see it for a couple of years while his instructions are to hit it up and hit holes while he is still finding his feet.

I'm sure everyone in the NRL can throw a cut out pass, but it's never going to be his job. He's 114kg (I reckon he's more like 120kg but anyway) and not getting any smaller. The guy is always gonna be a prop. I'm sure in the lower grades he could play any position he wanted, but in the NRL he is not a playmaker.

Dazzat

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:
I'm sure everyone in the NRL can throw a cut out pass, but it's never going to be his job. He's 114kg (I reckon he's more like 120kg but anyway) and not getting any smaller. The guy is always gonna be a prop. I'm sure in the lower grades he could play any position he wanted, but in the NRL he is not a playmaker.

But the point is he has the ability ... others on this thread suggested that SBW was superior in off-loading ability, which from what I've seen of Taylor in the Queensland Cup, isn't true. Sonny's just had more chance to show his stuff so far in the NRL.

Both are great players, and I'm sure they'll be facing off in Aust/NZ tests in the coming years.

I've seen Taylor do things I've never seen a prop do before ... on a regular basis. In the Queensland Cup I've seen him score 40 metre tries, grubber kick and cover defend.

I guess what I like more about Taylor than SBW is the work rate and the body language on the field. Taylor just exudes enthusiasm while Sonny Bill seems a little casual at times.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Dazzat said:
But the point is he has the ability ... others on this thread suggested that SBW was superior in off-loading ability, which from what I've seen of Taylor in the Queensland Cup, isn't true. Sonny's just had more chance to show his stuff so far in the NRL.

Both are great players, and I'm sure they'll be facing off in Aust/NZ tests in the coming years.

I've seen Taylor do things I've never seen a prop do before ... on a regular basis. In the Queensland Cup I've seen him score 40 metre tries, grubber kick and cover defend.

I guess what I like more about Taylor than SBW is the work rate and the body language on the field. Taylor just exudes enthusiasm while Sonny Bill seems a little casual at times.

Yeah ok, because of what you've seen in the Queensland Cup you can now safely say that Dave Taylor is a better offloader than the best in the world :roll:

Disagree about the work rate as imo SBW is one of the keenest, most all-action players around, but each to his own

Fibroman

First Grade
There's a kid out at Penrith by the name of Sam McKendry. 18 old, played SG Ball this year and has been promoted to Premier League the past week or two. He will be something special.

Regarding Taylor and SBW? SBW has got the runs on the board.

badav

Bench
Sonny Bill is going to win every time. Hes been around for 3 more seasons than Dave Taylor.