What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wWho would you rather sign for 5 years, SBW or Dave Taylor

Dogaholic

First Grade
salivor said:
A much easier question to ask would've been: is geniusation a pre-requisite to become a Bulldogs fan?

Coming from a bronco whose sister is probably his mother :lol: :crazy:

salivor

First Grade
Nathan B said:
I'd love to say this is no contest, but I haven't seen this Taylor kid play. But a few of points...

1. Sonny is currently only 21 years of age. (Although not for long.) In five years time he still might not have reached his peak.

2. Sonny has only played ~55 games. The guy is still learning how to play the game and what he's capable of. Yes, he's only played this small number of games because of injuries, but, as long as he can remain injury-free, this time off will help him remain fresh at the back end of his career.

3. It's clear to me that Sonny has that extra something which makes him great. The steal on a very good player in Creagh (many people have criticised Creagh, but I don't think you will see a better one-on-one steal) is just one example of him coming through when his team needs it. There are a heap of very good players in this league, but only a few have that X-factor which lift them to greatness.

4. Sonny is not Tahu's bitch ;-)

As I said, I haven't seen Taylor play. But I hope for Bronco fans' sake that he becomes at least half as good as Sonny because you'll have a very good player on your hands.

Lol, how many times did you see Webcke dumped on his arse? Plenty, he's still the best front rower I've watched in my time.

Neither player is close to reaching their peak and it's really a stupid comparrison to make as Taylor has yet to make his mark on first grade with only a handful of games under his belt. My only concern for Sonny though is that by the time he reaches the age where normal footballers should be reaching their peak he may not physically be at his peak due to the amount of injuries he's had an particularly if he has any further major injuries.

yobbo84

Coach
Neither, I'd prefer Roy Asotasi for 5 years... wait a second.... :D

TBH if it were me I'd want Dave Taylor - we have plenty of backrowers and Cusack only has a year or two left, so it would be the logical choice for South Sydney.

salivor

First Grade
Still going? I really did stir you up didn't I sweatheart?

Back on topic, interesting to hear Tallis talking about Taylor yesterday saying that Webcke tried to hurt the kid for a couple of years and never once succeeded.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
SBW

I rate Taylor massively, I rate SBW massively, but SBW is already the man whereas you can't be 100% sure with Taylor yet, so it's a simple decision really.

mxlegend99

Referee
I'd take SBW.

He and Pritchard would make an awesome second row. Our front row is already really good. SBW is also a proven match winner.

Although i'd happily take both.

smeghead

Bench
Taylor for the fact you could sign him up long term on reasonable money.

No doubting SBW's talent but for the Tigers Taylor would be the best fit as we are missing one more big forward

Tommy Smith

Referee
A pretty silly question at this point in time. It's abit like saying who would you rather sign for the next 5 years: JT or the biggest young half prospect in the game? Of course you're going to take JT, and in this case SBW.

Because injuries aside you know you're going to get a truly elite player for 5 years time with SBW. With taylor its still too early to tell despite his talent. So i basically agree with what Theirry said.

But on top of that i wont hide the fact that i reckon SBW is the most talented forward since Artie Beetson...so Taylor would have to be something pretty ridiculously special to surpass Sonny-Bill.

scuzzi

Juniors
Taylor is a talented player and will play first grade for a long time to come. But Sonny Bill is a proven match winner and genuine superstar. For all we know Dave Taylor could become the next Carlaw :? , remember how much buzz was around Dane in 2000/2001. If you asked me whether i would sign Dave Taylor or Ben Hannant i'd sign Hannant cause he seems the safer bet.

salivor

First Grade
scuzzi said:
Taylor is a talented player and will play first grade for a long time to come. But Sonny Bill is a proven match winner and genuine superstar. For all we know Dave Taylor could become the next Carlaw :? , remember how much buzz was around Dane in 2000/2001. If you asked me whether i would sign Dave Taylor or Ben Hannant i'd sign Hannant cause he seems the safer bet.

And Carlaw could've and should've been all that the hype built him up to be. Janes problem was that he's pea-hearted. From all accounts Dave Taylor doesn't suffer from the same condition and has a very good head on his shoulders.