What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yawnion now chasing Slater

Twigg

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24673631-23214,00.html

Slater now on rugby radar

By Brent Read
November 19, 2008

Just a day after being crowned the world's best player, Kangaroos full-back Billy Slater has become a target for rugby union clubs across Australia.

Queensland high-performance manager Ben Whitaker confirmed the Reds were keen to speak to Slater if the Storm custodian had a genuine interest in switching codes.

Slater has a Mark Gasnier-type clause in his contract which allows him to leave Melbourne at the end of next season should he receive a lucrative offer from English Super League or rugby.

Given his form for club and country over the past year, union officials have had their ears pricked by the existence of the clause.

"I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't," Whitaker said when asked if he would investigate Slater's interest in a switch of codes. "I think he's one of those players that any code would definitely explore or have a look at having on board."

News of union's interest is the last thing Melbourne need given their salary cap position. The club are fighting to retain captain Cameron Smith following a lucrative offer from the Gold Coast.

The Storm have put talks with all players on hold until Smith's future is finalised.

The club have already indicated a desire to renegotiate Slater's deal, which he signed in 2007 when he was on the periphery of representative football.

Since then, he has produced one of the greatest seasons by a full-back in premiership history.

On Monday night, Slater was named international rugby league player of the year, beating a high-class field which also included Storm teammates Smith and Greg Inglis.

As a result of his performances for Melbourne, Queensland and Australia this year, Slater would rightly expect to become one of the highest earners in the game.

"He would be fantastic," Whitaker said.

"But they have to have a genuine desire to play the game. You do know playing our game can result in great financial rewards.

"We would definitely want to gauge pretty early whether he has an interest in playing the game. If it's just about upping his salary, we don't need that."

Rugby union's interest in Slater could yet affect Kangaroos team-mate Karmichael Hunt. Less than four months ago it was revealed the ARU and the provincial Super 14 side had expressed an interest in the Brisbane full-back.

Hunt, who has a background in rugby and is off contract at the end of next year, recently indicated he would prefer to remain in rugby league.
While he has never publicly expressed an interest in rugby, and has spoken of his contentment in Melbourne, Slater's head could be turned should the ARU put in a significant sweetener.

"He's a great player and I love watching him," dual international Michael O'Connor said. "To say he's automatically going to be a great rugby union player - I wouldn't say that."

What else is new. :roll: How about Yawnion does us a favour and dies in the arse.

PMSL! Why would Slater want to go to Union? Where would they play him? Fullback in Union is completely different to Fullback in League. Slater has zero kicking game for a start.

He is a quality footballer and would kill it in any code, but he would be wasted in Union. His game is more suited to League than it would be to Union.

probably outside centre in onion?

Would die of boredom out there. Maybe in Super 12 he would get a bit of ball, but if he made it to the Wallabies, he'd fall asleep out there. The lack of space between the defence and the attack and the line speed of teams like the All Blacks in defence tends to limit the amount of ball that the centres see in Union. When they do get the ball the defence is on top of them.

Slater is best when he hits the line at pace. TBH I think Fullback would still be his spot but he would have to develop a kicking game real quick. He would also have to realise that he can't take the line on, one on one off kick returns too often either.

adamkungl

Immortal
You can tell its a crock of sh*t when there isn't even a quote from a player manager.
How the f**k they managed to stretch a Union recruitment officer saying "he's a great player" into a full article is beyond me.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
Just a day after being crowned the world's best player, Kangaroos full-back Billy Slater has become a target for rugby union clubs across Australia.

There are rugby union clubs in Australia?

Thomas

First Grade
Reporter to RU Official: "Billy Slater would go well in rugby union, wouldn't he?"

RU Official: "Errr...I guess so...um..."

Reporter: "Awesome...got myself an article this week...the editor will be pleased".

What a crock article.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Union after League players, where's the story?

Interesting that this comes out during the World Cup final week. Have to grab some attention somehow I suppose.

Besides, who says Slater can't kick? Watch an opposition player dive for the tryline and tell me he can't kick. :sarcasm:

PMSL! Why would Slater want to go to Union?

mkpow2.jpg

Getting loads of Cash for doing nothing. I guess I can see the attraction.

He doesn't suit the game at all but lets not let that get in the way of another succesful poaching raid.

I can hear the boys at ARU headqurters now -

RU Boffin 1 - "Well Gent's who should we poach from League next?"

RU Boffin 2 - "I know, lets get that Billy Slater chappy, he looks rather alright"

RU Boffin 1 - "Tally Ho, there is a good suggestion old sport"

RU Boffin 2 - "Hurrah, then it is agreed! I shall go and get on the telephonic device now and make some inquiries as to what we can do next. Toodle Pip"

RU Boffin 1 - "Godspeed Sir and good luck on your trip. We will show those Rugby League lovers what for! You go and get him and I shall go and purchase a new jacket with tweed patches on the elbows as I have worn my old one out."

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Union after League players, where's the story?

Interesting that this comes out during the World Cup final week. Have to grab some attention somehow I suppose.

Besides, who says Slater can't kick? Watch an opposition player dive for the tryline and tell me he can't kick. :sarcasm:

Yep - let's just ignore this. Like Poland in the 30's and 40's - "nahh, they wouldn't invade us".

Rugby league now is different to the great days. Billy' dilemma. Play for a News Limited owned plaything that's been alive for 5 minutes. Get into weekend wrestling - 4 in a tackle. Grapple, grapple, grapple.

Your alternative - get paid $1 million p.a. and play internationals with room to run. Become a household name forever.

Gee - tough decision.

Pass the Ball

Juniors
Yep - let's just ignore this. Like Poland in the 30's and 40's - "nahh, they wouldn't invade us".

Rugby league now is different to the great days. Billy' dilemma. Play for a News Limited owned plaything that's been alive for 5 minutes. Get into weekend wrestling - 4 in a tackle. Grapple, grapple, grapple.

Your alternative - get paid $1 million p.a. and play internationals with room to run. Become a household name forever.

Gee - tough decision.

I like your humour..

It is stupid, but amusing none the less...

Latest posts